self-hosting a Sphinx documentation site

Cory Francis Myers

Sep 15, 2022, 8:48:59 PM9/15/22
to qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com
Hello, qubes-translation!

Thank you, m and Tobias, for your talk at the Qubes OS summit this past
weekend on your work on localizing Qubes's documentation. m, you and I
spoke afterwards about how the SecureDrop project recently moved our own
Sphinx documentation site from ReadTheDocs to self-hosting.
(Unfortunately, while the SecureDrop applications are localized, our
documentation is not.) You can find that work in the following pull
requests:

1. Sphinx generation
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop-docs/pull/295

2. ReadTheDocs-style theme tweaks and "Edit on GitHub" links
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop-docs/pull/301

I helped review this work but didn't implement any of it, but I can
confer internally if you have any questions.

--- cfm.

--
Cory Myers (he/him)
Senior Software Engineer, SecureDrop

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 15, 2022, 8:55:22 PM9/15/22
to Cory Francis Myers, qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com

Cory Francis Myers

Sep 15, 2022, 9:58:27 PM9/15/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 02:55:18AM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Can you give some insight about reasoning for the migration? Related
> issues point at a private repo...

The main motivation is to host our guide for submitting sources[1] as
much ourselves as possible, in order to limit the number of third-party
services (and trackers) they have to touch.

Towards that end, we also serve our self-hosted docs.securedrop.org with
an "onion-location" header. When we last tried that with ReadTheDocs,
via a reverse proxy, ReadTheDocs redirected back to the clearnet
address. (That was in 2018 and may have changed since then.)

--- cfm.

[1]: https://docs.securedrop.org/en/stable/source.html
signature.asc

mm

Sep 25, 2022, 5:33:41 PM9/25/22
to Cory Francis Myers, qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Please excuse the belated reply from my side and the belated thank you
for the infos! :)

All the best,