Re: L10n

Andrew David Wong

Oct 17, 2017, 10:43:31 PM10/17/17
to French Language Coordinator, tokidev, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com

On 2017-10-17 13:59, French Language Coordinator wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I started to post on the qubes-translation and asked your
> translator to do the same.
>
> I would like to advice your here not to break sentences or
> paragraphs mid-sentence into multiple strings. It is bad l10n
> practice and will lead to confusion and translation errors in the
> long run. Trust my experience in the matter.
>
> Here is an example: Resource introtxt String 16 "...to logging
> your keystrokes to" String 17 "...taking over your entire
> computer."
>
> I recommend you read our Contributor Roles & Guidelines to have a
> better view of what l10n and working with the Localization Lab
> entails. https://www.localizationlab.org/roles-guidelines
>
> I would be happy to answer any question you might have.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Alain-Olivier French language coordinator Localization Lab

Hi Alain-Olivier,

Our documentation guidelines already state that newlines should be
inserted at the end of each sentence:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines/#markdown-conventions

Previously, our documentation guidelines stated that the source should
be hard wrapped at 80 characters, but we made this change in February
specifically to facilitate localization:

Unfortunately, you may have found some old source text that was not
updated to meet the new guidelines. This is because our documentation
is maintained and edited mainly on a volunteer basis, and no one has
yet had time to make a thorough sweep of the existing source files.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org