Lock access to Transifex temporarily?

Tobias Killer

Nov 24, 2017, 2:41:23 PM11/24/17
to blacklight, Desobediente, qubes-translation

tokidev

Nov 25, 2017, 7:00:41 AM11/25/17
to Desobediente, blacklight, qubes-translation, Andrew David Wong
Hello, Desobediente,
hello, blacklight,
hello, Andrew,

@Desobediente: Thank you for your reply. I'm somewhat confused by it and
have some questions. So, let's check it.

@Andrew: Since this thread is about a big decision/step, I want you to
be in the loop. See [10] for the root of this thread which I've just
forwarded to you in a separate email.

@Desobediente @blacklight: In general, I encourage you to use trimmed
inline-style replies in your emails to make it easier for the recipients
to understand the context of your writings. See

@all: Sorry for my long emails. Since texts are often ambiguous, I try
to make clear what I want to say as well as in any way possible, thus,
resulting in longer emails.

Now the main thing:

Am 25.11.2017 um 00:00 schrieb Desobediente:
> On the Tails translation effort, the put-it-togheter work is done all
> with git. This is better not just because it's a wonderful tool, but
> because ikiwki (the site engine) itself uses git.

Here, you write that the put-it-together with Git is "better". What do
you mean by "better"? Better than what?

I've read the Tails' website about translation. As far as I can see, it
uses other means than we do with the Qubes OS doc (see below), but it
also has its advantages and disadvantages (like the use of Git for
inexperienced translators). Git is nice, I know, but in general, there
is always a trade-off, thus, there is never a "best" solution. The Qubes
OS team made some decisions in the past, already well before I appeared.
So, we have to deal with these decisions/restrictions. One example is
that Qubes OS uses Jekyll instead of Ikiwiki.

> As for the transifex people collaborating, the idea is to bring people
> who want to help but can't or won't use gobby, poedit, git, etc.

I'm confused here. In the previous paragraph, you praised Git. But here,
you don't. So, what do want to say?

> So it's more important to have the expected/proposed workflow well
> defined than to just open access to anyone do things their own way.
> Otherwise we would end up trying to put things together or even redoing
> work.

This looks like my thoughts on the need of a well-defined translation
workflow: As long as there is no proven workflow, the Transifex
translators shouldn't proceed in order to avoid mistakes when
"translating URLs" and "translating YAML headers" etc.. So, I think we
have the same idea, don't we?

Please note: The translation effort via Transifex already started around
May 2016 [9] but without a dedicated workflow AFAIK. So, since then, the
translators have access to "do things their own way", as you
(Desobediente) said, over a year now. Many old strings have been
translated meanwhile, but also many mistakes happened like translating
untranslatable YAML header key words, wrong URLs and such. And not a
single translated word appeared and appears online on the Qubes website.
So, seen from the perspective of the translators, they translate in a
potentially wrong way and even if they translate correctly, their
results don't show up on the target (Qubes) website. Thus, it's very
likely that the translation folk turn sour, as Alain-Olivier pointed out
in his email I referred you to.

So, analogously to what Alain-Olivier proposed, I suggest to

1. temporarily close access for the translators (with a hint that this
is only temporarily),
2. specify a translation workflow,
3. build an appropriate infrastructure (automated upload/download of
source files to/from Transifex etc.),
4. test it and
5. finally reopen access for the translators with references to the
workflow specification.

@all: What are your thoughts on this?

Last but not least, some general hints:

1. Please keep in mind that Qubes OS is an OS with focus on security.
Thus, decisions were and will be made with respect to security.

2. The Qubes OS website uses Jekyll [1] which is a static website
generator written in Ruby.
Thus, the source files are Markdown files with predecessing YAML
headers [2]
and HTML/CSS files with Liquid instructions [3].

3. For security reasons, Jekyll plugins (like those for l10n) will not
be used.
That's why I programmed a prototype of a language-switch [4] some
time ago, written in Liquid.
For Andrew and Marek, it looks good [5][6] but it still needs some
improvements.
In [6], there are also necessary steps to build the corresponding
infrastructure.

4. I already wrote a proposal for a translation workflow here [7],
discussed there [8].
Note that such a workflow also depends on the infrastructure we build.
The aim is to automate steps as well as possible. Thus, the
referenced workflow is still in progress and could become an easier one.

Although all these written things may look final to you, you may comment
it and propose your ideas, too, of course, since they are all just
proposals. Once we've found a solution we all agree to, we could go for it.

Regards
Tobias

[1] https://jekyllrb.com/
[2] https://jekyllrb.com/docs/frontmatter/
[3] https://github.com/Shopify/liquid/wiki
[4] https://github.com/tokideveloper/langswitch-prototype
[5]
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2930#issuecomment-317375022
[6]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-translation/prototype/qubes-translation/N0jj2Eu2x-E/KIR2FnXyAgAJ
[7]
https://github.com/tokideveloper/qubes-doc/blob/translation-workflow/basics_user/translation-workflow.md
[8] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2824
[9]
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1452#issuecomment-220690437
[10]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-translation/lock/qubes-translation/1-vaupTtINA/smz9F-kVBAAJ

signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Nov 25, 2017, 8:43:46 AM11/25/17
to tokidev, Desobediente, blacklight, qubes-translation

Andrew David Wong

Nov 25, 2017, 7:51:36 PM11/25/17
to Desobediente, tokidev, blacklight, qubes-translation

On 2017-11-25 10:08, Desobediente wrote:

> [...]
> e-mail, will check later.
>

>> So, analogously to what Alain-Olivier proposed, I suggest to
>>
>> 1. temporarily close access for the translators (with a hint that
>> this is only temporarily), 2. specify a translation workflow, 3.
>> build an appropriate infrastructure (automated upload/download
>> of source files to/from Transifex etc.), 4. test it and 5.
>> finally reopen access for the translators with references to the
>> workflow specification.
>>
>> @all: What are your thoughts on this?
>>

> Is step 1 necessary for the rest? Because when we close it, people
> can/will understand it various ways. And not always will the
> communication be perfect as to what was the reason for closing
> their access. If we could skip that step it would be smoother I
> think. But I don't have an answer as to what is the best way to do
> step 1 in a smooth way nor how can we do without it, altought I

IMO, it sounds like the main consideration regarding Step 1 is how
much time it would take to do the rest of the steps. If it'll only
take a week, for example, then closing access probably isn't worth the
trouble. But if it'll take more than a month, it's probably worth it.

> ---
>
> I've read some things you've already done and it looks like it
> needs more hands to continue it and not let it sit. I'm willing to
> jump in, but I'm also short on time ATM.
>
> This e-mail I'm using don't have write permission on the
> qubes-translation googlegroups.

Any idea why? I just verified the settings for qubes-translation.
Everyone is allowed to post without restriction, even non-members.
There are no messages caught in the spam filter, either, so I'm not
sure why your messages aren't appearing on the Google Groups
interface. It's possible that they're just delayed and will show up
there eventually.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Andrew David Wong

Nov 25, 2017, 8:02:39 PM11/25/17
to Desobediente, tokidev, blacklight, qubes-translation

Tobias Killer

Nov 26, 2017, 4:55:55 AM11/26/17
to Andrew David Wong, Desobediente, blacklight, qubes-translation

@Desobediente: I see, okay, it's a Tails thing. Not related to Qubes OS.

>>> I've read the Tails' website about translation. As far as I
>>> can see, it uses other means than we do with the Qubes OS doc
>>> (see below), but it also has its advantages and disadvantages
>>> (like the use of Git for inexperienced translators).
>

>> On the contrary, the inexperienced translators are presented to
>> transifex, it's the core people, familiar and comfortable with
>> git which uses it.

@Desobediente: I don't get it due to English problems, sorry.
I guess you want to say that
- - the core developers of Tails are familiar with Git and use it and
- - the Git-inexperienced translators don't need to use Git and can
translate using the Transifex interface instead.

@Desobediente: Okay.

@Desobediente: I see. This is what I've guessed above.

@Desobediente: Maybe. ;-)

@Desobediente: Nice!

>>> Please note: The translation effort via Transifex already
>>> started around May 2016 [9] but without a dedicated workflow
>>> AFAIK. So, since then, the translators have access to "do
>>> things their own way", as you (Desobediente) said, over a year
>>> now.
>

>> Which I don't think it's a desirable thing. People must have a
>> limit on their freedom to do what they want so things can stay
>> sufficiently organized for everyone. Rephrase that sentence with
>> your favorite philosophical group work's motto if you wish, but
>> that's the main idea.

@Desobediente: Sorry, I've English problems again.
I just wanted to say that currently there is chaos at Transifex, due
to the lack of an appropriate workflow and of translation rules. So,
IMHO, it's better to pause that until we've both a workflow and
translation rules.

>>> Many old strings have been translated meanwhile, but also many
>>> mistakes happened like translating untranslatable YAML header
>>> key words, wrong URLs and such.
>

>> This is such a thing that could be avoided if we had a chart
>> explaining how the workflow should be done

Exactly. As I just mentioned.

>>> And not a single translated word appeared and appears online
>>> on the Qubes website.
>>>

>> I suppose it's our task to send work to mr. Wong so he can
>> update the site directly. Or any of us could send pull requests
>> to the git repository as well, and it would be eventually
>> accepted (see, git rocks! can't avoid it!)

I see, I see, you really love Git. And it rocks indeed, yeah! ;-) But
this here is not Tails. This is Qubes OS and things happen differently
here.

The current rough idea is that translations will be made *exclusively*
via Transifex. So, currently, Qubes OS won't accept translations that
have been made using Git branches (this is different from the Tails
workflow). Since Qubes OS doesn't have enough people involved in
translation, they cannot afford to review and accept/reject
Git-branch-made translations. If Qubes OS had a lot more of helping
hands, like Tails has, this could be an additional way. But currently,
they can't afford it.

>>> So, seen from the perspective of the translators, they
>>> translate in a potentially wrong way and even if they translate
>>> correctly, their results don't show up on the target (Qubes)
>>> website. Thus, it's very likely that the translation folk turn
>>> sour, as Alain-Olivier pointed out in his email I referred you
>>> to.
>>>

>> I'm not sure I got that e-mail. I haven't accessed my riseup
>> e-mail, will check later.

Indeed, it has been sent to your riseup account.
Subject is "Fwd: Re: L10n".
Date/time is 29.10.2017 21:17 (CET).

>>> So, analogously to what Alain-Olivier proposed, I suggest to
>>>
>>> 1. temporarily close access for the translators (with a hint
>>> that this is only temporarily), 2. specify a translation
>>> workflow, 3. build an appropriate infrastructure (automated
>>> upload/download of source files to/from Transifex etc.), 4.
>>> test it and 5. finally reopen access for the translators with
>>> references to the workflow specification.
>>>
>>> @all: What are your thoughts on this?
>>>

>> Is step 1 necessary for the rest? Because when we close it,
>> people can/will understand it various ways. And not always will
>> the communication be perfect as to what was the reason for
>> closing their access. If we could skip that step it would be
>> smoother I think. But I don't have an answer as to what is the
>> best way to do step 1 in a smooth way nor how can we do without
>> it, altought I believe it can be done both ways.

@Desobediente: Step 1 IS necessary for not to hurt the translators'
feelings.

Imagine you're a translator at Transifex. You spend many days in
thoroughly translating. After a couple of weeks later, you visit the
Qubes OS website and wonder why you can't see your work there. So, you
ask the Qubes OS developers where your hard work is. And the only
correct (and honest!) answer is that the stuff you translated is much
too old (there are much newer versions of the texts while the old
stuff you translated is totally outdated) or it contains a lot of
mistakes (like incorrect URL translating, wrong YAML front matter
translating etc.). How would you feel now?

Also note that closing access does NOT mean saying "We don't like your
work." or something. We just could thank them for their hard work and
say that due to unsolved problems we need some time to make
translations easier and errors avoid. Meanwhile the translators may
translate other projects on Transifex. When we're done, we can re-open
the access again.

I think that we are not the first project where such a step is
necessary. I could ask Transifex for help. I'm quite sure that they
know how to do it the smooth way.

> IMO, it sounds like the main consideration regarding Step 1 is how
> much time it would take to do the rest of the steps. If it'll only
> take a week, for example, then closing access probably isn't worth
> the trouble. But if it'll take more than a month, it's probably
> worth it.

@all: I think that it'll take more than a month, Andrew. Also remember
that the current stuff there is very old. So, current translations are
a waste of time anyway.

>> ---
>
>> I've read some things you've already done and it looks like it
>> needs more hands to continue it and not let it sit. I'm willing
>> to jump in, but I'm also short on time ATM.
>
>> This e-mail I'm using don't have write permission on the
>> qubes-translation googlegroups.
>

> Any idea why? I just verified the settings for qubes-translation.
> Everyone is allowed to post without restriction, even non-members.
> There are no messages caught in the spam filter, either, so I'm
> not sure why your messages aren't appearing on the Google Groups
> interface. It's possible that they're just delayed and will show
> up there eventually.

@Desobediente: Or do you mean access to a Google account?
Or is it due to blocked scripts (javascript etc.) or something?
How do you know that you don't have write permission? Are there error
messages? Where and when do they show up?

Regards
Tobias

Andrew David Wong

Nov 26, 2017, 6:34:37 AM11/26/17
to Blacklight447, tok...@posteo.de, aindate...@gmail.com, qubes-translation

On 2017-11-26 05:19, Blacklight447 wrote:
> Hello tokidev,desobiente.
>
> Ive looked into the problem that you described and i too, vote for
> temponarly locking translation efforts. I think a first good step
> would be to update the translation where it is needed, but then we
> hit a second issue, do we want to provide to old documentation or
> not, and if yes, how will do this? One option could be to provide
> both versions on the same page, and highlighting which
> documentation is for which version of qubes, or keeping legacy
> documentation on a seperate page. I would like to know your
> opinion on this matter.

Managing version-specific Qubes documentation is a distinct issue
from translating Qubes documentation into other languages. Let's keep
these topics separate, please.

The current plan is to display information for both Qubes 3.2 and
Qubes 4.0 in clearly-labeled sections on the same page.

P.S. - Please keep the list CCed and avoid top-posting.

> -------- Original Message -------- On Nov 24, 2017, 8:41 PM,
> Tobias Killer wrote:
>
>> Hello, blacklight, hello, Desobediente, There is the question if
>> (A) we should lock access (making it impossible to contribute)
>> to the project on Transifex until a working bi-directional
>> process is running (as Alain-Oliver recommended in an email you
>> received from Andrew on 29.10.2017 21:17 CET) or if (B) we spend
>> more time on Transifex helping translators. My answer/proposal to
>> that problem is: Yes, we should indeed lock access for the
>> following reasons: - As long as we are lack of a specification of
>> "how to translate", we cannot solve translation issues reported
>> by translators. - The strings being translated today are pretty
>> old (from 2015?) and differ heavily from the versions today. -
>> Since a working translation infrastructure is not within reach
>> yet, the translators currently do hard but useless work, even if
>> we would upload the current texts. - Doing useless stuff, as
>> pointed out in the previous item, may annoy people. This is
>> probably the most important fact to consider, also mentioned by
>> Alain-Olivier. What are your comments, views and proposals on
>> this? BTW: On the "qubes-translation" mailing list, there are
>> many emails with many, many proposed steps, considerations, goals
>> and so on. You may have a look at these (Attention: A lot of
>> text!). Regards, Tobias Killer

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Andrew David Wong

Nov 26, 2017, 3:47:34 PM11/26/17
to Desobediente, Tobias Killer, blacklight, qubes-translation

Blacklight447

Nov 26, 2017, 3:53:55 PM11/26/17
to a...@qubes-os.org, aindate...@gmail.com, tok...@posteo.de, qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com
This too, was the reason i temponarly did not cc the group. I thought I was the only obe encountering the issue.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Dec 9, 2017, 6:22:13 AM12/9/17
to Desobediente, Andrew David Wong, blacklight, qubes-translation

Am 26.11.2017 um 21:27 schrieb Desobediente:
> With regard to how people would feel about not having their
> translations accepted, I've saw it happening because a friend of
> mine sent work to the portuguese tails translation mailing list and
> so far nor me nor anyone else accepted it. She's an understanding
> person to a point, but eventually she won't contribute anymore
> because of those problems. So for my personal experience I can see
> how would it impact people, and I fully agree we should coordinate
> things to avoid those problems.

Fine!

BTW: Recently, I explained the problem (that probably a big amount of
the translators' work will probably end up in the trash) to other
non-involved, non-tech people. And they say that it's even better to
tell the truth right in the face than the case that the translators
spot it by themselves. They could feel deceived.

> As for everything I wrote in english, you got it all right Tobias.
> We seem to have an understanding even though we have to use this
> horrible intermediary language.

Yes. :-)

> Regarding the point on step 1 and the main concern here, I endorse
> Andrew's contributions, and I insist we should lock anything as a
> last resort, do it carefully and dedicate to unlock it as soon as
> possible.

I don't know the email (or whatever) you refer to. Could you please
cite Andrew?

The only email I found where Andrew talked about step 1 is this one
(excerpt):

Am 26.11.2017 um 01:51 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> IMO, it sounds like the main consideration regarding Step 1 is how
> much time it would take to do the rest of the steps. If it'll only
> take a week, for example, then closing access probably isn't worth
> the trouble. But if it'll take more than a month, it's probably
> worth it.

But even in this quotation, I don't see that we should lock anything
"as a last resort", as you called it. As far as I understand Andrew,
it's just about if it's worth it.

And yes, I think it's worth it. The problem was first mentioned by
Alain-Olivier (the French Language Coordinator) back in October 2017.
So, it's almost two months ago, now. Also note that there're still
many difficult decisions to make, difficult scripts to write and much
stuff to test until a working bi-directional process between Qubes and
Transifex can run.

@all:
I have a new suggestion. My considerations for this are:

- - As far as I can see, now as Transifex project maintainers, we're
able to lock single resources, rather than all resources at once.
(Note that Alain-Olivier has suggested to lock at least resources that
change heavily.)
- - Also, we're able to post project announcements now.

So, my new idea now is not to lock single heavily-changing resources
(since this (1) would be difficult to find out and (2) doesn't solve
the problem of the lack of translation guidelines which are necessary
even for seldom-changing resources), but to post an announcement where
we thank the translators and the language coordinators for their hard
work, and that the coordinators may move the translators to other
projects temporarily until solutions to some internal issues could
have been found. We could also send this to the language coordinators
in private but I think it's better to go the public way.

So, what do you think about this?

@Blacklight:
AFAIK on 30.10.2017 you wrote some emails to qubes-translation and
addressed Alain in the email body but not in the "To" field. So, I'm
not sure if Alain got them at all. Could you just look it up? (Thank
you for your work back then and today!)

@Desobediente @Blacklight:
I didn't ask Nina (the Transifex supporter we asked in the past) yet.
Could one of you please describe the problem and ask her for help and
suggestions? Please don't forget to CC to the qubes-translation
mailing list.

Kind regards,
Tobias Killer

Andrew David Wong

Dec 9, 2017, 2:39:42 PM12/9/17
to Tobias Killer, Desobediente, blacklight, qubes-translation

tokidev

Dec 10, 2017, 7:52:24 AM12/10/17
Am 09.12.2017 um 20:39 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> On 2017-12-09 05:21, Tobias Killer wrote:
>> [...] @all: I have a new suggestion. My considerations for this
>> are:
>
>> - As far as I can see, now as Transifex project maintainers, we're
>> able to lock single resources, rather than all resources at once.
>> (Note that Alain-Olivier has suggested to lock at least resources
>> that change heavily.) - Also, we're able to post project
>> announcements now.
>
>> So, my new idea now is not to lock single heavily-changing
>> resources (since this (1) would be difficult to find out and (2)
>> doesn't solve the problem of the lack of translation guidelines
>> which are necessary even for seldom-changing resources), but to
>> post an announcement where we thank the translators and the
>> language coordinators for their hard work, and that the
>> coordinators may move the translators to other projects
>> temporarily until solutions to some internal issues could have been
>> found. We could also send this to the language coordinators in
>> private but I think it's better to go the public way.
>
>> So, what do you think about this?
>

> No need to make things so complicated, IMO.

I tried to find a compromise with Desci. But I think you're right here. :)
signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Dec 10, 2017, 4:09:20 PM12/10/17
to Blacklight447, Desobiente, tokidev, qubes-translation

Tobias Killer

Dec 12, 2017, 8:44:53 AM12/12/17
to Andrew David Wong, Blacklight447, Desobiente, qubes-translation

Hello @all,

Am 10.12.2017 um 22:09 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> On 2017-12-10 15:00, Blacklight447 wrote:
>> What would be the most appropriate way to let the translators
>> know, maybe we can send them a message via transifex? We could
>> also send out an announcement on the qubes-translation list, or
>> both.
>

> Send a message or announcement via Transifex that they can't miss.
> We shouldn't assume that every Transifex translator monitors the
> qubes-translation ML. Both is fine.

I agree.

I've just written a proposal for such an announcement:

"
Dear translators,
Dear coordinators,

Thank you for your hard work on translating Qubes OS!

Due to open internal discussions of how to solve several translation
issues and due to the lack of integration of the translations on our
website, we've decided to lock access for translations temporarily.
This way, we all will be spared of waste of effort. Once these
problems are solved, we'll re-open access to the resources again. The
process of solving might take some months.

If there are concerns, you may contact as via email to
<qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com>.

Kind regards,
The Qubes OS Translation Team
"

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Tobias

yaho...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2017, 4:49:38 PM12/15/17
to qubes-translation
Hello to all,

Sorry for not answering any sooner, but I wasn’t aware of this post being here.

From what I gather from reading this long post, you decided to temporary lock access to the Transifex Qubes project. We can do that for you by archiving it, and we can also take care of making the announcement to the Qubes language teams.

I’ll contact Andrew David directly for him to confirm that this is what you want.

Best regards,

Alain-Olivier
French language coordinator
localizationlab.org | transifex.com/organization/otf
5C8F 0C0C 4812 7771 365C 262D 47DC 6187 47A9 22D2