2021 GSoD is open for Qubes (deadline March 26)

Michael Carbone

Feb 10, 2021, 6:36:01 AM2/10/21
to qubes-...@googlegroups.com
OpenPGP_signature

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 17, 2021, 10:47:51 AM3/17/21
to qubes-project
Hey Michael,

Just pinging you about this. I already updated the GSOD page for 2021.
I intend to participate in GSoD with Qubes :)

Michael Carbone

Mar 18, 2021, 1:42:44 PM3/18/21
to qubes-...@googlegroups.com
hey Enjeck,

thanks so much, I really appreciate the help! and the interest ;)

FYI I looked at the GSoD instructions and they are quite new for this year:

https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-guide#the_organization_application_process

that is, we need to select *one* documentation project proposal, then
write basically a project proposal about it:

https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/org-proposal-template

so if you (or others) are interested in a particular project, let's
discuss it and then submit a proposal for it.

Michael
OpenPGP_signature

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 19, 2021, 1:09:38 PM3/19/21
to qubes-project

> so if you (or others) are interested in a particular project, let's
> discuss it and then submit a proposal for it.

I'm interested in the "Improve Disposable VMs documentation" project.
I'm not completely sure about all it entails yet, but I can do some research and assist in the proposal submission process.

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 21, 2021, 9:25:22 AM3/21/21
to qubes-project
Hi Michael,

On second thought, I'll prefer to work on "Installation Guide for Qubes OS on Virtual Machines". I was able to install Qubes 4.0.3 on VirtualBox a while back, and I believe I can do the same for Qubes 4.1 and write an installation guide for this.

It looks like the doc development period for GSoD should last about 6 months. The current projects are too short to last 6 months. So we can merge two project ideas into one? If yes, then I propose "Installation Guide for Qubes OS on Virtual Machines" and "Improve Disposable VMs documentation".

Regards,
Enjeck Cleopatra.

Michael Carbone

Mar 22, 2021, 4:47:21 PM3/22/21
to qubes-...@googlegroups.com, Marek Marczykowski
hey Enjeck,

sounds great to me, tho for the proposal let's frame it as one project
not two.

can you build a proposal using the below template based on this?

also you can choose your budget based on your estimated time, it should
be between $5000-$15000 (don't sell yourself short, try to get as much
out of google as you can):

https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/org-proposal-template#project_budget

if you could draft as pull request to the GSoD page (or in riseup pad
etc) I will tweak/finalize and then submit.

does that sounds good?

Michael

On 3/21/21 9:25 AM, Enjeck Cleopatra wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On second thought, I'll prefer to work on "Installation Guide for Qubes OS
> on Virtual Machines
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/gsod/#installation-guide-for-qubes-os-on-virtual-machines>".
> I was able to install Qubes 4.0.3 on VirtualBox a while back, and I believe
> I can do the same for Qubes 4.1 and write an installation guide for this.
>
> It looks like the doc development period for GSoD should last about 6
> months. The current projects are too short to last 6 months. So we can
> merge two project ideas into one? If yes, then I propose "Installation
> Guide for Qubes OS on Virtual Machines
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/gsod/#installation-guide-for-qubes-os-on-virtual-machines>"
> and "Improve Disposable VMs documentation
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/gsod/#improve-disposable-vms-documentation>".
OpenPGP_signature

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 24, 2021, 10:30:36 AM3/24/21
to qubes-project

> does that sounds good?

Yep :)

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 24, 2021, 10:47:56 AM3/24/21
to qubes-project
Hi Michael,

> sounds great to me, tho for the proposal let's frame it as one project
not two.

I made a mistake. I mistakenly said that this GSoD session will last for six months. The GSoD timeline should last 6-8 months, including the application period. So, we may decide to use 3 months for doc development, and in this case, we won't need to merge two projects into one. What should we do? One project in 3 months? Or two projects (framed as one) in 6 months?

Michael Carbone

Mar 25, 2021, 7:29:29 AM3/25/21
to qubes-...@googlegroups.com
hi Enjeck,

On 3/24/21 10:47 AM, Enjeck Cleopatra wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> sounds great to me, tho for the proposal let's frame it as one project
> not two.
>
> I made a mistake. I mistakenly said that this GSoD session will last for
> six months. The GSoD timeline should last 6-8 months, including the
> application period. So, we may decide to use 3 months for doc development,
> and in this case, we won't need to merge two projects into one. What should
> we do? One project in 3 months? Or two projects (framed as one) in 6
> months?

if you're comfortable/interested in both, we do can both framed as one.

here is the finalized proposal on my side:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/gsod-qubes-2021

I bumped your per-hour to 25$ to make it an even $12,000 proposal.

I have added to gsod page:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/1125

and will submit today, let me know if you have any further tweaks here
or as merge request!

looking forward to collaborating :)

Michael
OpenPGP_signature

Enjeck Cleopatra

Mar 25, 2021, 7:50:50 AM3/25/21
to qubes-project
> if you're comfortable/interested in both, we do can both framed as one.

This is fine by me

I left a few comments :)

Michael Carbone

Mar 25, 2021, 6:32:31 PM3/25/21
to qubes-...@googlegroups.com
submitted! thanks Enjeck & Marek for help, crossing fingers! :)
OpenPGP_signature