Qubes 4.1.0-beta1

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 10, 2021, 10:45:47 PM7/10/21
to qubes-devel

Hello all,

I've uploaded new (officially signed) prerelease of R4.1, it isn't
"alpha" anymore, it's "beta". If you feel brave, please test!

The installation image can be downloaded from:

https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.iso
https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.iso.asc
https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.iso.DIGESTS
https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.torrent

In-place upgrade
- ----------------

In-place upgrade is also possible:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-dist-upgrade

Then, look at `sudo qubes-dist-upgrade --help` and follow instructions.

You can also watch video of a test upgrade here:
https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/19727#downloads
It starts with installing R4.0 and then proceeds with the update to R4.1.
Some extra steps there are to ease diagnosis in the test environment,
you don't need to use 'script' tool, nor execute any of the 'sed'
commands. The final part is about testing basic functionality after
upgrade.

Be careful before "STAGE 4" - if you have modified
/etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo (for example by enabling testing
repositories), after "STAGE 3" you will need to apply changes saved into
/etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo.rpmnew manually.
There are also few more things not handled by the in-place upgrade yet:

If any stage fails, it should be safe to simply retry (potentially after
fixing what it was complaining about).
But, in any case, making a full backup before is strongly recommended.

Release notes and what remains until final release

There are several documentation tasks left, including release notes -
draft (some content still in comments) is available here:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/828

There are also few remaining code changes to be merged, you can follow
it at https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/projects/6
But even with those tasks not done yet, I've decided to build the "beta"
image, so it's easier to test it. At this point, I don't consider any
major changes anymore, there will be few minor ones, and a lot of bug fixes.
So, it's going to be more and more stable.

After merging those few features, there will be R4.1.0-rc1 and the
strict release schedule kicks in:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/version-scheme/#release-schedule

Reporting bugs
- --------------

There are many, for sure. The standard place for reporting bugs is
qubes-issues repo on github[1]. But, before opening new issue, please
search if there isn't one for that problem already. In some cases, it
may be better to discuss a problem on a forum first - they issue may be
somewhere else than it seems on the first look. We have dedicated
category for testing R4.1 [2]. It is also possible to creating a thread
on the forum via email - by sending a message to testing-4.1 at forum.qubes-os.org.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues
[2] https://forum.qubes-os.org/c/user-support/testing-4-1/24

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
Message has been deleted

Frédéric Pierret

Jul 14, 2021, 5:44:52 AM7/14/21
to grzegorz....@gmail.com, qubes-devel
Hi,

Le 7/14/21 à 10:15 AM, grzegorz....@gmail.com a écrit :
> is qubes-dist-upgrade supposed to be available in alpha images?
> Screenshot from 2021-07-14 10-15-00.png

qubes-dist-upgrade is a tool for upgrading from R4.0 to R4.1

Best,
Frédéric

OpenPGP_signature
Message has been deleted