Generic CPUID Mask for AnonVMs

WhonixQubes

Apr 24, 2015, 3:54:38 PM4/24/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Generic CPUID Mask for AnonVMs

Is this to be added to issue tracker?

Implement Xen CPUID Generic Profile for Whonix-Workstation HVM AnonVMs.

> Xen has support for emulating CPUID for HVM guests -- take a look at
> the
> config examples in:
>
> xen-4.1.6.1/tools/examples/xmexample.hvm-stubdom
>
> I haven't played with it, but see no reasons it should not work. I can
> imagine we introduce a prefs for VMs (say "generic_cpuid" settable via
> qvm-prefs) that would be resulting in additional config for cpuid
> emulation inserted in the config file for such VMs. We would need to
> agree on good-enough-for-everybody CPUID config and stick to it then.
> Again, this would be use-able for anon VMs mostly.

Brought up and discussed with Joanna in this thread:

- https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-devel/EXrWFgEp5Sg

Especially:

- https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/EXrWFgEp5Sg/w_j1XozM_sIJ

- https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/EXrWFgEp5Sg/nNay9cfQ6GwJ

- https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/EXrWFgEp5Sg/mLk6wmywl74J

- https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/EXrWFgEp5Sg/SR-KMw4ngVcJ

Thanks!

WhonixQubes

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 24, 2015, 4:04:48 PM4/24/15
to WhonixQubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

WhonixQubes

Apr 24, 2015, 4:18:11 PM4/24/15
to marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-04-24 1:04 pm, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:54:36PM -0700, WhonixQubes wrote:
>> Generic CPUID Mask for AnonVMs
>>
>> Is this to be added to issue tracker?
>
> Yes, that's a good idea.
> Anyway I don't think it will be possible to implement this anytime
> soon,
> because of very limited support for HVM templates - especially you
> can't
> start the template and VM based on it simultaneously, which is required
> to update the whonix-gateway template.
> Most likely required features for this will be available in Qubes 4.0
> (see roadmap in Joanna's post).

Great! :)

Actually, if this changes things...

I don't think(?) we need the Whonix-Gateway as HVM, rather only
Whonix-Workstation as HVM, and keep Whonix-Gateway as PVM since it is
isolated from AnonVM workspace.

So for template updates:

Whonix-Gateway PVM TemplateVM could be launched with Whonix-Gateway PVM
ProxyVM.

Whonix-Workstation HVM TemplateVM could be launched with Whonix-Gateway
PVM ProxyVM.

Joanna also said:
"Thus, perhaps we should consider distributing Whonix workstation
template as an HVM template instead of a PVM one? Fortunately we do have
templates support for HVMs, so this should be perfectly possible."

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 24, 2015, 4:28:24 PM4/24/15

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 01:18:10PM -0700, WhonixQubes wrote:
> On 2015-04-24 1:04 pm, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> >
> >On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:54:36PM -0700, WhonixQubes wrote:
> >>Generic CPUID Mask for AnonVMs
> >>
> >>Is this to be added to issue tracker?
> >
> >Yes, that's a good idea.
> >Anyway I don't think it will be possible to implement this anytime soon,
> >because of very limited support for HVM templates - especially you can't
> >start the template and VM based on it simultaneously, which is required
> >to update the whonix-gateway template.
> >Most likely required features for this will be available in Qubes 4.0
> >(see roadmap in Joanna's post).
> >

> Great! :)
>
> Actually, if this changes things...
>
> I don't think(?) we need the Whonix-Gateway as HVM, rather only
> Whonix-Workstation as HVM, and keep Whonix-Gateway as PVM since it is
> isolated from AnonVM workspace.
>
> So for template updates:
>
> Whonix-Gateway PVM TemplateVM could be launched with Whonix-Gateway PVM
> ProxyVM.
>
> Whonix-Workstation HVM TemplateVM could be launched with Whonix-Gateway PVM
> ProxyVM.

Indeed, so this makes the things much easier. There are still some problems,
but much easier to solve. For example our current libvirt does not allow
to pass kernel cmdline to HVM[1], but this is a minor problem.

[1] Discussion on this here, somehow stalled...
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2015-March/msg01127.html

> Joanna also said:
> "Thus, perhaps we should consider distributing Whonix workstation
> template as an HVM template instead of a PVM one? Fortunately we do have
> templates support for HVMs, so this should be perfectly possible."

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab