I am unable to install .iso from USB stick

Индарил Шприц

Sep 5, 2013, 9:35:11 AM9/5/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
the error look somewhat like this:

Grub loading stage 1.5

Error 17

I used this instruction
http://qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/InstallationGuide#BurningtheISOontoaDVDorUSBstick
this .iso file
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/qubesos/Qubes-R2-Beta2-x86_64-DVD.iso?r=http%3A%2F%2Fqubes-os.org%2Ftrac%2Fwiki%2FQubesDownloads&ts=1378380548&use_mirror=optimate
and the command
dd if=Qubes-R2-Beta2-x86_64-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdf

I think this happens because
/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
file doesn't contain the following line:
insmod iso9660

I tried to patch the file with
apt-get install isomaster
but new .iso is not bootable from flash drive at all.

What I should do to complete the installation?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 5, 2013, 9:56:09 AM9/5/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Индарил Шприц
Try legacy boot (not EFI).

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

signature.asc

Индарил Шприц

Sep 6, 2013, 9:45:32 AM9/6/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Индарил Шприц

Try legacy boot (not EFI).

I don't understand how to do this exactly.
I tried to use R1 .iso, and it installs. But everyone recommend to use R2-Beta2.
In the R2-Beta2 there are no files for non-EFI grub.

So now I learn how to use grub-efi

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 6, 2013, 9:50:47 AM9/6/13
On 06.09.2013 15:45, Индарил Шприц wrote:

>> Try legacy boot (not EFI).
>>

> I don't understand how to do this exactly.

In the BIOS.

> I tried to use R1 .iso, and it installs. But everyone recommend to use
> R2-Beta2.
> In the R2-Beta2 there are no files for non-EFI grub.

But why do you want to use grub there? There is syslinux/isolinux setup to
start installer.

> So now I learn how to use grub-efi

This problably will not work anyway... This is much more than simple start
grub-efi there. At least multiboot (xen) must be set up correctly.
signature.asc

Индарил Шприц

Sep 6, 2013, 10:30:16 AM9/6/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Индарил Шприц

>> Try legacy boot (not EFI).
>
> I don't understand how to do this exactly.
In the BIOS.

There is no EFI-related settings in my BIOS (how to display BIOS version from command line?)

See attachment for output of
dmidecode >rep.txt
But why do you want to use grub there? There is syslinux/isolinux setup to
start installer.

Somehow it gives me "Error 17", that is why i decide that this was grub. I will try again.

rep.txt