Fedora vs Silverblue

Outback Dingo

Jun 28, 2022, 12:14:10 AM6/28/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Curiously, I often wonder why Qubes itself, as it claims to be
security enhanced, relies on Fedora, and not Silverblue or Kinoite
spins.

I remember back in the day when it was plasma based, and actually was
pretty decent.

Silverblue/kinoite provides ostree and more reasonable updating
methods, it's also based on fedora so now quite sure as to why you
continue down the fedora vanilla path, other then maybe the work
involved to switch out the base os flavor.

It would surely add another layer of security having an immutable Os
that is updateable with rpm-ostree update and rollback capability.

Any enlightenment is appreciated

Frédéric Pierret

Jun 28, 2022, 3:30:58 AM6/28/22
to Outback Dingo, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Le 6/28/22 à 06:13, Outback Dingo a écrit :
We already discussed that with Marek a while ago and this is something we want to take a look at. Right now, the reason is...we totally lack human resources to study and work on that subject among all others tasks we have to do.

Best regards,
Frédéric
OpenPGP_signature

Outback Dingo

Jun 28, 2022, 4:16:31 AM6/28/22
to Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com
well, i guess one could ask someone like me to join up and work on
developing the solution, after all its going to be mostly build system
modifications for "repos", then sorting out how it build a final image
with ostree
There is also the variant rpm-ostree that is now the default, no more
dnf/rpm standard.

> Best regards,
> Frédéric

Frédéric Pierret

Jun 28, 2022, 4:38:04 AM6/28/22
to Outback Dingo, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Le 6/28/22 à 10:15, Outback Dingo a écrit :
I would say the first step would be to create a template because we are going away from Fedora for dom0 soon or later (when sys-gui-gpu would be stable) and it's probably going to be something like Yocto. Marek can give more info.

Best regards,
Frédéric
OpenPGP_signature

Outback Dingo

Jun 28, 2022, 5:36:01 AM6/28/22
to Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 3:38 PM Frédéric Pierret
You mention Yocto, as I'm quite familiar with it, would also be a good
choice, especially with ostree onboard and the array of OTA update
methods available. There is a similar in concept project though lxc
based called OverC from wind river
yet thats basically partitioning "various machine instances" for iot
based type stuff they call "cubes", though there is a "cube-desktop",
XFCE based also that can be built with it.

> Best regards,
> Frédéric

Dylanger Daly

Jun 28, 2022, 6:29:47 AM6/28/22
to qubes-devel
I just wanted to go on record and say I strongly, strongly support this, Fedora Silverblue could probably at some point replace Xen's dom0, it's fantastic.

Outback Dingo

Jun 28, 2022, 6:50:03 AM6/28/22
to Dylanger Daly, qubes-devel
On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 5:29 PM Dylanger Daly <dylang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to go on record and say I strongly, strongly support this, Fedora Silverblue could probably at some point replace Xen's dom0, it's fantastic.

Okay, great to hear, though there is also yocto rumours about also,
and yes its exactly what I meant, to replace anything fedora 3X with
Silverblue, even dom0 and templates.