unable to restore (beta3) VM's

nqe mail

Sep 14, 2012, 3:47:07 AM9/14/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been using qubes since beta3 and before new install of R1 I made a qvm-backup of my VM's. Now, when trying to perform a restore to R1 I get an error.
"QubesException: Invalid characters in VM name at line 177"

I've checked the names used (qubes.xml) and they only contain either "-"  or "_" as the extras. Any pointers? I'll try and see if some renaming gets it done.

For the HCL:
Dell Precision M4600 Intel Core i7-2860QM
16GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
EMEA Intel Pro Wireless 6300

Hardware works as expected. (have not tested the bluetooth)
For the disposable VM I had to follow the directions from 'Steve Coleman' as the wiki entry is missing the last bit ($qvm-create-default-dvm --default-template --default-script) for me to get it working.

'Reasonably' :-) happy user of qubes,

nqe.

Marek Marczykowski

Sep 14, 2012, 6:57:15 AM9/14/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, nqe mail
On 14.09.2012 09:47, nqe mail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using qubes since beta3 and before new install of R1 I made a
> qvm-backup of my VM's. Now, when trying to perform a restore to R1 I get an
> error.
> "QubesException: Invalid characters in VM name at line 177"
>
> I've checked the names used (qubes.xml) and they only contain either "-"
> or "_" as the extras. Any pointers? I'll try and see if some renaming gets
> it done.

'_' is missing on allowed chars set. I will add it, but for now you can either
add it yourself (a) or rename VMs (b).
a) Edit /usr/lib64/python/site-packages/qubes/qubes.py, about line 488 is
verify_name function, the regexp should be: r"^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]*$".
b) To rename VM, you need to edit qubes.xml (name attr) and also rename
directories in your backup.

"a" option looks easier :)

> For the HCL:
> Dell Precision M4600 Intel Core i7-2860QM
> 16GB ram
> NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
> EMEA Intel Pro Wireless 6300
>
> Hardware works as expected. (have not tested the bluetooth)
> For the disposable VM I had to follow the directions from 'Steve Coleman'
> as the wiki entry is missing the last bit ($qvm-create-default-dvm
> --default-template --default-script) for me to get it working.

Thanks!

--
Best Regards / Pozdrawiam,
Marek Marczykowski