Updating Maven documentation and moving quasar-maven-plugin to core distrib

Volkan Yazıcı

Oct 6, 2017, 3:14:57 AM10/6/17
to quasar-pulsar-user
Hello,

In the Quasar documentation, I think, Maven/Gradle-related parts give a wrong impression to the user. Maven and Gradle are known to be "build" tools, though they can also be leveraged to run an application with all its required artifact dependencies. That being said, I don't think anybody is using this functionality to really run an application. You first "build" your code and either distribute it as a library or create a [executable] fat JAR. In this sense, Quasar documentation has 3 major shortcomings:
  1. Almost no Java backend developer really cares about Maven/Gradle executable plugin, since they ship their application as a standalone JAR. So documentation serves no purpose in this aspect, IMHO.
  2. Documentation acts like Quasar's AOT capabilities are available to Maven/Gradle, while it is not.
  3. There is already an unofficial quasar-maven-plugin (which I happen to developing and maintaining since 2014) which delivers the AOT compilation Maven/Gradle users want.
So here is my proposal to end this sad situation:
  1. Distribute quasar-maven-plugin as a core component of the project.
  2. Update the documentation to provide information on Maven/Gradle support developers are really looking for.
So... WDYT?

Cheers!