Preview extension: Quarkus Vixen

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 17, 2021, 6:01:19 AM11/17/21
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Quarkus Vixen is ready for public review. It is an old-school Web Framework for Quarkus, built around RESTEasy Reactive, Hibernate ORM with Panache and Qute. It is a model/view/controller framework inspired by Ruby on Rails and Play Framework 1. As such, it's a bit outdated compared to more modern client-side frameworks, but it is so nice to write applications with it that you may find yourself enjoying it for small or large projects.

I've successfully ported older still-in-production Play Framework 1 applications to it, so it's already functional.

The extension lives currently in a branch at https://github.com/FroMage/quarkus/tree/vixen with its documentation quite extensive and at https://github.com/FroMage/quarkus/blob/vixen/docs/src/main/asciidoc/vixen.adoc but you will need to build the vixen branch and install it locally.

There's a sample demo Todo application at https://github.com/FroMage/quarkus-vixen-todo for you to check, featuring user registration, email, views, actions, database, user tags, security, most of it.

Note that we're not sure if this extension will end up in the Quarkus main repo or in the Quarkiverse and that it's still very experimental.

Please feel free to try it out and comment and give feedback.

For non-native English speakers, a vixen is a female fox. This is because this framework is cunning and cute :) I would have called it Renarde, in French, but I figured nobody would be able to pronounce it ;)
--
Stéphane Épardaud

Antonio Goncalves

Nov 17, 2021, 10:02:19 AM11/17/21
to Quarkus Development mailing list
And you can even use WebJars ! I already love it ;o)

Antonio Goncalves
Contractor, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Author Pluralsight | Devoxx France | Voxxed Microservices

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 17, 2021, 10:05:47 AM11/17/21
to Antonio Goncalves, Quarkus Development mailing list
They're very handy to not wonder how to get and where to place JS/CSS parts. I woudn't recommend anything else.

--
Stéphane Épardaud

Antonio Goncalves

Nov 17, 2021, 10:43:45 AM11/17/21
to Stephane Epardaud, Quarkus Development mailing list

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 17, 2021, 10:55:06 AM11/17/21
to Antonio Goncalves, Quarkus Development mailing list
Haha 😂 well, I wanted renarde 🦊 initially, but figured every one would complain like for panache because nobody could pronounce it. Vixen is the literal term for a female fox, I'm pretty sure 🤷‍♂️

Sebastien Blanc

Nov 17, 2021, 10:58:35 AM11/17/21
to Stephane Epardaud, Antonio Goncalves, Quarkus Development mailing list

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 17, 2021, 11:02:14 AM11/17/21
to Sebastien Blanc, Antonio Goncalves, Quarkus Development mailing list
I hear french people pushing for the renarde name in French ;) fine by me!

Ioannis Canellos

Nov 17, 2021, 11:31:15 AM11/17/21
to stephane...@gmail.com, Sebastien Blanc, Antonio Goncalves, Quarkus Development mailing list
It's not just the multiple meanings and the connotations to a certain industry, it will also score terribly on search engines. Renarde is easier to search and sounds nice (even to non French folks like me). +1