Quarkus JFR extension

Bruno Baptista

May 23, 2024, 9:26:52 AMMay 23
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Hi all,
We have a new extension proposal about to be merged into Quarkus core repo, It's quarkus-jfr.
By adding this extension, you can add custom Quarkus events to the JFR stream. This will help you solve problems in your application.
These events can be logged into a file for later analysis.
If OpenTelemetry is present events can include tracing and span id to provide a better context.

Please take a look to the PR, you can still review and contribute:

Cheers!

Max Rydahl Andersen

May 23, 2024, 10:42:21 AMMay 23
to Bruno Baptista, Quarkus Development mailing list

Not only is this adding Quarkus specific events but also provide a user guide on how to actually utilise jfr. Very good stuff.

One question (also on PR) any docs and/or recommendations to extension writers on how they should go about adding JFR events?

Yoann Rodiere

May 23, 2024, 12:09:47 PMMay 23
to mand...@redhat.com, Bruno Baptista, Quarkus Development mailing list
> If OpenTelemetry is present events can include tracing and span id to provide a better context.

Nice to see this, I was wondering how to do it.

FWIW Hibernate ORM has started implementing some light form of tracing using JFR events... I suppose such events couldn't be auto-magically translated into OpenTelemetry traces? You need to create your events a certain way to get that?

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate Team

Bruno Baptista

May 23, 2024, 1:28:49 PMMay 23
to Yoann Rodiere, mand...@redhat.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
There is nothing like that, to my knowledge, because of how complex it would be to keep correlation of events at the source.
There are other things done with JFR, this is one example: https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-java-instrumentation/tree/main/instrumentation/runtime-telemetry/runtime-telemetry-java17/library
It allows metrics production from the jvm.