Quarkus lambda live coding revamp

William Burke

Jul 29, 2021, 5:38:26 PM7/29/21
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Here's the PR.  Revamped Quarkus Lambda extensions a bit.

PR:  https://github.com/quarkusio/quarkus/pull/19108

Lambda extensions have been revamped to support live coding and improved testing. A special test library is no longer needed to be added to start testing with lambdas. Lambda extension will automatically start a mock AWS Lambda event server that can be invoked upon using HTTP. This mock server is available in dev mode and tests. The quarkus lambda poll loop is now always started for test and dev mode and is driven by the mock server.

For quarkus-amazon-lambda-http and -rest, the mock server will convert HTTP requests to the corresponding API Gateway event type so that the quarkus lambda poll loop can process them and execute quarkus lambda http/rest extension code paths. For http/rest you can also send raw events to http://localhost:8081/_lambda_

  • Tests and example now use Rest Assured
  • quarkus-test-amazon-lambda library has been deprecated. Support for this library is backward compatible and if included in test classpath event server will not start.

--
Bill Burke
Red Hat

Stuart Douglas

Jul 29, 2021, 6:19:59 PM7/29/21
to Burke, Bill, Quarkus Development mailing list
Is this ok to go into a hardening release or should it wait till 2.3?

Stuart

William Burke

Jul 29, 2021, 7:03:13 PM7/29/21
to Stuart Douglas, Quarkus Development mailing list
I don't know.  Its pretty new so I guess wait until 2.3?

Alexey Loubyansky

Jul 30, 2021, 3:32:16 AM7/30/21
to William Burke, Stuart Douglas, Quarkus Development mailing list
Just to remind the release schedule, in case it helps, the 2.2.0.Final core release date is August 25th.

Loïc MATHIEU

Jul 30, 2021, 5:40:54 AM7/30/21
to Alexey Loubyansky, William Burke, Stuart Douglas, Quarkus Development mailing list
Hi Bill,

I wonder if this mock event server could be made amazon agnostic (or if we can extract most of the code to an abstract class amazon agnostic) so we can reuse it in other function extensions (Azure, Google Cloud, generic Cloud Event, ...) ?

Regards,

Loïc

William Burke

Jul 30, 2021, 9:16:07 AM7/30/21
to Loïc MATHIEU, Alexey Loubyansky, Stuart Douglas, Quarkus Development mailing list
FYI, the quarkus amazon extension has a poll loop that polls the event server for events.  This is how lambda does things.

We don't have a poll loop for azure, don't know about google cloud, so, no, I don't think its reusable.  For HTTP, the HTTP->API Gateway event conversion is AWS specific.  Even so, its not a lot of code anyways.  Really simple stuff.

William Burke

Aug 9, 2021, 3:02:21 PM8/9/21
to Loïc MATHIEU, Alexey Loubyansky, Stuart Douglas, Quarkus Development mailing list
Would be cool to get a review and/or approval on this.  On vacation until next Monday, so no rush: