Quarkus and Okhttp dependencies

Guillaume Smet

Mar 13, 2023, 11:15:10 AM3/13/23
to Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com
Hi,

We are in a bit of a problematic situation with Okhttp:
- the newer versions are dependent on the Kotlin runtime (and we don't really like that)
- the old ones have a CVE, we are not directly affected, but as we enforce the old version in our BOM, the situation is not ideal

We started some work to get rid of the dependency: the Kubernetes Client for instance does not depend on Okhttp anymore but is using the Vert.x web client.

Unfortunately, that was the top of the iceberg as we have several other dependencies requiring Okhttp:

Extensions:
- Infinispan via an OpenTelemetry dependency and directly (opentelemetry-exporter-otlp-common)
- OpenTelemetry via opentelemetry-exporter-otlp-common again
- Jaeger via jaeger-thrift

Test framework:
- Infinispan again via org.infinispan:infinispan-server-testdriver-core -> org.infinispan:infinispan-client-rest (note that there is a dependency convergence issue in Infinispan, the extension and the test framework depend on different versions of Okhttp)
- the Kubernetes Client test extension is still depending on Okhttp via io.fabric8:kubernetes-server-mock

So while the situation has slightly improved thanks to the work on the Kubernetes Client, the situation is still messy.
I'm not sure if we always actually need Okhttp and, if we don't, it might be a good start to exclude it.
If we do, I think we need to come up with a plan for each use case reported above.

Thoughts?

For the record, here are the various dependency trees:

+-io.quarkus:quarkus-test-infinispan-client:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
  +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-testdriver-core:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
    +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-runtime:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
      +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-hotrod:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
        +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-core:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
          +-io.opentelemetry:opentelemetry-exporter-otlp-common:jar:1.23.1:compile
            +-com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:4.10.0:runtime
and
+-io.quarkus:quarkus-test-infinispan-client:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
  +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-testdriver-core:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
    +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-runtime:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
      +-org.infinispan:infinispan-client-rest:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
        +-com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:3.14.9:compile
and
+-io.quarkus:quarkus-test-infinispan-client:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
  +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-testdriver-core:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
    +-org.infinispan:infinispan-server-runtime:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
      +-org.infinispan:infinispan-client-rest:jar:14.0.6.Final:compile
        +-com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp-sse:jar:3.14.9:compile
          +-com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:3.14.9:compile

-----

[ERROR] io.quarkus:quarkus-test-kubernetes-client:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
[ERROR]    io.fabric8:kubernetes-server-mock:jar:6.5.0
[ERROR]       io.fabric8:mockwebserver:jar:0.2.2
[ERROR]          com.squareup.okhttp3:mockwebserver:jar:3.12.12
[ERROR]             com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:3.12.12
[ERROR]                com.squareup.okio:okio:jar:1.15.0 <--- banned via the exclude/include list

-----

[ERROR] io.quarkus:quarkus-jaeger:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
[ERROR]    io.jaegertracing:jaeger-thrift:jar:1.8.1
[ERROR]       com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:4.9.3
[ERROR]          com.squareup.okio:okio:jar:2.8.0

-----

[ERROR] io.quarkus:quarkus-opentelemetry:jar:999-SNAPSHOT
[ERROR]    io.opentelemetry:opentelemetry-exporter-otlp-common:jar:1.23.1
[ERROR]       com.squareup.okhttp3:okhttp:jar:4.10.0
[ERROR]          com.squareup.okio:okio-jvm:jar:3.0.0

--
Guillaume

Bruno Baptista

Mar 13, 2023, 11:58:13 AM3/13/23
to Guillaume Smet, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com
Ideally, OTel shouldn't be coupled to a particular client...
Will discuss with them.

Roberto Cortez

Mar 13, 2023, 7:52:58 PM3/13/23
to Bruno Baptista, Guillaume Smet, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun
Hi,

Unfortunately, both the HTTP and gRPC exporters provided by OpenTelemetry use Okhttp. We cannot exclude it.

I’ve found this issue where some folks are having problems with OTel with Okhttp:

I don’t think we have an easy way out. We can either:

- Write our own HTTP / gRPC exporter
- Propose an SPI in OTel that allows us to change the backing HTTP client easily.

I prefer us to avoid having to write and maintain our exporter, but realistically it is the faster option.

Cheers,
Roberto

Marc Nuri San Felix

Mar 14, 2023, 9:28:27 AM3/14/23
to Guillaume Smet, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com
Hi,

From the Kubernetes Client side, the only dependency to OkHttp comes from the Kubernetes Mock server (as you said).

Our goal was to bump OkHttp to the latest 4.x version now that Quarkus uses Vert.x instead of OkHttp. Given that the mock server is a test dependency, is the Kotlin runtime dependency still a problem? Refactoring the Mock Server out of the client would be a considerable task. If it's not a problem, my suggestion would be to align all of the test framework modules to use the latest OkHttp version, this would certainly be the easiest and fastest solution.

BR
--
Marc

Holly Cummins

Mar 14, 2023, 2:50:07 PM3/14/23
to guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com

We are in a bit of a problematic situation with Okhttp:
- the newer versions are dependent on the Kotlin runtime (and we don't really like that)
- the old ones have a CVE, we are not directly affected, but as we enforce the old version in our BOM, the situation is not ideal

A dependency on kotlin would be less intrusive for Quarkus 3, because Kotlin is no longer loaded parent-first, so we don’t get that parent-first ripple through the codebase we used to see.

(I’m not advocating we bring the latest version in, just pointing out something that’s changed recently.)

Bruno Baptista

Mar 15, 2023, 6:10:47 AM3/15/23
to Holly Cummins, guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com
Hi
This will be discussed in the OTel Java SIG meeting tomorrow.
It remains uncertain whether a new SPI will be approved or if its implementation is feasible with the current codebase, however there is some interest in moving to the standard JDK HTTP Client.
Let's see what the discussion leads to.

If we need to do a custom exporter I would prefer to do it upstream on the OTel side.
In any case, there is no quick solution for this problem.
Cheers

Max Rydahl Andersen

Mar 16, 2023, 4:45:38 AM3/16/23
to Holly Cummins, guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com

Its worth remembering the issue with okhttp dependency is not on Kotlin as such but on kotlin standard library - which is great and all;
but if you care about being able to make reproducible builds (which more and more people do) introducing a whole new toolchain at such a low level is quite problematic.

That's where the problem lies. Then adding on top the issues of modules etc.

/max
https://xam.dk/about

Max Rydahl Andersen

Mar 16, 2023, 4:48:48 AM3/16/23
to Marc Nuri San Felix, Guillaume Smet, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com

I don't think we know the answer to it yet. Issue is that kotlin stdlib itself has transitive dependencies so if we don't lock the versions things gets problematic quite fast.

With the new (to me :) info that open telemetry at its core has a hard dependency on okhttp it is problematic.

/max
https://xam.dk/about

Max Rydahl Andersen

Mar 16, 2023, 4:50:57 AM3/16/23
to Bruno Baptista, Holly Cummins, guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com

Might be worth sharing with them that kubernetes client managed to extract their http interactions so it was feasible to have custom http clients allowing them to use the client optimize for their runtime stack.

Might be worth something as core as open telemetry to explore that option.
/max
https://xam.dk/about

Stuart Douglas

Mar 16, 2023, 7:25:27 AM3/16/23
to mand...@redhat.com, Holly Cummins, guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com
On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 at 19:45, Max Rydahl Andersen <mand...@redhat.com> wrote:

Its worth remembering the issue with okhttp dependency is not on Kotlin as such but on kotlin standard library - which is great and all;
but if you care about being able to make reproducible builds (which more and more people do) introducing a whole new toolchain at such a low level is quite problematic.

Also AFAIK it will lock you into a specific version of Kotlin, which will almost certainly become problematic at some point.

Stuart

Roberto Cortez

Mar 16, 2023, 9:12:40 AM3/16/23
to Max Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Holly Cummins, guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun
We can also write our own custom exporter. We just use the one provided by OTel.

For users, this will be transparent because the OTel extension includes the exporter, so we can just replace it.

brunobat

Mar 17, 2023, 5:38:49 AM3/17/23
to Quarkus Development mailing list
We discussed this subject yesterday, at the OTel Java SIG.
Would implement the OTlp exporter using the stock JDK HTTP client would be good enough?
On the meeting there was concern on creating an SPI for this due to its complexity.
Cheers.
Bruno

Georgios Andrianakis

Mar 17, 2023, 5:58:01 AM3/17/23
to brun...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:39 AM brunobat <brun...@gmail.com> wrote:
We discussed this subject yesterday, at the OTel Java SIG.
Would implement the OTlp exporter using the stock JDK HTTP client would be good enough?

I don't see why not.

On the meeting there was concern on creating an SPI for this due to its complexity.

What kind of complexity?

Bruno Baptista

Mar 17, 2023, 6:39:28 AM3/17/23
to Georgios Andrianakis, Quarkus Development mailing list
Georgios Andrianakis <gand...@redhat.com> escreveu no dia sexta, 17/03/2023 à(s) 09:57:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:39 AM brunobat <brun...@gmail.com> wrote:
We discussed this subject yesterday, at the OTel Java SIG.
Would implement the OTlp exporter using the stock JDK HTTP client would be good enough?

I don't see why not.

On the meeting there was concern on creating an SPI for this due to its complexity.

What kind of complexity?

To start with, the person who originally implemented the exporter is no longer part of the project.
It has many layers, many configs and with time, other exporters were created on top of the common functionality using OkHttp.
I'm taking a deeper look and documenting how it works...

Georgios Andrianakis

Mar 17, 2023, 6:40:54 AM3/17/23
to Bruno Baptista, Quarkus Development mailing list
On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 12:39 PM Bruno Baptista <brun...@gmail.com> wrote:

Georgios Andrianakis <gand...@redhat.com> escreveu no dia sexta, 17/03/2023 à(s) 09:57:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:39 AM brunobat <brun...@gmail.com> wrote:
We discussed this subject yesterday, at the OTel Java SIG.
Would implement the OTlp exporter using the stock JDK HTTP client would be good enough?

I don't see why not.

On the meeting there was concern on creating an SPI for this due to its complexity.

What kind of complexity?

To start with, the person who originally implemented the exporter is no longer part of the project.
It has many layers, many configs and with time, other exporters were created on top of the common functionality using OkHttp.
I'm taking a deeper look and documenting how it works...

Okay, so no real problems, just a lack of proper abstractions currently.
Thanks

Roberto Cortez

Mar 17, 2023, 8:56:34 AM3/17/23
to Georgios Andrianakis, Bruno Baptista, Quarkus Development mailing list
Yes, even other exporters provided by OTel, like Jaeger delegate to the Okhttp implementation.

There is already an issue with a similar discussion:

OTel minimum Java version is 8, so they would also need to support an MR JAR with the JDK 11 implementation and keep something for 8.

There is already a generic SPI for the SpanExporter (used by the default Okhttp implementation), which would allow plugging a Vert.x based exporter, for instance. We may need to try to implement it and propose the missing pieces. Due to the nature of the exporters, which can be over any protocol (not just http), I’m not sure if there is any again in going more specific at the SPI level.

Cheers,
Roberto

Guillaume Smet

Jul 20, 2023, 7:32:59 AM7/20/23
to Quarkus Development mailing list, Alexey Loubyansky, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com
My understanding is that Georgios made progress on this for OpenTelemetry? Is the OpenTelemetry situation completely solved?

If so... and if we drop SmallRye OpenTracing and quarkus-jaeger from the tree, I *think* we could limit our Okhttp exposure to tests and get rid of it in the BOM.

If the answer to the first question is yes, could we consider dropping SmallRye OpenTracing and quarkus-jaeger from the tree for 3.3? In that case, I could start an experiment and see if we could drop it from our BOM.

I'm not completely sure if getting rid of it in our BOM will completely get rid of it in the Platform BOM though as it would still be present in test dependencies. @Alexey Loubyansky WDYT?

--
Guillaume

Georgios Andrianakis

Jul 20, 2023, 7:35:46 AM7/20/23
to guillau...@gmail.com, Quarkus Development mailing list, Alexey Loubyansky, kar...@redhat.com, marc...@redhat.com, Christophe Laprun, radc...@yahoo.com, brun...@gmail.com
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 2:33 PM Guillaume Smet <guillau...@gmail.com> wrote:
My understanding is that Georgios made progress on this for OpenTelemetry? Is the OpenTelemetry situation completely solved?

Yup, OpenTelemetry no longer depends on OkHTTP

Bruno Baptista

Jul 21, 2023, 3:51:40 AM7/21/23
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Hi all,
If no one objects, I'm in favor of dropping SmallRye OpenTracing and quarkus-jaeger.
In the past we already announced that we were going to drop SR OpenTracing but I don't remember doing the same for quarkus-jaeger.
In any case we should drop them. Should we target this for Quarkus 3.3 or 3.4?
Cheers
Bruno Baptista

Roberto Cortez

Jul 21, 2023, 5:37:17 AM7/21/23
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Yes, feel free to drop SR OpenTracing and Jaeger.

Should we move these to Quarkiverse?

Bruno Baptista

Jul 21, 2023, 9:53:41 AM7/21/23
to radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Yes, I think we shouldn't just delete the extensions.

Georgios Andrianakis

Jul 21, 2023, 9:55:04 AM7/21/23
to brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
+1 for removing from core and moving to the quarkiverse

George Gastaldi

Jul 21, 2023, 10:03:44 AM7/21/23
to Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Juat a friendly reminder that before moving to Quarkiverse, it would be nice to make sure someone will actually maintain them and if there is a future for these extensions. Let's avoid ending up with dead extensions in Quarkiverse.

Bruno Baptista

Jul 21, 2023, 10:08:29 AM7/21/23
to ggas...@redhat.com, Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
So... What's the solution?
Marked them as read only or archived in Quarliverse?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Quarkus Development mailing list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quarkus-dev/CAMmsnJjYgbu1SwO_Zn7wR7hxoEjcD_4-QaASJCnxtZN_Hn_O7g%40mail.gmail.com.

George Gastaldi

Jul 21, 2023, 10:18:07 AM7/21/23
to Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
I'd suggest to mark them as deprecated and remove from core in a future release. No need to move to Quarkiverse if there is no future for them

Max Rydahl Andersen

Sep 15, 2023, 6:14:55 AM9/15/23
to George Gastaldi, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list

I missed this as backlog from mail during pto.

What was the conclusion of these?

IMO it's fine to have extensions in quarkiverse that is just "last release" rather than remove them.
Really depends on how much usage they had in case someone wants to take it over it's better to have them properly archived than just "vanish".

We already in past defined how we deal with extensions moving out of core:

  • move to quarkiverse repo
  • setup maven redirects as long as it makes sense (possibly forever)
  • let it grow (or archive) independently

Maybe we should write this down somewhere more prominent :)

/max

Bruno Baptista

Sep 15, 2023, 6:19:36 AM9/15/23
to Max Rydahl Andersen, George Gastaldi, Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
I can say that the quarkus-opentelemetry extension after quarkus 3.3.x uses a Vert.x based exporter. No OkHttp anymore.

Max Rydahl Andersen

Sep 15, 2023, 6:42:54 AM9/15/23
to Bruno Baptista, George Gastaldi, Georgios Andrianakis, brun...@gmail.com, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list

> I can say that the quarkus-opentelemetry extension after quarkus 3.3.x uses
> a Vert.x based exporter. No OkHttp anymore.

Yes - I got that part; sorry for the ambiguity in my mail.

It was the removal/moving of Smallrye OpenTracing and Jaeger I was asking to.

/max

> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
> https://redhat.com
>

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM Max Rydahl Andersen <mand...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I missed this as backlog from mail during pto.
>>
>> What was the conclusion of these?
>>
>> IMO it's fine to have extensions in quarkiverse that is just "last
>> release" rather than remove them.
>> Really depends on how much usage they had in case someone wants to take it
>> over it's better to have them properly archived than just "vanish".
>>
>> We already in past defined how we deal with extensions moving out of core:
>>
>> - move to quarkiverse repo
>> - setup maven redirects as long as it makes sense (possibly forever)
>> - let it grow (or archive) independently

>>> --
>> email to quarkus-dev...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quarkus-dev/CAMmsnJiv%2BwH0x6FcVtEwgsdtVCw77J8FY0VKJF8V_%2BSD0yqrOg%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quarkus-dev/CAMmsnJiv%2BwH0x6FcVtEwgsdtVCw77J8FY0VKJF8V_%2BSD0yqrOg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Bruno Baptista

Sep 15, 2023, 8:12:36 AM9/15/23
to Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, George Gastaldi, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Right…
George didn’t what us to move abandonware to Quarkiverse and I can understand that.
Should we move these deprecated extensions to Quarkiverse anyway or should we find another place for them?

George Gastaldi

Sep 15, 2023, 8:31:39 AM9/15/23
to Bruno Baptista, Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Having this extension in Quarkiverse means someone will eventually ask for improvements.

Again, If there are zero plans (and people) to maintain/support it I'd prefer to have it deprecated and removed from core in a later release than to move to Quarkiverse and introduce redirects that nobody will ever test if/when a breaking change in Quarkus comes up.

Let's not use it as an extension graveyard (maybe we can create a separate org for that?).

Guillaume Smet

Sep 15, 2023, 9:03:15 AM9/15/23
to ggas...@redhat.com, Bruno Baptista, Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
I don’t know.

If we move it to Quarkiverse, keeping them working might be easy anyway and we could do it and community members could do it if we don’t.

If we drop the extension, that’s not an option.

George Gastaldi

Sep 15, 2023, 9:13:34 AM9/15/23
to guillau...@gmail.com, Bruno Baptista, Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
To me “keep them working” implies that the extension is somewhat going to be maintained but I understand this is not the case here. Maybe we haven’t made that clear in the wiki, but one of the requirements of having it in Quarkiverse is that we need someone to be pinged (the extension lead) if a problem in the extension appears (CVEs, Quarkus core API breakages, etc.)

Best Regards,

George Gastaldi

Bruno Baptista

Sep 15, 2023, 9:20:24 AM9/15/23
to George Gastaldi, guillau...@gmail.com, Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
I guess that poor fellow would be me, no worries about that.
Bruno

George Gastaldi

Sep 15, 2023, 9:23:43 AM9/15/23
to Bruno Baptista, guillau...@gmail.com, Max Rydahl Andersen, Bruno Baptista, Georgios Andrianakis, radc...@yahoo.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Ah, that’s fine by me then, let’s do it ;)