Gearbox Woes

Tony Hart

Oct 19, 2021, 11:54:21 AM10/19/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Since I bought the 2+2 last year I've sorted out most of it problems (it was DIRE!). But one thing I've never got to the bottom of is the gear change.

The lever is floppy & has no "feel". At first I put this down to a worn linkage, but I've refurbished all of that & it's only a little better - I can at least tell which gear it might be about to select. Having trawled the internet, it looks like the early Fiestas had gear selection feel - the "gates" if you like, in the selector, while the later ones had it in the gearbox. Certainly My car has an early gearbox & a late gear change so that's a plausible suggestion.

Anyone know enough about Fiesta gearboxes to confirm?

Anyone had a similar problem & fixed it?

Jim Hearne

Oct 21, 2021, 4:37:44 PM10/21/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are exactly right, the early gearbox and late linkage is a bad combination that will cause the problems you describe.
The only real fix is to have a matching pair, the gearbox changed internally when the gate was fitted there so retrofitting the gate isn’t really an option.

I suppose theoretically you might be able to make an external gate plate to go over the gearchange lever to make sure it only moves in valid paths.

Jim

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/7b0ebb1e-e836-4898-8ff2-24a6758b4983n%40googlegroups.com.

Tony Hart

Oct 27, 2021, 1:08:25 PM10/27/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Thanks for confirming my theory, I've thought about a Ferrari style gate plate, but the gearstick is quite thick & the "slots" would actually overlap at the height of the centre console. I could 3D print a box to raise the plate, but it's all getting a bit messy. I'll see what I can find on Ebay ........