Saloon broken down on way to work, help please haha

Mick L

Aug 7, 2023, 8:30:05 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
So on the way to work this morning the old girl decided to cough and splutter then stop.

Been a engineer I had all my tools in the boot so I went at all hoping I could just be an hour late.....well Im sitting in my office at home now so yeah, it didn't go well haha. Recovery truck brought me home, quickly at least thanks to fluxs multi company breakdown affair.

Carb filter was full of black crap

Pump was stripped at roadside and tested. All working fine.

Fuel lines blowable but no draw from pump when connected.

My diagnosis, death by E10 maybe so pin holes in fuel lines creating too much vacuum for the pump to draw up with? This a working pump with ok diaphragm but no fuel?

 I'm just on rushing to get a new hard line front to back now with new rubber ends as Giuli needs the car for work at 7. This would happen now wouldn't it  as our other cars just failed its test for rot last week doh.

Would everyone agree with my assessment? Hope it cures it regardless as times tight haha.

Mick

Derek Clews

Aug 7, 2023, 9:04:13 AM8/7/23
to Quantum Owners Club, Derek Clews
Hi Mick

Been there.  Fresh can of petrol and new pipe direct to carb should prove it one way or another, then work back through the system.  I admit to only buying premium so no E10 ever.

Derek

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/AM9P193MB082394B8119B77C451104F1AE50CA%40AM9P193MB0823.EURP193.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Jim Hearne

Aug 7, 2023, 9:05:18 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
It’s either from the inside of the fuel pipes or could it be rust from the tank ?
It’s always worth fitting one of those clear plastic inline filters so any debris will be caught in that instead of the carb.
Plus it’s easier to see if anything is coming through that shouldn’t.

Jim

Darren Siepka

Aug 7, 2023, 9:16:47 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
You could confirm it is the line back to the tank by running a temp hose from pump to a can next to it.
With the new hose from pump to carb if nothing gets pulled up then it's the pump(hopefully not the case).
As Jim suggests, always fit an online filter to catch any muck in the lines .
Are your lines cupronickel as they should stay in good condition.
Darren

Jim Hearne

Aug 7, 2023, 9:20:17 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Doesn’t E10 fuel cause corrosion in Copper and cupronickel  fuel pipes ?

Jim

Mick L

Aug 7, 2023, 11:31:49 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Just tradional copper hard line but she only runs on super. The previous nugget had whatever In as he admitted so It could of freed it up.

It's had a new sender at some point recent and there is some crap in the tank no doubt but not alot.  The lines from tank to tunnel have been done recently I can tell when sender was done but the rest is original.

Tanks off now and I'm just about to put a new feed line on and a new larger inline. The pump wasn't full of rubbish just the filter so the new lines should restore vacuum pressure to fuel pump In theory. Wish me luck break over and back at it.

Mick L

Aug 7, 2023, 11:36:06 AM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Very correct Jim.

After a Google I think it would corrode a terminator if you give it long enough haha, awful stuff it seems.

Aug 7, 2023, 1:57:31 PM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The 2+2 has cupronickel fuel lines run inside the car !! with rubber fuel pipe i fitted in 1998 so probably need changing, good thing it’s not on the road.
The saloon has Nylon fuel lines robbed from a car at the breakers and rubber a few rubber pipes fitted in 2007 so also probably needs them replacing but I’ve got to drain the system anyway to replace the lift pump and get rid of all 2007 fuel.

Darren Siepka

Aug 7, 2023, 5:53:56 PM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
So I asked the hard core E85 user's on the ECU group I chat with, they all seem happy with the cupronickel pipe being safe .
They did advise caution on selection of the rubber hose quality  but those that can use PTFE lined stuff.
Phew!

Darren

Mick L

Aug 7, 2023, 9:21:02 PM8/7/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Well it all ended in failure sadly. Still have no fuel so suspect the tank is restricting the lines above :(

Do people run spacers pn the tank to stop it going to too far ? Sick as a chip £70 to get to work and back tomorow now and it to fix. Oh a 4 hours sleep now, what a crap day

Aug 8, 2023, 3:56:33 AM8/8/23
to Quantum Owners Group
Black crap in carb could be rubber hoses degrading internally. If pump not pulling worth checking smalll filter in tank and also tank breather is clear. As already suggested a decent inline filter before carb is really required to protect carb - some model  Webers have internal filter but it is very coarse.
I re-plumbed my saloon with SS braided PTFE hose and AN fittings througout apart from very small temporary section connecting carb which was done with R9 spec rubber hose.
John

Jim Hearne

Aug 8, 2023, 3:58:59 AM8/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
There should be space on top of the tank for the fuel pipes without having to put spacers in.
The tank (especially if it’s the bigger one) is already quite low on the Quantums so i would avoid making it lower if you can.

list...@liberator-systems.co.uk

Aug 8, 2023, 7:25:29 AM8/8/23
to Quantum Owners Group
I can sympathise with your frustration - BTDT
So have you now replaced all fuel lines - hard & rubber? Are your tank feed & return pipes the original plastic type? (see pic).
If car was running OK problem unlikekly to be pipe crush. Anyway no need to lower tank - plastic pipes clear ok.
A small vacuum pump can help check each section of fuel system.
Unless a new hardline is accidently folded I think favourite is blockage due to crud in tank. Maybe take sender out and check filter or syphon some fuel out of bottom of tank and see what it looks like?
Good luck anyway.
20210121_133601.jpg

Jim Hearne

Aug 8, 2023, 7:38:17 AM8/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you ran over something that hit the bottom of the fuel tank, or somebody has jacked up the car under the tank (maybe the recovery company) and that has pushed the fuel filter on the end of the pickup pipe hard onto the end of the pipe and blocking it off ?
The pickup is above the lowest circular recess in the bottom of the tank.

Mick L

Aug 8, 2023, 9:49:51 AM8/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I'll be looking again tonight once home buddy. Shattered still but I'll soldier on. Do people ever space the tanks from body? I wondered if it was nipping the lines on top of too close.

Thanks
Mick

Sent: 08 August 2023 11:38

Mick L

Aug 8, 2023, 5:05:14 PM8/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
All sorted with some tank spacers.....phew and thanks for the help everyone :)
Sent: 08 August 2023 13:49

Jim Hearne

Aug 8, 2023, 5:09:38 PM8/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Glad it's fixed.
I assume you have rubber hoses running up to the top of the tank rather than the plastic ones ?

Jim

Mick L

Aug 10, 2023, 7:33:15 AM8/10/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Well she broke down again today.

 New fuel pump hopefully fixes it as i had fitted a 80,000 pierberg unit from a pinto as a temp fix. Lines are all free so are not restricted so fingers crossed its the pump. I have not drove it but apparently it was hesitating under load and almost  acting like the brakes are applied so violent fuel starve i diagnose. Off to strip the old pump now, we shall see ifs its dead.

And the tank was dropped and cleaned out too. I did the feed line only, return and feed on the tank end and feed again front  end so new all the way.

Really hope its a old pump failure or something is a miss and shes not getting enough fuel to the carb when the demand is higher.

Mick

Mick L

Aug 10, 2023, 8:52:47 AM8/10/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like i need to cut a hole in her for the sender really so its not tank off to access it.

Mick L

Aug 10, 2023, 8:53:40 AM8/10/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The temp pump seems to be working fine and the line once again not clear... like i said its sender out time sadly.