2+2 headlight flaps

John Beckett

Feb 18, 2024, 4:58:40 PMFeb 18
to Quantum Owners Group
Hello,

I am currently wiring up the front end of my 2+2. I have non of the original wiring in the nose cone. The issue I have is getting the flaps to work does anyone have a wiring diagram for them.

From the other posts I see I need 2 1n4005 diodes and a relay to run the flap motor but how big does the relay need to be and where do the diodes fit in thr circuit.

Ideally i would like to use the side lights in the head light it's self as I don't have the original side / indicator unit that sat in the rectangle hole. Will it pass an mot using the side lights in there or do I need to try find a side / indicator unit to fit.

Cheers

John

John Woodward

Feb 19, 2024, 3:54:05 AMFeb 19
to Quantum Owners Group
The circuit for the flap relay is in the build manual. I recently completely rewired everything on the bonnet on my 2+2 project, all new wiring and connectors, the relay was attached to the headlight on the nearside and didn't operate until the dipped or main beam were used. The relay is now on the front subframe and is operated by either the main beam or the sidelights,
I'm afraid I don't know the answer regarding the legality of just having the sidelights behind the flaps.

list...@liberator-systems.co.uk

Feb 19, 2024, 7:21:44 AMFeb 19
to Quantum Owners Group
Attached wiring pic is from Saloon MK2 build manual - 2+2 should be same I think. My saloon has Fiesta Mk1 headlamp units which have separate built in side light bulbs. My wiring is such that turning on any light - side,dip,main/flash the lids open. If sidelights are behind lids then switching sides on obviously has to open lids ;-) to be legal. I think I used a 30A relay when I rewired my saloon. Make sure relay is positioned in a waterproof location. Also note there are 2 types of relay (A & B) and they have different pinouts. Mine was originally wired with type A but I changed all my relays to type B (more common) when I rewired car.

John

Quantum Headlamp Wiring.jpg