Rear brake hub

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Sep 28, 2023, 2:08:13 PM9/28/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I've just replaced the bearings in the rear nearside hub on an H4 (Fiesta Mk3) and found that the inner bearing housing has been worn so that I was able to turn the whole bearing insert by hand before pushing it out. The section where it is set is larger diameter than the rest of the tube through which the shell has to be pushed into place. The new bearing is better than the old, but there is still a problem.

I cannot find anywhere that supplies replacement Fiesta 3 hubs. There are items listed but these do not include the brake drums - mine are integrated.

Does anyone know where a suitable spare may be found, or what else can be done?

Thanks

Jim Hearne

Sep 28, 2023, 2:33:49 PM9/28/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I’m pretty sure all the rear drums on the Mk3 Fiesta had separate drums and hubs, none were combined like the Mk2 Fiesta, are you sure the drum wasn’t just stuck to the hub ?

Also, when you do the rear hub nut up (It’s really tight) then it will clamp all the inner bearings together between the nut, the bearing inners and the rear of the spindle, there is no way for the inners to spin on the spindle unless the hub nut was loose.
So, it doesn’t surprise me if you could remove the inner bearings by hand or if there was slight play.

Jim

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/e67704b8994498837afc90edb98a5ab8%40cityaudioservices.com.

Jim Hearne

Sep 28, 2023, 2:35:34 PM9/28/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The rear hub nut is done up to 184 to 214 lbf ft

Jim

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2023 7:08 PM
Subject: [Quantum Owners] Rear brake hub

Hi

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Sep 29, 2023, 2:46:10 AM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Hi

The wheel nuts go through the drum body and there are no other visible fixings. Outer drum and bearings are a solid unit which surprised me since any wear means the whole lot must be changed.

And yes, they are done up tight  ;-).

But it's just possible that at some point they were not tight enough and the inner bearing was able to rotate. What that means is that now, as the wheel spins the thrust on the bearing also rotates so it has a small (if finite) chance that the bearing can still move a bit. And of course it can be very slightly eccentric.

I can't see that it could be a Mk2 axle. The Mk3 bearing kits fit and the listings give different parts for Mk2 and Mk3.

I'd still like to replace it at some point - if possible. I assume this is another hen's teeth item.

Thanks

Jim Hearne

Sep 29, 2023, 3:58:39 AM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I checked on the Ford parts catalogue and on the Mk3 Fiesta there is no combined drum and hub shown, they are all separate.
But, on the Mk4/5 Fiesta and the KA there were some models with a combined drum and hub again.
These axles can be used on the Mk3 Fiesta as far as i know so that maybe where yours came from.
If you axle has a location for a ABS sensor then it’s a later than Mk3 axle as the Mk3 didn’t have ABS (only the funny mechanical system).

Jim

Darren Siepka

Sep 29, 2023, 5:22:34 AM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
These one piece drums are listed as MK3 and 4 also Ka and escort.
Used this supplier myself , the items supplied were good quality.

eBay Item number 275998647775

Darren

Darren Siepka

Sep 29, 2023, 5:24:56 AM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to double post but this didn't add.

That same supplier also has pairs of Bosch drums

Item number 235021777540

Darren

Jim Hearne

Sep 29, 2023, 5:53:32 AM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Well, look like i was wrong and Darren has solved the problem.

Sorry for giving out duff info,

Jim

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Sep 29, 2023, 2:05:01 PM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks - I will investigate.

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Sep 29, 2023, 2:33:44 PM9/29/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Hi again

I assume that despite the changes re the hub being an integrated or two part design, the bearings remained the same.  The ones I bought seem to be a perfect fit and they do also, according to the suppliers' listings, fit later Fiestas so I assume are correct. But I'm far from convinced they are lasting as long as they should. So could these be different? The kits are listed as FBK512, the listings do not give a Ford part number.

I've no ABS - its a basic cylinder and handbrake set up.. However there is a capped hole in the backing plate which seemed to serve no function. It's at the back of the backing plates on a line at about 45 degrees from horizontal. Maybe that is the ABS mounting point.

It occurs to me also that at some point I will have to change the main bushes as well as the pads and possibly hoses and cylinders. Will these be the same as the standard Mk3? Or should I be quoting a different vehicle?

Many thanks for the support. It is much appreciated.

Julian,

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Sep 30, 2023, 3:44:58 AM9/30/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Steve Kodź

Oct 3, 2023, 7:18:20 AM10/3/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Julian,

The capped hole, rectangular with rounded ends, I believe is an inspection hole, so you can check the brake shoe wear without taking the hubs apart.

Regards,
Steve

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Oct 3, 2023, 10:07:56 AM10/3/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Pete M

Oct 8, 2023, 10:28:24 AM10/8/23
to Quantum Owners Group
On Friday, 29 September 2023 at 19:33:44 UTC+1 Julian wrote:

Hi again

I assume that despite the changes re the hub being an integrated or two part design, the bearings remained the same.  The ones I bought seem to be a perfect fit and they do also, according to the suppliers' listings, fit later Fiestas so I assume are correct. But I'm far from convinced they are lasting as long as they should. So could these be different? The kits are listed as FBK512, the listings do not give a Ford part number.

I've no ABS - its a basic cylinder and handbrake set up..

Playing a bit of catchup here.  When I bought drums for my H4 the Fiesta drums that matched the 1.6Si donor were bigger than the standard mk3 drum.  The motor factor had them listed for Fiestas with ABS (despite not having ABS) and they came with hubs attached - sometimes it felt like the mk3.5 was an odd hybrid of the less common RS1800 and Fiesta mk4 parts

jul...@cityaudioservices.com

Oct 8, 2023, 11:27:03 AM10/8/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Thanks for catching up - all information is useful. Certainly this set up seems different! The donor was a Fiesta 1.6 Si so your observations make sense.

I think I have found a correct pair which list as Mk3 / Mk4 plus a variety of other small Fords. They look right and everything I have been able to get at and measure matches OK. I probably will not know now for sure until I strip the existing ones again. Hopefully that will be part of a rear end refurb - which will not be for a little while yet, I've got it back on the road and safe, but as ever lots more to do.

Regards