Wheel and Tyre fitment 15 " 7 wheels and 14s... and Hello :)

Mick L

Apr 20, 2023, 4:54:07 PM4/20/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
We have recently purchased a saloon and I planned to turn her around in a couple of weeks to use daily after been laid off.Myself and my partner have always wanted one. So hello everyone.

 It's turned into a whole lot of work I was not expecting sadly and I'm already a week in and the engines out tomorrow so not any closer to prepping for paint :(

Onwards and upwards :)

One of the simpler issues is the wheels. She is currently fitted with 14s 6 wide Et20. 185 60 front and 195 rear I believe.

They look lovely but do catch the rear arch around 4/5 and 7/8 o clock positions. My question is...Is this simply down the the rears been 195 or is it because the offset of these wheels is incorrect as they do come out the arch.

I have the opportunity to buy a set of wheels that are 15" 7 wide and et35 so ford offset I believe. Is there a universe where these wheels would fit without rubbing with 195 45 15s?

 If so I would sell ours and get them instead.

Thanks
Mick and Giuliana

susanandmartin

Apr 20, 2023, 5:21:18 PM4/20/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

I don’t know the answer to this (maybe I should as I have a saloon). Mine is running 185/55 x 14, I can’t recall the offset. On the Rear you need to be aware of how close the tyres are to the trailing arms, as well as inner arches. At the front the steering rack is either a standard or XR2. Some folk state (incorrectly) that the XR2 rack is a ‘quick’ rack ie higher ratio than standard, this is not the case as both racks have the same ratio! The confusion is that the XR2 rack is less turns lock to lock (numbers in Haynes manual?) , and is because the rack in the XR2 is restricted using plastic inserts. I have verified the same ratio with both racks ‘on the bench’. Long and short (no pun intended) of it is that if you have an XR2 rack there is less likelihood of the tyres rubbing bodywork when turned.

Martin Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/AM9P193MB08237332847B6C43646CC521E5639%40AM9P193MB0823.EURP193.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Darren Siepka

Apr 21, 2023, 2:52:28 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Depending on the make and design shape of the tyre you can sometimes get away with a 195/50 15 , but it is far better to use 195/45 15 ( I do on 2+2 and saloon).
The official recommendation from old quantum was to use 185/55 14 . They didn't recommend using 15s or bigger as they felt the ride quality was too poor .
I will be honest that the ride is much harsher on the 45 15s than on 55 14s ( I started out on 14s)

A bigger wheel will allow for larger disc fitment ( example ,I have 285 mm on the front , these only fit under 15s)

Darren

Mick L

Apr 21, 2023, 3:33:01 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
We do want a car that drives right not just looks right so it does sound like 14s may be what we have to stick with sadly then. The rides awful already but I'm guessing that's some cheap lowering springs as it has Monroe shocks.

With our current tyres been 60 profile and too wide on the rear Is there a chance it should be absolutely fine clearance wise if I put the right tyres on these 14?

They are lovely deep dish wheels so I would keep them in a heartbeat .

Thanks
Mick

Apr 21, 2023, 3:46:53 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Simple answer mick is yes stick with the 185x55 HR 14 for now all round.

Darren Siepka

Apr 21, 2023, 4:11:51 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The offset is a bit low ,iirc et20 was used on rwd fords(Capri etc) , but as long as you check for rubbing lock to lock then you should be fine. The reduction in profile to 55 does make a dramatic difference over the 60profile.
Regards ride, you mention lowering springs , if these are xr2 fiesta ones then yes the ride will be shocking as they are far too hard.
Quantum used to sell custom made springs correctly rated to give the correct height while maintaining a decent ride quality.

Darren

Andy Heaton

Apr 21, 2023, 4:13:35 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Just another note they used to fit Monroe sensatrac front and  rear shocks.........at the moment very limited as to replacements available.

Paul S Quantum

Apr 21, 2023, 4:29:27 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

We did lots of testing with wheel sizes when we had a 2+2.

It originally came with the factory recommended 14 inch wheels with the factory recommended sizes, it was the factory demo/brochure car so was still fitted with the wheels from the brochure photos.

We tried wheel sizes from 13 to 16 inch.

For comfort 13 inch were by far the best for comfort but the wheels looked too small and the handling was the worst of all tested.

The stock size it came with was 14 inch, it was fitted with the ford lattice xr3i cabro style wheels. They looked ok and it drove better than with the 13’s.

For us for road use 15’s fitted with 195 45 15 tyres is the best compromise of looks, easy to get tyres and good road manners.

When we tried 16’s they were very very harsh and on a track superb but for road use a step too far.

When I bought my saloon it was fitted with 15 wheels, ford style again which I didn’t like as too modern, so bought a new set of wheels for it.

The wheels bought were 15 inch using the same logic that applied to the 2+2. Fitted with 195 45 15 there has never been any tyre rubbing even with 4 people and the dogs in the car.

In my experience the brand of tyre can effect the way the 2+2/saloon drives almost as much as wheel size.

When I bought my saloon it had 15s with 195b 45 unbranded tyres and the ride was quite harsh yet when fitted with the new wheels which are the same size apart from 2mm less offset fitted with toyo tyres and the ride is much better.

I am the historian for the QOC & If you don’t mind would you mind forwarding the registration and chassis number of your saloon to  quantumh...@gmail.com as I have recently updated the quantum owners club register for the model and would like to check to see if we have your car on the register list.

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Mick L

Mick L

Apr 21, 2023, 6:20:31 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
ThankYou for I formation. So based on your testing would 15" 7 wide 35 offset fit ok?

I will forward our u formation over once I'm clean as I'm removing the engine as we speak.

Thanks Mick

Apr 21, 2023, 7:50:33 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I would say 6 1/2 are the max to go to. 6 would be better.

Bob

Sent from my Galaxy

Paul S Quantum

Apr 21, 2023, 9:10:18 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

We never went as wide as 7. The ones we used were 6.5 or 6 wide.

Current ones on mine are 6 with a offset of 36

Best width wheels for 195 tyres are in the 6 to 6.5 range to keep the sidewalls at the best angles.

When buying the new wheels for the saloon I was tempted for going bigger just for the looks but arch gap and tyre profile then start to look a little silly.

If your car has been fitted with lowering uprated springs best bet is to get some standard xr2/normal fiesta front springs and if you can find some a set of standard 1100 fiesta rear springs.

Of all the rear springs we tried the 1100 rear springs were the sweet spot for the last quantum.

On the xr2 originally the front spring rating was not that much higher than a standard fiesta but the rear xr2 springs were a lot higher rating. Not that many xr2 or quantums will have the originally fitted springs now anyway.

Sent from Mail for Windows

ThankYou for I formation. So based on your testing would 15" 7 wide 35 offset fit ok?

I will forward our u formation over once I'm clean as I'm removing the engine as we speak.

Thanks Mick

PAUL SLATER

Apr 21, 2023, 9:10:35 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Remember by the way that the wheel width I am quoting is not the width of the wheel physically but the width between the two points the tyre beads sit against.

If a wheel is being measured rim to rim they will be a margin wider than the stamped size of the back of the rim.

Sent from Mail for Windows

ThankYou for I formation. So based on your testing would 15" 7 wide 35 offset fit ok?

I will forward our u formation over once I'm clean as I'm removing the engine as we speak.

Thanks Mick

Mick L

Apr 21, 2023, 6:40:17 PM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
That's a good point and one i was already pondering. Are custom quantum springs still available?

Probably need to be a little lower than standard I suspect to have it low enough with 14s.

Sent: 21 April 2023 08:11

Andy Heaton

Apr 22, 2023, 3:02:30 PM4/22/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I am on the case with Quantum springs. Be patient I am close to getting these reproduced.

listsub3

May 1, 2023, 8:36:54 AM5/1/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Just been catching up on your various posts ...

Welcome to Quantum saloon ownership - sounds like you are "saving" another saloon so great as they are getting quite rare now!

Re wheels & tyres:
I found clearance is more a problem on rear than front. I think Ford rolled the rear arches on XR2 shell to try and stop rub.
The rear suspension setup really determines what you can use without body mods especially if you are lowering.
My rear suspension is modded (lower,stiffer,all adjustable) and with 15*6 wheels ET34 and 195/45 tyres it is tight. (An adjustable panhard rod is really essential to get axle centralised).

Other than looks I doubt there is any advantage going bigger on wheels/tyres even for track.
But at the end of the day the choice of wheels, tyres and suspension is down to personal taste and what you use the car for.

John