Engine removal on saloon with Cvh

Mick L

Apr 20, 2023, 5:15:17 PM4/20/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hello again everyone.

I got the saloon out on the road for the first time today since it broke down on purchase with a horrendous fuel leak.

Aswell as driving poorly and feeling vague (whole suspension to overhaul on the front I suspect  and a horrid exhaust to subframe rattle from old engine mounts maybe on rear ?)

It seems she has a  oil leak too. The engine is a 1600 Cvh bored out to 1818 apparently. Leaking from the box end and dripping quite badly so it's engine out im told as easiest route to do it.

Any tips of pointers beyond the little bit of advice I've had off Andy already ?

2 front bolts.
2 rear bolts through floor inside cabin .
I bolt through o/s wheel arch and top bolt on Engine support.......
Plus remove all other items and then drop engine and gearbox out in one from underneath.....

I just want her sorted now as I've got this week coming to be finished in my friends unit and that's a painted car too eeeek

Thanks
Mick

susanandmartin

Apr 20, 2023, 6:26:18 PM4/20/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to the World of Quantum…..

Whilst you’re doing the job (apologies if you already know) it’s worth replacing all the fuel hoses with ethanol proof hose – I’d recommend (having searched a lot) that Car builder Solutions is the preferred supplier.

8mm and 6mm I/D are probably the sizes needed (mine are).

Martin Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/AM9P193MB08232D54AD01E9A4F1677FAEE5639%40AM9P193MB0823.EURP193.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Andy Heaton

Apr 21, 2023, 3:14:35 AM4/21/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Tyre pressures Mick
26psi front and 23psi rear was often found to be a good set up.
I run on my Diesel 32 psi front 26psi rear which work well for me.
Tyres will have dramatic effect on the handling, how old are they?
Just removed a set off the green saloon we are in the middle of major restoration 1985 vintage to 1987 vintage!! Recommend to change tyres that are 5 years of age or older.
I have shod them with 185x55 Hr14 (which don't foul the bodywork or trailing arms).
I have additional rack limiters too with Continental A rated wet and B rated for fuel.
Good luck with the resto of your Q.
Andy

Mick L

Apr 22, 2023, 1:32:25 PM4/22/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
It's out Thanks for all the help so far

May 1, 2023, 8:37:06 AM5/1/23
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mick

Re: Oil Leak - I had a leak which initially I thought was coming from rear seal area. I dried off the sump and chalked round it to find the path of leak. Surprisingly there was a small crack half way up rear of sump bowl. I thought sump must have took hit on speed bump or similar but later inspection found the indent marks of a trolley jack saddle in the sump pan so my guess is that is how it was cracked.

Re: Fuel Leak - The rubber hoses at rear connecting steel lines to the OEM plastic pipes from tank were shot on mine. The 8mm steel feed line also corroded very badly - the 6mm return line far less despite being on same  path run - different grade steels I suppose. I ended up replacing my complete fuel system using stainless braided PTFE hose and AN fittings. If you are replacing any rubber fuel hose I would only use R9 spec hose - it's quite expensive but IMO small price to pay for safety/longevity etc. A warning note - only buy R9 hose from a reputable motorsport supplier - all the hose advertised as R9 spec on well known online market places is fake and will quickly fail potentially gumming up your fuel system.

Fuel supply - worth checking the inside of fuel tank - especially if it is old. Boroscope or if there is an access hole in floor under rear seat you can remove sender unit. On the end of fuel pick up pipe there is (or was originally) a small plastic filter. If this gets clogged or partially clogged fuel pump gets starved. The filters are hard to come by now but sometimes appear for sale as NOS. You can dispense with it anyway provided you fit a decent filter before carb. Some of the Weber carbs do have an internal inlet filter but it is very coarse and I would not rely on that. Any foreign matter from fuel tank or dissolving rubber hose will affect correct running if it gets in carb.

John