Advise or help please

Gordon Harker

Mar 4, 2021, 3:19:24 AM3/4/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Strong little cars those 2+2's and did not intend to find out until under hard braking on a dry road the back over took the front.  Ended up visiting a ditch and hedge.  Still restored my faith in people, they stopped and towed me out, drove home.

On assessment, one bent tie rod, and lot broken glass and some excess hawthorne hedge.

So, does any one know what the glass is please?  Specifically

Rear heated glass on the later hard top, bonded I believe.
Front quarter light n/s
Assume windscreen and passenger window are standard MK2 bits (believe based on 83 ish car)

the windscreen did intially survive, but the hedge got in on the way our, guess it was being vindictive.

Other things are the fibre glass top (hockey stick) on top of quarter light is broken and front corner to hard top and not sitting flush at moment.  Hard top should fibre glass ok and hockey stick may unless anyone has one lying around.

Passenger door jammed shut but got even gaps all round, so will look at on a dry weeked.

Thanks

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 4:40:13 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Oh dear,
Sorry to hear about your incident, at least nobody was hurt.

You might want to check the rear brake setup if it’s spun like that, it may be overbraked on the rear, does it have rear disks ?

I am trying to find my list of where the glass comes from.
Windscreen is certainly standard Mk1 or Mk2  Fiesta  (either will fit with the matching rubber)
I think, and i might be wrong until i find my list, the quarterlights were Passat and the door glass is Astra (not donor)
I know the early hard top glass is Mk4 Escort but i think the later hard top (yes is was bonded in) was Golf

There is a steel tube that runs up the windscreen pillars , hopefully that hasn’t bent.

You should be able to get a new hockey stick from Quantum

I will keep looking for my non donor car parts list, unless anybody else can find a copy, used to be on the old smartgroups site before we moved to Google.

Jim

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/829a9db6-b047-46cd-b0b7-64d81d70a37bn%40googlegroups.com.

kynastonp .

Mar 4, 2021, 4:57:30 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Main door glass on 2+2 was fiesta MK1 or 2 , saloon used astra glass for front door.

Mar 4, 2021, 4:59:01 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
2+2 Quarterlight glass

> Desc..... Passat FDVL 81/88
> HT Number..0730L GN5HFV
> Sup. Part..321 845 251G
> Bin No......M1023

The Mk2 saloon door door glass is MkII Astra 3 door 1984-1991, not the 2+2, as Paul says, that was Mk2 Fiesta

Jim

Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 11:20 PM
Subject: [Quantum Owners] Advise or help please

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 5:28:56 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Here are the two QTR glass codes

Also don't forget you can get new HEATED front windscreens .

As Jim says the newer smooth hardtop uses a golf bonded glass from MK4 iirc

Darren

IMG_20210304_102529.jpg

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 5:35:31 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
This from proboard forum

Says the bonded rear glass was mk3 hatchback.
Screenshot_20210304-103249.png

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 5:47:26 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I knew some Mk2 Fiesta heated screens had been made but i didn’t know they were available from stock, thanks.

Jim

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 5:49:17 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a copy of the list i was looking for, do you have a link and i’ll save it again.
I can confirm the 2+2 Mk1 hardtop did use a screen from a Mk4 Escort Cabro as i actually removed one from an Escort top and fitted in into my 2+2 hard top.

Jim

Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2021 10:35 AM

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 5:59:16 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 6:02:48 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Here are images MK3 and MK4 golf glass to help identifying.
Screenshot_20210304-110111.png
Screenshot_20210304-110056.png

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 6:32:52 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I’m still not convinced that it was a hatchback screen for the Mk2 Hardtop, i’m sure it would be far too big.

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 6:34:34 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Oh, i suppose, maybe.

Jim
quantum-2-kit-car-hard-top-fiesta-xr2_360_893d5ac7d7729be899c708c333651bbb.jpg

susanandmartin

Mar 4, 2021, 6:59:44 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

I wonder if glass suppliers have catalogues with dimensions shown? It would be very helpful for us kit builders to be able to find such detail. I’ve looked at great length on the ‘net but found to such info

Martin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 7:16:16 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I would think it’s not a very common requirement, as a long as a screen fits Car X Model Y nobody is really interested in it’s actual sizes.
Except kit builders of course.

Jim

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 7:23:49 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
This a piccy of a golf  MK3/4 convertible glass

Screenshot_20210304-122232.png

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 7:27:39 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Looking at your the image of the hardtop and compared to the photos it does look to be a MK3 hatch glass.

Soooooo much more vision area compared to the earlier one.

Darren

Jim Hearne

Mar 4, 2021, 7:31:26 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, i agree, it does look a lot more like the Hatchback glass than the Cabrio glass.
I only ever had a Mk1 hardtop which i only used for a few weeks and then sold !

Darren Siepka

Mar 4, 2021, 7:31:43 AM3/4/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I recently took a template off a BMW mini with a view to updating my hardtop, fits quite well.
I have been investigating creating a t top with rear wiper for more all year round use.

Darren

Gordon Harker

Mar 5, 2021, 3:53:21 AM3/5/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Thanks one and all, most informative.
So
M1 or 2 front screen and window glass
1/4 light is passat
Rear screen Mk 3 golf from photo's and hard top picture. My hard top has the grooves in it and bigger rear screen.  Happen to have one of each intact in hard tops on the other cars hiding down the side of the house, so have a comparison of the two and it is a much bigger screen in the damaged one.

Mini bit was interesting, worth looking at as may be easier to find going forward?

susanandmartin

Mar 5, 2021, 4:42:18 AM3/5/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Something I just thought……… Some glass is clear, some has a slight green tint (white paper can reveal it – not always easy to see!.

Martin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

John Woodward

Mar 5, 2021, 6:33:13 AM3/5/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Many years ago, a local owner had the rear glass shatter in his Mk2 (smooth) Hardtop, I advised him the one that was listed on Smart group, but that didn't fit. eventually he found the Mk3 Golf fitted.

list...@liberator-systems.co.uk

Mar 5, 2021, 11:12:52 AM3/5/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Scary moment I bet! If car swapped ends under hard braking then sounds like brake bias is wrong - rears should never lock before fronts. Are you are using standard Fiesta MK2 axle & drums? - if so check bias (G) valve and its mounting angle. Also worth checking rear wheel cylinder size - smaller ones maybe worth trying. Fiiting an adjustable bias valve is another option but this requires some re-plumbing of brake system.