set Qualimap RAM memory usage size once instead of every-time at launch

xiaol...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2021, 10:55:47 AM11/1/21
to QualiMap
Dear Qualimap users,

Is there a way to set Qualimap RAM memory usage size once instead of every time at lanching Qualimap? I have 64 GB of memory installed but Qualimap still fails at RNA-Seq QC with the error of "running out of memory".  I have to launch from the command line (I used to just double click the "Qualimap" icon to launch it) with "./qualimap --java-mem-size=10000M", and then it runs ok. Is there a way to set 10000M as the default RAM usage size for Qualimap so that I do not have to do this every time at launching?

Thanks,

Xiao

Konstantin Okonechnikov

Nov 2, 2021, 8:14:55 AM11/2/21
to qual...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiao,

the default limit for RAM could be easily assigned by several ways.

First it could be manually edited in the command qualimap (https://bitbucket.org/kokonech/qualimap/src/master/cli/qualimap), the variable to edit is in line 7  :
JAVA_MEM_DEFAULT_SIZE="1200M"
simply change it to the desired 10000M or 10G.

Second, you could assign a variable JAVA_OPTS in the system, and then it would be used by default. Here's example overview:

Best regards,
  Konstantin

Xiao Lei

Nov 2, 2021, 8:54:39 AM11/2/21
to qual...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Konstantin,

Thank you very much for your help. I followed your instruction the line 7 in Qualimap script and it worked.

Best,

Xiao