Help_input data

Divya Thakur

Feb 3, 2021, 6:48:29 AM2/3/21
to QUAL2K-user
Hi,
I am new to the QUAL2K software. I have the water quality data and flow data of river as monthly average values while in the provided master sheet (demo file) it is on hourly basis. Also, I am not getting which data/sheets I should fill to run the model. Please help.

Shubhojit Dey

Feb 3, 2021, 1:19:00 PM2/3/21
to QUAL2K-user
hi,
i am also new to this and this would be useful for my thesis work. could you please tell me from where did you get the input data required? did you conduct field experiments or contacted government agencies?

Dr. Kyle Flynn

Feb 3, 2021, 5:19:24 PM2/3/21
to QUAL2K-user
Most often an independent data collection campaign is made to support model development. This typically includes the collection of samples and use/deployment of continuously recording datasondes. In other cases, existing/available data is used, but this most often results in a number of data gaps and uncertainty about results.

One example of a widely used database in the U.S. to assess available input data is the Water Quality Portal (see link Water Quality Data Home).

Best,

Kyle

Adam Rus Nugroho

Feb 3, 2021, 10:54:36 PM2/3/21
to QUAL2K-user
Hi, Divya Thakur.
If you do not have an hourly dataset, then just fill the average data in the left-most column (12:00 AM).
For running the QUAL2K and create a model, you just need to input the river water quality data in the "Headwater" worksheet, which appoints the beginning of the river segment. Other water quality data to build a model should be in "Point Source" and "Diffuse Source", which are the water quality of the inflow to the river segment you are studying.

The WQ Data worksheet and other yellow worksheets are used for calibrating the model, not for creating a model.
If you fill in the WQ data worksheet, the black square dot will appear in the model (graph). The dots show the observational data which the model should follow in order to be properly calibrated. To adjust the model for following the dots, you should make some (usually a lot) of trial-and-error in changing the model coefficients.

Shubhojit Dey

Feb 3, 2021, 11:18:12 PM2/3/21
to QUAL2K-user
hi adam,
your answer cleared a lot of things. but i would like to know in which worksheet(s) do we have to do the trial and error for changing model coefficients?