Today I went to Meeting

Rosalind Mitchell

Nov 18, 2012, 12:10:33 PM11/18/12
to Quaker-B
I walked there. I walked back again.

A few minutes after leaving home I saw the sun rise over the Forest of
Bowland – appropriately enough, throwing Pendle Hill into sharp
silhouette on the far eastern horizon. It was nearly dark when I got
home again.

I allowed three hours for the 14km outward trip, but I made an unwitting
wrong turn which left me five minutes late at Meeting for Worship, but I
crept in anyway.

With the exception of an hour and a half of Meeting for Worship plus
notices plus tea, biscuits and chat, and half an hour in the Stagger Inn
at Stainton on the way home, I was on my feet the whole time. My feet
hurt.

I wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but if I was going to do it today
was as fine a day to do it as I could have wished for. It was much
chillier coming home though. Low Furness is an elevated and exposed
plateau surrounded on three sides by tidal waters.

That's all.

Rosie

--
Currently reading: The End of the Party by Andrew Rawnsley

simon gray

Nov 18, 2012, 12:12:58 PM11/18/12
to quaker-b
On 18 November 2012 17:10, Rosalind Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

I allowed three hours for the 14km outward trip, but I made an unwitting
wrong turn which left me five minutes late at Meeting for Worship, but I
crept in anyway.

i'd say being able to predict a 14km / 3 hour country walk with only a five minute margin for error is impressive enough by anybody's standards!

--
www.star-one.org.uk ~ www.winterval.org.uk ~ www.birmingham-alive.com

Wim Nusselder

Nov 18, 2012, 6:07:59 PM11/18/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com

Dear Rosie,

I sometimes go by train to Amsterdam Meeting if the trains don’t ride, which takes me between 1 and 1,5 hours twice, depending on the wind.

I’m feeling quite proud of that already, but this is quite a bit more impressive.

How did Friends there respond?

And how was Meeting?

With f&Friendly greetings,

Wim

Wim Nusselder

Nov 19, 2012, 2:25:15 AM11/19/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com

I meant that I go by bike if the trains don’t ride, of course.

Alec

Nov 19, 2012, 7:43:21 AM11/19/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com, rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk
Funnily, about the same distance as I'd have to walk to my nearest Meeting.

I spent yesterday again in silent worship at the Piskie Church.  I've mentioned a Greek Orthodox student who also attends services out of familiarity.  This was the first time he had seen me there, which was fortunate as this was his last time before relocating to Aberdeen.

There also was a familiar face whom I had surmised as having some sort of transgender issues, and he finds acceptance there.  He's a budding organist, and was playing for the Fisherman's Mission before being 'found out' and ejected.

~alec