Storm Sandy

Alec

Oct 30, 2012, 9:40:32 AM10/30/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com
In a strange and a sad coincidence, Claudene Christian - who, on her Facebook profile, says she's described from Fletcher Christian - has died when a replica of the HMS Bounty sank during Storm Sandy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20132623

https://www.facebook.com/claudene.christian

I hope all list members on the eastern seaboard are safe.

~alec

Chris Roberts, Newton Meeting, Camden NJ USA

Oct 30, 2012, 5:47:25 PM10/30/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com
We're fine thanks Alec - no damage despite some Halloween type bumps on the roof last night.

The nuclear power station at Oyster Creek, about 40 miles north of Atlantic City, uses a boiling water reactor just like Fakushima Daiichi.  Of course a slow moving hurricane differs from a tsunami and offers more time for an orderly shut-down but I still think we dodged a metaphorical bullet - more at http://rt.com/usa/news/sandy-nuclear-power-plant-500/.  Now, if only we could stop them trying to extend the plant lives despite reports of hydrogen embrittlement in the reactor vessels - but what do I know!

Thank you for your concern.  Chris
PS: My best to Arthur's mother.  NYC really did take a hit.

Alec

Oct 31, 2012, 7:46:50 AM10/31/12
to quak...@googlegroups.com
What was astounding about Fukushima Daichi was that it survived an earthquake thousands of times stronger than it was designed to withstand.  It was the tsunami which knocked out the reactors.

And relieved that all are alright, and holding Arthur's mother in the light.

I recently started volunteering on a local forestry trust, currently involving felling spruces in a clearing ready for wild flowers next year.  The damage from last November's weather bomb only just has bene cleared up, and uprooted trees remain offpath.  Not just snapped, but entire root systems ripped out of the ground.

The noise at the time must have been tremendous.

For British list-members, see the sort of thing we're getting up to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng5lr

~alec