Does God have a nature?

Gregory

Dec 29, 2017, 1:51:17 PM12/29/17
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum

Nature is the intrinsic principle of motion in a thing. God is pure act. Motion is the actualization of a potency. Therefore God does not have a nature.

I know the Church has declared that God has a nature. What is wrong with my reasoning?

Gere Mia

Feb 5, 2018, 12:31:03 PM2/5/18
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
The word "nature" literally refers to things that can be born (change from non-existence to existence). When referred to God, "nature" is synonymous with "essence". See how St. Thomas uses the terms in, e.g., Summa I q. 3 a. 3 c.