New Blog for Ancient and Thomistic Philosophy

Jonathan Culbreath

Aug 9, 2017, 1:44:57 PM8/9/17
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
I have begun a new blog, where I will be recording much of my person progress in learning and research. This blog marks a transition in my life from being a student to being a scholar - from college to graduate school - as I make the move from California to Belgium to begin studies for a Master's Degree at the Catholic University of Leuven. My major will specify in ancient, medieval, and renaissance philosophy, and my primary interests are in Plato, Aristotle, the Neoplatonic and other late antique traditions, and St. Thomas Aquinas - specifically, St. Thomas' own inheritance from these earlier traditions. One interest, that may become a research project at the university, is the harmony of Plato and Aristotle, and the influence of both on St. Thomas, especially in his metaphysics. The blog thus far has explored small aspects of that issue.

I am a big believer in discussion and Socratic dialogue, so commentary and criticism are very welcome at the blog, so long as it remains charitable and relevant.

Jonathan Culbreath

--

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."  - St. Thomas Aquinas

"Among all human pursuits, the pursuit of wisdom is more perfect, more noble, more useful, and more full of joy." ~ St. Thomas Aquinas

LJ P

Nov 28, 2017, 4:48:49 PM11/28/17
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com

If you intend to explore the possible Platonic influence on the philosophy of St. Thomas, especially on his metaphysics, I think it  absolutely necessary to get familiar with Fr. L.-B. Geiger's Platonic interpretation of Thomism in his La Participation dans la philosophie de S. Thomas d'Aquin (I have the 2nd edition from 1953) and with Fr. Cornelio Fabro's works, especially his La nozione metafisica di partecipazione secondo S. Tommaso d'Aquino (his doctoral dissertation from 1939) and Participation et causalité selon S. Thomas d'Aquin (1961).

In Christo Rege,

Luke Paczuski