Quad stick Bluetooth? Oculus quest?

Tremulous Tetra

Mar 21, 2020, 5:33:13 PM3/21/20
to QuadStick
Hi I am a 59-year-old quadriplegic after car crash in 1984. Just purchased an oculus quest. I can move my arms, but my fingers are paralysed. Is there anyway I could control the various triggers using the quad stick?

Never really bothered with gaming for about 30 years. I've only so far been able to do the setup, with help, but seeing my hands look normal was quite mind blowing, made me feel like I had got something back. I would really like to dive into this experience, feel it would enhance my life a lot.

The oculus quest runs straight from the headset, so I don't think you would be able to plug the quad stick straight into the side of it. You are able to connect 1 of the PlayStation controllers (I think it was S, if that means anything to anybody.)

I noticed 1 of the platforms you cater for is steam. And this guy
tells you "How-to stream Steam VR Oculus Quest (stream Vive AND Rift games to Oculus Quest)".

Anyway, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about here LOL. So I just needed some advice as to whether I barking up the right tree in looking to couple oculus quest + steam platform + quad stick, so I would be able to fully enjoy this virtual reality experience, which so far is absolutely stunning, beautiful, exhilarating.

If we can crack this I feel there may be some therapeutic benefits too!

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra.

Tremulous Tetra

Mar 22, 2020, 11:40:24 AM3/22/20
to QuadStick

Fred Davison

Mar 22, 2020, 3:27:35 PM3/22/20
to Tremulous Tetra, QuadStick
I think the biggest problem with using the quadstick with a VR helmet is physical:  How do you move your head around while keeping your mouth on the mouthpiece?   You won't be able to see any of the lights on the Quadstick to know what mode you are in, if the game requires multiple modes.    Many quadstick users cannot move their head to look around with a VR helmet, so their point of view will need to be controlled by the quadstick.  This can quickly lead to motion sickness.

Perhaps the quadstick could be mounted to the headset somehow.  A short magic arm with some adaptive fittings might work for that, but you would need to find a way to attach it firmly to the headset.

After solving the physical mounting issues, then getting the quadstick data into a form that mimics the unique and non-standard controllers often used by these systems, and can be transmitted to the VR system is another difficult problem to solve.  A device like the Titan Two might be helpful.

I tried the PS4 VR helmet, which can be controlled with a regular PS4 controller, and kept my head still while using the Right Analog stick to look around and only lasted about 10 minutes before motion sickness made me stop.