A couple problems with my Quadstick

Blake Warren

Aug 17, 2019, 10:51:15 PM8/17/19
to QuadStick

Hello there, I got my Quadstick about 20 days ago and I encountered a couple of problems. It was working just fine at first, but after spending about a week and a half setting up the Quadstick and Configuration file spreadsheets how I wanted them, and then testing it all out, I began to notice a problem. I began noticing that when I would change an output or input in a configuration file and then download it to the Quadstick, and then try to play a game, it wouldn’t save the new controls that I set up. (The default configuration file was the only one that would save changes for me).

I am thinking that I either selected a different file with the side tube or I swapped the inputs with the side tube, without realizing what I did at the time. Is there any way that I can fix this problem and then make it so I won’t repeat the same mistake again?

By the way I was using the Quadstick with a CronusMax on a PS4. I was also trying to figure out how to use a mouse along with the Quadstick, which I did figure out how to do that by reading an earlier post.

Now, the other problem (which is the main problem) that I encountered just today is where the QMP is not showing that the Quadstick is plugged into my PC, and it is plugged in. I am using a USB splitter, which I don’t think that would be the problem. There is a green LED glowing, out of the 4 green LED’s the very top one is glowing, I don’t know what that means though. This happened right after I changed a configuration file from swbfpc.csv to default.csv (I made a copy of the file before I made any changes). I don’t know how to fix this issue either.

Any help will be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Steven F

Aug 18, 2019, 12:23:19 PM8/18/19
to QuadStick
Post a link to your spreadsheet so it can be troubleshooted...

Fred Davison

Aug 18, 2019, 1:54:33 PM8/18/19
to Blake Warren, QuadStick
The default configuration file was the only one that would save changes for me. is a clue that you are not actually loading the configuration file you intend to.

The default.csv and prefs.csv (where preference settings are stored) will auto-reload when they change.  The others will have to be manually (re)selected using the side tube for any changes to take effect.   It is common for new users to confuse using the side tube for selecting modes within a configuration vs selecting an entirely different configuration file with its own set of modes.    It takes a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG hard sip to start the file selection process.  Short sip/puffs on the side tube are typically mapped to changing modes, though that can completely changed within the configuration file.   There have been more than one new users who did not sip long enough to start the file selector.

Another common reason for not running the configuration you expect is not knowing the file number and led pattern for the desired configuration file.  In the QMP, the "Print file list" will list the configurations and show you the led pattern for each number.

the QMP is not showing that the Quadstick is plugged into my PC

Changing the default.csv file is dangerous.  If you change the USB emulation protocol, you could lose access to the flash drive, preventing you from making any further changes to the quadstick.   If there is a configuration file that has flash access, USB emulation modes 0,2 or 4, you can select that file and then make changes to the contents of the flash.

If there is no configuration file with flash access, then it will be necessary to force erase the flash so the quadstick will revert to a simple backup configuration, similar to the Default Configuration.     To force erase the flash, hold the lip button ALLLLL the way in while sipping strongly on the center hole tube, while powering up the quadstick.  Hold that until is reboots (usually four or five seconds).   At that point the flash will be completely blank.

Attached is a zip file that contains a set of configuration files for new FPS quadsticks that are going to be used with a PS4 and an UltraStik.  That is the same configuration that would work for using a mouse as an external pointer with the QMP.

There are lots of different ways that people use the quadstick.  The permutations must run into the thousands.  When requesting help, it helps us to have some context about what equipment you have and what you are trying to accomplish.   There is a checklist of useful info that is listed in this post:  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/quadstick/cihq2_Rxdl4/kJdNwqydBAAJ

FPS PS4 Ultrastik.zip

Ikonosaurus Rex

Aug 18, 2019, 7:21:15 PM8/18/19
to QuadStick
I know this isn't really on topic but  Fred have you thought about adding a button somewhere on the quadstick that can be pressed  by an aide to force reset along with the way that already exist so that it is easier  to force reset if needed?

Fred Davison

Aug 18, 2019, 8:24:57 PM8/18/19
to Ikonosaurus Rex, QuadStick
We could have it skip all the configuration files if the Lip button was pushed in during startup.   That would allow a way to change the configuration without erasing it.

That would make it easy to have it start up in a game controller specific USB mode that didn't have a flash drive interface, like Nintendo Switch, but when you wanted to make changes, holding the lip button down when plugging it into a PC would enable flash drive access.

Most original models have a switch in the base of the joystick that can erase the flash if pushed in just after power is applied and held until all 5 leds stop their initial flashing.

If you have a serial port set up for voice commands, you can format a drive by typing the command "!format<cr>" in the Voice commands tab.  Of course you will instantly lose contact if using bluetooth because it will reboot with the bluetooth turned off.

Blake Warren

Aug 19, 2019, 9:02:30 PM8/19/19
to QuadStick
Thank you for all the info, Fred! I have the FPS model Quadstick and I was trying to force erase the flash, but it's too hard for me to sip for that long so I had my Dad try it, but It wasn't working. When the Quadstick gets power the usual red/pink lights flicker and then the blue lights flash from right to left and go off, then a couple of seconds later 2 red lights come on along with the green light I mentioned in my initial post, then the 2 red lights go off. The green light stays on and the red light on the far left comes on. I hope those details help!

How do we know when to stop sipping and holding the lip button? Does the lip button have to be literally as far back as possible? And, how are the lights on the Quadstick supposed to behave when the flash has been force erased? Are there any other tips or advice that you can give?

Thank you!

Fred Davison

Aug 20, 2019, 12:03:58 AM8/20/19
to Blake Warren, QuadStick
The combination of the lip button all the way in and the center sip needs to be done prior to the right-to-left Blue led pattern, then held for several seconds, until it reboots.  Probably five or six seconds.

If after the last blue led, the two red leds come on, either the lip wasn't in far enough, or the sip wasn't hard enough and you'll need to try again.

Did you try selecting different configuration files until the flash drive showed up?  Normally there is at least one configuration file that will allow flash access unless you have deleted some of the original files.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quadstick/fcdcaa21-8e7d-45e5-bcb8-710b66261366%40googlegroups.com.

Blake Warren

Aug 27, 2019, 8:51:11 PM8/27/19
to QuadStick
Last week I was successfully able to force erase the flash and I got the Quadstick working, and I was able to play Destiny 2 with it.

Thank you for the help!