Can't get Brook Super Converter for Nintendo Switch to recognize Quadstick

Cody Fuller

Oct 29, 2017, 1:53:28 PM10/29/17
to QuadStick
I can't get Brook Super Converter PS3/PS4 for Nintendo Switch to recognize my Quadstick. I've tried Quadstick straight into the Super Converter with and without PS3 emulation profile and I tried using the Cronusmax with the Super Converter as both PS3 and also as a PS3 to PS4 mode like you would on the PS4.and it didn't work. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something? Thanks!

Fred Davison

Oct 29, 2017, 2:23:33 PM10/29/17
to Cody Fuller, QuadStick
Have you updated the converter firmware?  http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/66392028/

What is the date code on the back of your converter?  Unless it was made in the last month or so, it will need an update.

You should be able to connect the quadstick in the normal default USB mode (0) directly to the super converter.

Cody Fuller

Oct 29, 2017, 3:35:46 PM10/29/17
to QuadStick
It's a month old but I just now tried updating the Super Converter and the LED on the Super Converter won't light up now and still won't recognize the Quadstick so I think the problem has been a defective Super Converter all along. Thanks for your help, though.

-Cody

Fred Davison

Oct 29, 2017, 3:50:08 PM10/29/17
to Cody Fuller, QuadStick
Let me know how it works out.  There is a lot of interest in being able to use the quadstick with the Switch

johnqua...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2017, 6:44:26 AM10/30/17
to QuadStick
I have the same problem. I tried to update the Super Converter, but my pc does not recognize it ...

Jonathan Polmans

Fred Davison

Oct 30, 2017, 10:10:06 AM10/30/17
to Jonathan Polmans, QuadStick
Yesterday I ordered a Switch with a Brook Super Converter and another type of converter and I'm going to test them out.

It will probably be next week before the Switch gets here.

Getting the Super Converters into the firmware update mode can be difficult.  I made a configuration file for the Quadstick to make it easier

Cody Fuller

Oct 30, 2017, 12:30:37 PM10/30/17
to QuadStick
I will. I have a new one coming today so I'll be able to confirm if it was just defective or not.

chadh12345

Oct 30, 2017, 5:00:36 PM10/30/17
to QuadStick
I had the same problem but someone at Brook, helped me...You have to use Wii U Standard Edition firmware, after this it works perfect!  Plug and play!  Here is the right firmware: PS3/PS4 to Wii U Standard Edition

This should solve all problems!  Please let me know!

chadh12345

Oct 30, 2017, 5:04:22 PM10/30/17
to QuadStick
By the way, I just got done playing "Super Mario Odyssey" for the 1st time.  Lots of fun!
Message has been deleted

Richard Kramer

Nov 1, 2017, 4:50:14 AM11/1/17
to QuadStick
Chad

Were you just using the quadstick on its own to play Super Mario Odyssey?

If yes were there any difficulties? I love the Nintendo system and would love to get into some of the games

Cheers Richard

Cody Fuller

Nov 1, 2017, 12:07:59 PM11/1/17
to QuadStick
Since the new one I got didn't work even with the Wii U firmware trick, I ordered the controller adapter Fred linked to earlier in this thread. Will update after I try it. Fingers crossed this time.:)

-Cody

chadh12345

Nov 1, 2017, 6:11:43 PM11/1/17
to QuadStick
I use Quadstick with converter.  I downloaded the firmware that I told you about and now it's plug in and play with any game.

Cody Fuller

Nov 1, 2017, 10:14:34 PM11/1/17
to QuadStick
Lucky :P I wish mine worked. Have fun playing Super Mario Odyssey.

Cody Fuller

Nov 1, 2017, 10:22:51 PM11/1/17
to QuadStick
Update: I tried the FastSnails converter as well tonight and can't get it to work either.I think I'm cursed lol.

Fred Davison

Nov 1, 2017, 10:34:36 PM11/1/17
to Cody Fuller, QuadStick
Make sure you are running the Quadstick in DS3 USB mode.  Use the Dual Shock 3 configuration file and switch to it after it powers up.

Cody Fuller

Nov 1, 2017, 10:43:59 PM11/1/17
to QuadStick
Yeah that's something I thought of tonight but unfortunately didn't work

chadh12345

Nov 2, 2017, 2:00:18 PM11/2/17
to QuadStick
Ok, 1st have someone help you pair either a DS3 or DS4 controller so it recognizes an actual controller.  Then make sure you have firmware PS3/PS4 to Wii U Standard Edition. Get it here: http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/Wii%20U/

Then since you have it paired with either DS3 or DS4, I used an extra DS4 controller, it should always remember the control you pair it with. So plug and play.

One last thing, the directions to par a DS3 or DS4 are wrong, go here: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/66392028/
Then do the 4 steps in this order when pairing your Dualshock controller:  Step 2, Step 3, Step 1, and then Step 4.  When doing Step 1 press all buttons it says but add R2 as well when your pushing all buttons, get converter blinking and then mash all those buttons, try holding and mashing, it should pair then.

Can be very frustrating...Then you will have plug and play.  Let me know if it works?

Cody Fuller

Nov 2, 2017, 2:46:31 PM11/2/17
to QuadStick
That worked! Thanks so much. The use a regular DS4 controller to pair first was the trick. Awesome! Mario time :D

chadh12345

Nov 2, 2017, 4:45:53 PM11/2/17
to QuadStick
I'm so glad you got it!!!  Super Mario Odyssey is a blast!

Fred, I have a question...Since I was able to help Cody, could you make my post with all directions on how to get Switch working with Brook Super Converter more prominent somewhere so anyone having trouble can see it.so it can help out as many possible who want to play Switch.  I went through a lot of trial and error by myself and with Brook to get it working.  Seems like this method is flawless.  I just want to help!

Here it is:

Fred Davison

Nov 2, 2017, 5:10:53 PM11/2/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
I'll make a post for it once I get my Switch.  It should arrive next week.

I never would have realized you still needed to pair it with a DS3/DS4 even though you will be using it with the Quadstick.  Have you found any decent support forum for it?

chadh12345

Nov 3, 2017, 3:19:33 PM11/3/17
to QuadStick

Fred,

No decent support forum out there.  I just watched some Youtube videos of people trying to get there's working.  There is a lot of people struggling out there with the Brook super converter.  Once you get it works great, plug n play.  I did trial and error and some help with a guy that works at Brook helped too.  Yes, you have to pair it with DS3/DS4 for it to work.  The whole description below of how I got it works excellent!  It is a lot of fun but probably a week and a half to figure this all out.  Follow what I did and its great.  To be honest, I just want others to not go through all headaches I did.  Keep me updated...

Thanks!

Cody Fuller

Nov 3, 2017, 9:10:00 PM11/3/17
to QuadStick
I never would have guessed that was the solution. I'm glad we nailed down the particular issue. This will help all Quadstick users who want to play Nintendo Switch. Right now I can't switch tabs within the Quadstick profile while playing, though, but Nintendo games don't usually have complex control schemes so it works just fine. Just thought I should mention it in case you want to check it out, Fred, when you get yours in.

Super Mario Odyssey is a blast! I'm happy I can finally play the Switch.

Fred Davison

Nov 3, 2017, 9:32:58 PM11/3/17
to Cody Fuller, QuadStick
Share a link with your config file spreadsheet.  Switching tabs should not be affected by the game or console.

Cody Fuller

Nov 4, 2017, 12:27:48 PM11/4/17
to QuadStick

Fred Davison

Nov 4, 2017, 12:58:04 PM11/4/17
to Cody Fuller, QuadStick
Change this:

increment_modenormal
decrement_modenormal

to this:

increment_modenormalright_sip
decrement_modenormalright_puff

Cody Fuller

Nov 4, 2017, 4:42:29 PM11/4/17
to QuadStick
Perfect! Thanks. Must have accidentally deleted that part. Lol.

Cody

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2017, 5:25:30 AM11/7/17
to QuadStick
Here is the version of my Super Converter, But I can not make it work
20171107_111536.jpg

Cody Fuller

Nov 7, 2017, 9:59:43 AM11/7/17
to QuadStick
Did you try having someone pair with a regular PS3 or PS4 controller first or try the Wii U firmware update? I had to do both on mine to get it to work.

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2017, 11:30:12 AM11/7/17
to QuadStick
I tried to update the Super Converter, but my pc does not recognize it ...

chadh12345

Nov 7, 2017, 1:09:23 PM11/7/17
to QuadStick
Try this:

Fred Davison

Nov 7, 2017, 1:47:10 PM11/7/17
to Jonathan Polmans, QuadStick
I have the similar problem with the my PS3/PS4 to Switch Super Converter, it appears dead.  Nothing lights up when I connect it to the Switch or the PC.

When I run the firmware update program with the converter plugged in, I get a "program will restart since timeout" message.  I'm returning it to Amazon and will try again.

In the meantime, this FastSnail Coov N100 Converter works well with the Quadstick running in XBox 360 mode (enable_DS3_emulation 3 on a Preferences sheet).    No setup or pairing, just plug and play.  You can start the QS in its normal (0) or PS4 mode (4) and then load a configuration file that switches it to XBox 360 mode (3).

I tested the N100 with several different controllers and it worked with a DS3, DS4, XBox 360 & the XBox One controller.  It did not work with a Hori-pad FPS-Plus in PS4 or PS3 mode (which is funny because they are emulating a Hori Pad S controller), the Mayflash F300 in PS3 or Xinput mode, or a couple of other generic PS3 and XBox controllers.

You can find them Ebay for under $10.  Search for N100 USB Controller Converter.

I'm still going to check out the Brook Super Converter when I get the replacement.

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 4:31:27 AM11/9/17
to QuadStick
Have you found a solution to operate the Super Converter?

Fred Davison

Nov 9, 2017, 12:12:56 PM11/9/17
to Jonathan Polmans, QuadStick
I am still waiting for the replacement super converter to test.

In the meantime yesterday, I reverse engineered the USB interface between the Coov N100 converter and the Switch and added a Switch compatible USB emulation mode to the Quadstick firmware in build 1820.  An example configuration file is here: Nintendo Switch.

The quadstick just plugs into the Switch docking station USB port.

There are a couple of issues:
  • When the Switch is in standby, the Quadstick continually resets, which can be very annoying.
  • When the Switch (and Quadstick) power up, you do not have much time (just 45 seconds) to use the side tube to select the Nintendo Switch configuration file and press A (lip) before the Switch will go back to sleep.  If there is a setting to lengthen that timeout, I would like to know it.  Once it is going, you can change the inactivity timeout to "Never" when connected to the TV, so it is just a problem getting started.

Dan NH

Nov 9, 2017, 5:25:41 PM11/9/17
to QuadStick
You are quite talented, Fred! Does this mean you can plug directly into the Nintendo switch, and just use the right-hand straw to reset the QS every time the Switch goes into standby?

Fred Davison

Nov 9, 2017, 6:20:49 PM11/9/17
to Dan NH, QuadStick
If it goes into standby, you will need to have the Switch turned off then on again.  You have 45 seconds to use the side tube to load a configuration file with the USB emulation (enable_DS3_emulation) set to 5.  The file needs to contain a Preferences sheet:

Preferences

PreferenceValue
enable_DS3_emulation5

Message has been deleted

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2017, 6:54:20 AM11/10/17
to QuadStick
So, if I understand correctly, by plugging the Quadstick into the Coov N100, does it work to play the Switch correctly and just use your Nintendo Switch Spreadsheet configuration?

Can I buy the Coov N100 with confidence?

Fred Davison

Nov 10, 2017, 12:45:05 PM11/10/17
to Jonathan Polmans, QuadStick
There are three separate ways to use the Quadstick with the Switch:
  1. Use a Coov N100, and run the quadstick using the "XBox 360 for PC" configuration file.
  2. Use a Brook Super Converter and run the quadstick using the "Dual Shock 3" configuration file.
  3. Plug the quadstick directly into the Switch (after updating the firmware to 1820), and using the "Nintendo Switch" configuration file.

If you want to make a game specific configuration file, start with one of those mentioned above.  It will have the properly formatted Preferences sheet inside the spreadsheet.

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2017, 4:53:44 AM11/11/17
to QuadStick
Could you explain to me how I should proceed to update the firmware to 1820?

Dennis / WheelyWorld

Nov 11, 2017, 8:03:04 AM11/11/17
to QuadStick

just open the QMP and follow these steps...

after updating the 1820 is displayed on the left,

Dennis / WheelyWorld

Nov 17, 2017, 4:22:16 AM11/17/17
to QuadStick
I was able to test firmware 1820 with Freds default Switch profile for a few minutes and I have to say:
THANKS Fred! You're awesome! It's Plug & Play and having fun :)

Fred Davison

Nov 17, 2017, 10:42:11 AM11/17/17
to Dennis / WheelyWorld, QuadStick
Thanks Dennis!

chadh12345

Nov 17, 2017, 1:36:45 PM11/17/17
to QuadStick
I can also confirm this as well!  Plug n play!  The only way I play Switch now!  Great job Fred!

johnqua...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 5:33:15 AM11/22/17
to QuadStick
I really have to thank you Fred Davison, you're a genius! Thanks to you I can finally play the Switch, you realize my dream. You a real dream seller, thank you very much!