Questions about moving from PC to PS4

cody ackert

Sep 25, 2017, 5:49:22 PM9/25/17
to QuadStick

Hey everyone,

I’ve been gaming on the QS for about a month now it’s been awesome! I’ve been playing on Windows with my iMac.

My brother has just bought me a PS4. And I have purchased a CronusMax Plus and an Active USB extension cable 15ft so that the QS can reach the PS4 from my computer desk. Those should be arriving on Wednesday. I have also purchased a USB hub for full crossover but will take a little while to get here.

I saw on one of the forms that Fred recommended having the Cronus plugged into the opposite end of the USB extension cable. So my setup will look something like this:

QS->Cronus->USB extension->PS4 = partial crossover.

QS->USB hub->Cronus->USB extension->PS4 = full crossover.

I do have a question about configuration files… Is there a certain preference sheet that you need to have for the QS to work on the PS4? Or does it work perfectly fine with having the configuration file set up for a PS3 controller?

Greatly appreciate your guys help on the forum. Along with talking to Fred directly, this has been a great experience. I am a C3-4 quadriplegic that's can't move from the shoulders down. Been a quad for 12 years, I'm 32 now and I'm super happy that there is finally an affordable gaming joystick for the disabled.

Thanks,

Cody

Fred Davison

Sep 25, 2017, 6:18:52 PM9/25/17
to cody ackert, QuadStick
Hi Cody:

Your hookup looks good.   The active extension cable is like a single port hub, from the standpoint of the Host it connects to (the PS4).  It would interfere with the connection if it was placed between the CM and the QS, so it has to go between the PS4 and the CM, like you have it drawn.

The CM will work with the Quadstick in USB modes 0 (default), 1(DS3), 3(XBox 360), & 4(PS4).  It doesn't work the X360CE mode (2).  If you use mode 4 (PS4 boot mode), then you can access the touchpad outputs in the configuration file.  If you use the other modes, you will need to use the PS4 Crossover Essentials gamepack to get to the touchpad.

If you are in full-crossover, the USB emulation mode must not change once it is started.  If it starts in mode 0 or mode 4, it needs to stay that way.  That's why it is handled a little differently by putting it in the preferences prefs.csv file instead a game csv file.  Partial crossover can tolerate the USB mode switching.

I just posted a firmware update for direct support for the PS4/DS4.  If you wanted to try it, I would first get your system working with your current plan, then you could try the new test version once you had a known good setup to start with.

Fred

cody ackert

Sep 26, 2017, 10:34:28 PM9/26/17
to QuadStick

Thanks Fred,

OK so just to confirm :-) if I want to have the QS as a PS3, then on the CM I would have to set the number to 1 on the LED screen by pressing the top button. If I want QS to be Xbox 360 then I would set it to number 3 on the CM.

QS as PS4 then CM number 4.

Does the CM Mode override the Games Profile Output settings in row three of the .CSV (nhl18.csv) file?

Sorry I feel a bit confused.

Fred Davison

Sep 27, 2017, 12:44:40 AM9/27/17
to cody ackert, QuadStick
Actually, those two numbers are not related.  The USB Modes are preference settings in the Quadstick (User Manual, page 38).  You probably don't need to change those since the CM will convert the normal Quadstick USB mode.

The numbers on the CronusMax display indicate what "slot" is running.  A slot is a program script or gamepack that is loaded into the CronusMax using the CronusPro program.  In order to use the touchpad on the PS4, you will need to load in the PS4 Crossover Essentials gamepack:  http://www.quadstick.com/blog/2014/10/29/how-to-use-the-quadstick-with-the-ps4

If you are using a hub between the CM and QS, then configure the CM for full crossover.  If you want to run without the hub, configure it for partial crossover.  If it is not set for partial crossover and the hub is missing or the DS4 and QS are not plugged in the correct ports, the CM display will have an alternating A/U.  Try reversing the order of the two devices.

The CronusMax User Manual describes this in detail for a "wired controller", which is what the QS is to the CM.

It is confusing and everybody has trouble with it in the beginning.  I long for the days when the PS3 would work with just about any controller without all the "authentication" complications.