Brook PS3 to PS4 Super Converter -- Better than using Cronusmax?

chadh12345

Apr 23, 2017, 5:33:39 PM4/23/17
to QuadStick

Hi,

Can someone tell me if this works?  Would be simpler.

Right now I use PS4 with Full USB Crossover with CM+.

I use PS4 CROSSOVER ESSENTIALS loaded in Slot 1 with firmware 1072.

Now let me see if I have this right, with firmware 1237 you don't need the PS4 CROSSOVER ESSENTIALS gamepack right?

It is already programmed into the Quadstick, right?  Well if this is the case I could use Brook PS3 to PS4 Super Converter

and have a much more simpler connection.  Quadstick to super converter to PS4, right?

Before I buy one can anyone try this and let me know please.  Firmware 1237 automatically remaps touchpad with Share button right?  So long sip on left hole, right?

Input would be great!

Thanks!

Fred Davison

Apr 23, 2017, 7:18:23 PM4/23/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
The new features in build 1237 do not directly replace the functions of the CronusMax gamepaks.  It is not a one-to-one substitution.  1237 has several new output names, detailed in the original announcement, that let NEW configuration files directly access the touchpad, gyro or accelerometers.  The gamepak works by remapping Right Analog to the touchpad and using Share to turn that remapping on and off.  1237 directly outputs to the touchpad.  Think of the touchpad like it is a third joystick.

1237 will continue to work exactly as before with the cronus max gamepaks with existing configuration files.  If you are happy with that, no change is required.  You would need to change the configuration file to make use of the new outputs if you did not want to use the gamepak.
Message has been deleted

chadh12345

Apr 24, 2017, 11:12:46 AM4/24/17
to QuadStick, chad...@hotmail.com
So basically a Brook PS3 to PS4 converter won't work.  B/c couldn't get it to do the same thing as the PS4 CROSSOVER ESSENTIALS pack.
I was basically looking for easiest setup with FULL CROSSOVER SUPPORT.

The only way is a USB hub then right?

Another question, running firmware 1072, should I upgrade?  1142 or 1237?  Or you gonna be releasing newer soon?  Recommendation please...

Thanks Fred!

chadh12345

Apr 24, 2017, 12:20:14 PM4/24/17
to QuadStick, chad...@hotmail.com
So does the Brook converter work with Quadstick on PS4?

If you do long soft sip on left hole will it do the function "Press Touchpad"

If that works couldn't I just make game files on my Quadstick and it would work?

Richard Kramer

Apr 24, 2017, 7:10:18 PM4/24/17
to QuadStick
hi

I jumped onto the Brooks super converter because of a post that Fred put up, but when I got my Brooks super converter it still had its old firmware and I need to get it updated to the latest, as I'm away on respite giving my parents a break I will not be able to tackle the firmware upgrade until I go home and get one of my techie friends to come over with a PS3 controller and help me do the upgrade process as you have to go through some button and stick configurations to do the upgrade of the firmware.

Once that has been achieved you can just plug your QS into the Brooks upgraded PS3 to PS4 converter and game away to your hearts content without it lagging out after 10 minutes and requiring a reset

In regards to accessing the touchpad I can answer that once it's been upgraded, I go home on 30 April so it will be sometime through the following week I get it achieved and I will let you know how I went

Cheers Richard

chadh12345

Apr 25, 2017, 2:07:57 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick
Hi Richard,

That would be great!  Thanks!

chadh12345

Apr 25, 2017, 3:02:17 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick
Hi,

So I did more reading on the Brooks PS3 to PS4 converter.  The only way to PRESS TOUCHPAD is by pressing L3 and R3 at the same time.
Can this be done?  I don't know how you would do it?  Fred , do you have any idea?  How to do L3 & R3 at same time?  Is it possible?
This is the only obstacle.  You can't remap this either.  I emailed them.  If this is the case I would say Cronusmax with USB Hub is better option.

Anyone have input?  Thanks!

Fred Davison

Apr 25, 2017, 6:17:12 PM4/25/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
The Brook converter has limited touchpad support.  You can press the touchpad in the middle or the left or right sides.  You cannot freely move the touch position around like you can the CronusMax, you can only press it in three places.

This is probably enough for the majority of games that need touchpad support.  The Brook is cheaper and does not need a USB hub to avoid the timeouts.

The downside is the Brook has to have its firmware updated with a new releases of the Playstation software and the update process can be difficult (at least from older firmware. It should be easier going forward).  There can a delay between the release of new Sony software and Brook reverse engineering how to get around the new roadblocks.  CronusMax avoids that problem by using the original controller for authentication.

Pressing multiple buttons like L3 & R3 at the same time is just a matter of assigning the two outputs to the same input.

chadh12345

Apr 25, 2017, 6:28:39 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick, chad...@hotmail.com
Hi Fred,

Thanks for taking the time for all your input!  I really appreciate it.  Can you confirm one thing please...

Can the touchpad be pressed by just using a long sip on left hole?  Or is it L3 & R3 buttons pushed simultaneously.

If you could just answer that?  I still will probably be more inclined to use Cronusmax but am just curious.

Thanks!

Fred Davison

Apr 25, 2017, 11:27:13 PM4/25/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
It can be whatever input and combination of outputs you want.  You could configure the quadstick to push all the buttons at once from a single input if you wanted.

Existing configurations will need to be modified to take advantage of these new features.

Richard Kramer

Apr 25, 2017, 11:47:33 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick
I was just checking out the default configuration of the controls on the little card that came with the QS, and noticed that the puff centre+left function is vacant so that would be ideal for me to have that combo to bring up the touchpad :-) :-)

because so far my hack and slash I like to play are easily played on default configuration.

Cheers & thanks Fred for your wonderful source of knowledge & Chad for asking the question

Richard Kramer

Apr 25, 2017, 11:47:40 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick
ps3.jpg

Richard Kramer

Apr 25, 2017, 11:48:41 PM4/25/17
to QuadStick
on the Brooks super converter I forgot to mention

chadh12345

Apr 26, 2017, 2:18:27 PM4/26/17
to QuadStick

Can you answer Fred?  Put it in as number 2 game profile on Quadstick...

Do I need a PS3 controller to program a Brooks converter?  Don't have one...

Fred Davison

Apr 26, 2017, 3:08:31 PM4/26/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
The firmware update process is not easy IF the firmware is very old.  Richard bought one that had very old firmware, like mine did, and it requires a Sony brand Dual Shock 3 or Six Axis controller to perform the update to the next version of the firmware (which is still "old", just not "very old").  After that, the update from merely old to new firmware is easy.  There is no way to know what version of firmware you are likely to receive if you buy one but it will probably be very old so you will probably need to use a Sony controller to update it.

Unless you are willing to dig into their site and documentation (which is all poorly written Chinese to English translations), I would stay away from it.

chadh12345

Apr 26, 2017, 4:59:00 PM4/26/17
to QuadStick, chad...@hotmail.com

Ok, thanks Fred.  They said they may send me one free of charge to keep.  If I like it I can use but will probably stick with Cronusmax.  Sounds like more reliable.  Thanks for all your comments Fred.  I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chad
Message has been deleted

chadh12345

May 2, 2017, 4:57:54 PM5/2/17
to QuadStick
Hey Richard,

Did you get to try the Converter?  How does it work?

Thanks!

Richard Kramer

May 2, 2017, 10:33:43 PM5/2/17
to QuadStick
hi Chad

Haven't tested it out yet, still getting myself sorted out after being away for a month

soon as I do I will let you know

Cheers Richard

chadh12345

May 4, 2017, 1:23:37 PM5/4/17
to QuadStick
Hey Fred,

Do you need a PS3 controller to update firmware on Brook PS3 to PS4 converter?  They are giving me one to try free of charge...

Thanks!

Fred Davison

May 4, 2017, 1:38:24 PM5/4/17
to chadh12345, QuadStick
Yes, it requires a Sony brand PS3 controller.

Richard Kramer

May 5, 2017, 11:57:38 PM5/5/17
to QuadStick

Hi Chad,

Finally got my Brooks super converter PS3 to PS4 fully upgraded. I connected it via a long cable from the quadstick then plugging it into the converter into my PS4 and let it go through the motions,

Although I was a little bit perplexed as to why it didn't show the controller on the console like it does with the cronos Max. So I contacted Fred & he suggested I do a soft sip on the quadstick & it worked perfectly fine. So I played the witcher 3 for almost 2 hours without any issues.

My next quest will be to get the control configurations put into my default CSV in the vacant spot where I can use centre+left puff to hopefully activate the touchpad as described on the Brooks converter website.

Will let you know once I have tried it.

Thanks again to Fred

Cheers Richard

chadh12345