How can I re-install QuadStick drive?

alphonso mobley

Mar 18, 2016, 9:38:04鈥疨M3/18/16
to QuadStick
Version: 1.04
QuadStick prefs.csv not found. 聽Using default values
QuadStick drive not found
CronusMax connected
Console type: PS4 Controller type: PS4
QuadStick Game Controller interface successfully opened

Fred Davison

Mar 18, 2016, 9:46:32鈥疨M3/18/16
to alphonso mobley, QuadStick
Did you reformat the drive?聽

Can you see the drive in Windows Explorer?

jeffrey zaragoza

Mar 18, 2016, 11:58:58鈥疨M3/18/16
to QuadStick
i had same problem ...your pref. csv was deleted or got rewritten ...just down this and replace default and prefs files..... im sending it here since you can't get it through the quadstick
prefs.csv
default.csv

Fred Davison

Mar 19, 2016, 12:28:28鈥疉M3/19/16
to jeffrey zaragoza, QuadStick
That would give him this message:聽 "QuadStick prefs.csv not found.聽 Using default values"
but not this one: "QuadStick drive not found"
while still having this: "QuadStick Game Controller interface successfully opened"

so the quadstick is plugged in, but a drive named: "Quad Stick" was not found, so the QMP did not know where to look for the csv files.聽 We need to get the drive visible and with the correct name.聽 I think just deleting the csv files would still let QMP find the QuadStick drive and you would see something like: "QuadStick drive letter: E:".

If a removable drive shows up in windows explorer when the quadstick is plugged in, but has some other name, which can happen if Windows formatted the drive, or some other drive error occurred, there are a couple ways to recover:
  1. Right click properties and change the name of the drive to "Quad Stick" (with a single space between Quad and Stick), then restart QMP and see if it shows up.聽 If so, update the firmware to some different version, then to what ever version you want.聽 Then restore the game files and preferences you want.
  2. If #1 does not work, download a copy of the firmware file (Joystick.bin) from from one of the builds in http://fw.quadstick.com/Builds/ and copy it into the quadstick flash drive and let up install itself.聽 Then copy in the two files Jeffrey included.聽 After that QMP should work.

And if that doesn't work, there are a couple of other things that can erase and format the drive, by forcing it into a boot loader recovery mode, and ultimately, I can reload everything here from scratch using a special cable.

But since it says "QuadStick Game Controller interface successfully opened", that tells me the firmware is running and the USB is working, but the flash drive probably got messed up.聽 I've seen it happen when somebody accidentally copied a large file into the quadstick flash and it ran out of space.

jeffrey zaragoza

Mar 19, 2016, 1:00:53鈥疉M3/19/16
to QuadStick
I'm going saying this because I experienced it so don't read it if Fred thinks it does not apply ( I fixed mine three times this waybefore I figured out the cause)

Fred I don't know if you remember but there was an incident that a certain program that came with the quad stick manager download that cause my quad sick to become an Xbox 360 controller and not a quadstick anymore, I think the program was called DTS script toolkit or something with that ....

Anyways to fix this I one uninstalled the program that messed things up and deleted it

but to fix my quad stick I actually just plugged it in to another laptop or PC and it fixed it right then and there ,, I think it's fixed it because a when you connected to a computer or laptop that has never excepted the quad stick it chooses the appropriate program to open it and view it .

Fred Davison

Mar 19, 2016, 1:57:26鈥疉M3/19/16
to jeffrey zaragoza, QuadStick
The quadstick can directly emulate Dual Shock 3 or XBox 360 controllers and if you edit that directly into a prefs.csv or default.csv file, you can get yourself into trouble, because there is no flash drive, mouse or keyboard function in those modes to allow you to get back to normal.聽 This is why I advise never to edit csv files directly and leave the default.csv file alone,聽 so you can always get control of your quadstick.聽聽

But Alphonso has "QuadStick Game Controller interface successfully opened" which will not display if the quadstick was in the DS3 or XBox 360 modes.聽 That only shows in the normal quadstick mode or in X360CE mode, both of which allow the flash drive to work, so if he sees one message, he should see the other.

SCP ToolKit is a program I was hoping would allow the quadstick to work with modern PC games that use XInput (XBox 360 controller), but it is still not stable.聽 The guy working on it seems to be in a rush to add a new features but is leaving lots of bugs in his wake, so I removed the SCP Server page from the support section of the website until things settle down.聽 I need a solution that allows support for XInput games, but still lets the quadstick function as a mouse, keyboard and flash drive.聽聽 X360CE works like that and is about 80% there but many games don't allow it because it works by replacing files in the games binary folder and some flag that as cheating.聽 Counter Strike Global Offensive is an example of one that will not allow X360CE.聽聽 You have to play that as WASD + mouse, not as a game controller.

jeffrey zaragoza

Mar 19, 2016, 2:18:38鈥疉M3/19/16
to QuadStick
Thanks for heads up on counterstrike...scary if they banned me

Dan NH

Mar 7, 2017, 10:19:25鈥疨M3/7/17
to QuadStick, bleach...@gmail.com
I ran into this issue on day two. I decided to emulate the Xbox 360 controller to make Pac-Man championship edition a little bit easier. But I found that the sensitivity of the joystick wasn't to my liking, so I clicked "save preferences" in the quadstick program and these errors were reproduced.

Here's how I fixed it. I don't recommend you following these instructions unless Fred says it's okay. I'm posting this so Fred can have a look.

I went into device manager and removed the Xbox 360 controller. Then I used the increment straw on the right by sipping for a few seconds until it went into some kind of mode select. Then I just moved the stick up and selected some random mode and pressed the lip button. The quadstick then appeared to reboot itself, and it popped up as a flash drive, and it restored all of my old preferences.

I'm thinking I chose a profile that was beyond whatever the emulation is set up to do, it errored and started over.

Anyway, yeah, was a little bit nervous for a second! I want to stress, I did not edit the CSV directly. I clicked the quadstick program button to copy the preferences during 360 emulation. Probably effectively the same thing, but maybe there could be some kind of block on that activity during emulation mode.

Fred Davison

Mar 7, 2017, 11:15:00鈥疨M3/7/17
to Dan NH, QuadStick, jeffrey zaragoza
Funny you should mention that.聽 The next firmware release will have a recovery method triggered by a realllly loooong sip on the side tube.聽 It will reformat the flash drive, leave it blank and reboot.聽 Then the user can copy in a fresh set of files.聽 When it is completely blank, it runs a basic controller and mouse profile with flash access.

Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante]

May 18, 2020, 11:36:48鈥疉M5/18/20
to QuadStick
Hi Fred.
The trouble you comment on in this post is just the one that I have got into myself.
I have modified the 'prefs.csv' file defining it as XBox 360. The worst thing is that now in my QuadStick there is no 'flash drive' and I cannot modify my 'maps' for the different games that I play.
I suppose, Fred, that there will be some way of being able to make my QuadStick go back to being a 'flash drive' and be able to modify my 'maps' by means of the 'QMP program'. (I promise that I will not modify the 'prefs.csv' file again馃槉).

Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante]

May 18, 2020, 11:38:59鈥疉M5/18/20
to QuadStick
Fred, I don't know if I have done well to put my post in this thread or it would be better if I opened a new one.

Fred Davison

May 18, 2020, 11:53:11鈥疉M5/18/20
to Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante], QuadStick
If the Rocket League configuration is still on your Quadstick, you can select that file using the side tube and it will allow the flash to be access.

If there is no configuration that will give you access to the flash,聽 you can erase the flash, which will force the quadstick back to the default USB mode 0, and let you restore all the files.

You can erase the flash memory with the following:

This should work with either the FPS or original models if the firmware is greater than 1142:

When the Quadstick powers up, it goes through sequence where the leds flash in a specific pattern.聽 While they are all flashing pink just after it is plugged in, push the lip button all the way in while simultaneously sipping on the center hole.聽 Hold that for several seconds until the Quadstick resets again and all the lights start flashing pink.聽聽 If necessary, you can remove the tube for the center hole and have an assistant sip on it while holding the lip button all the way in.

For many original models:

While the leds are flashing pink, just after, but not before, power is applied, press directly in on the mouthpiece to activate the switch in the base of the joystick and hold it until a couple of seconds after the leds stop flashing.聽 This is probably too painful for you to do with your mouth.聽 An assistant can press in on the mouthpiece with both thumbs.聽 You should hear a click when the switch activates.

Afterwards, you can copy the Default Configuration and Default Preferences into the drive using QMP, then update the firmware to the latest version, then load in all your custom CSV files, or I can send you a ZIP file containing the original configuration files.

Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante]

May 18, 2020, 12:57:58鈥疨M5/18/20
to QuadStick
Thanks Fred !!!
I do not have the Rocket League configuration.
I have tried the first option (of the two that you suggest) and it has worked for me.
I already have, again, my QuadStick as a flash drive.
However, I have already learned the lesson that the prefs.csv file must be handled with great caution.
Thanks again, Fred !!!

Fred Davison

May 18, 2020, 1:33:55鈥疨M5/18/20
to Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante], QuadStick
If somebody wanted the quadstick to power up in a USB mode that did not have a flash, they could make sure to have a configuration that set enable_DS3_emulation to 0, 2, or 4, that they could switch to for using QMP.

The scenarios could be someone who mostly wants to play on a Nintendo Switch, to avoid having to quickly switch to a different config file, or an Android pad to avoid it always wanting to reformat the flash drive to the Android spec, or some situation where you would want to power up in a specific mode.聽聽 A configuration file that sets the enable_DS3_emulation to 0 would then allow QMP to manage the settings.

enable_DS3_emulation0
Force default USB config

Regarding the name enable_DS3_emulation, in the beginning there were only two USB emulations, default and DS3.聽 DS3 was needed for games that used the motion controls for the PS3 since the default mode, that has the flash, does not have good motion controls.聽 Later on more USB emulation modes were added, but it was too late to rename the preference.

There is an old programming joke:聽 There are 2 hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-1 errors.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quadstick/90cc7cb7-2e30-404a-a7a3-a1fcf9a0ae0c%40googlegroups.com.

Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante]

May 18, 2020, 2:02:29鈥疨M5/18/20
to QuadStick
Thanks for the additional information, Fred.
One last question. Is there a way to get that specific spreadsheet to make QuadStick behave like an XBox controller?
I explain. I have a PC game (DiRT Rally 2.0) that shows the actions into itself as if they were from XBox (this may be due to Titan Two, which I have configured as an XBox controller ...). The QuadStick I have it, right now, connected directly to the PC and the Titan Two also, simultaneously (each device in a different USB). I connect the QuadStick to Titan Two only to play other specific games, but if not, I connect the QuadStick directly to the PC, because this way the QuadStick works better in the game (I have that feeling).
So, I think that I might be interested in getting the mapping that I have created for that game (DiRT Rally 2.0) to make the QuadStick behave like an XBox controller, but only for that game.
Thanks for your help, Fred!!

Fred Davison

May 18, 2020, 2:41:00鈥疨M5/18/20
to Santi-Tetra [Un temerario al volante], QuadStick
XBox 360 for PC is an example.

If you need mouse control while the USB is in mode 3, the bluetooth module can be used as a mouse:聽 XBox 360 for PC with Bluetooth Mouse

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quadstick/f101f1a3-5ace-44d3-a465-64884fc4947d%40googlegroups.com.