Is it possible to make a macro?

Dan NH

Feb 27, 2017, 10:34:06 PM2/27/17
to QuadStick
I am interested in sequencing keypresses.

Fred Davison

Feb 27, 2017, 11:50:52 PM2/27/17
to Dan NH, QuadStick
Hi Dan:

Currently the quadstick does not have a way to directly enter sequences but something like this might work, if you are talking about keyboard keys:

USB keyboards have a feature called N-key rollover that might work out if your sequences will fit in the keyboard's USB report (6 characters, plus control, shift, alt and win).  Basically the keys presses are sent to the PC and there can be up to six keys pressed before the first one needs to be released.

I just tested this in a configuration file:

kb_a
normal
mp_center_sip
kb_b
delay_on 10
mp_center_sip
kb_c
delay_on 20
mp_center_sip
kb_d
delay_on 30
mp_center_sip
kb_e
delay_on 40
mp_center_sip
kb_f
delay_on 50
mp_center_sip

with Notepad and it worked fine.

You would need to firmware version 1142 and manually put in the "delay_on ##" strings in the output function column (they won't be in the pull down list).

Can you give me some more context?  Platform, game or program?  How many keys would you need?

Another possibility would be "autohotkey", an automation program that can take a trigger key, like Alt-Shift-X, and perform some function, including substituting key strokes.

Fred

SteamyBiscuit

Feb 28, 2017, 12:04:54 AM2/28/17
to QuadStick
That's crazy looks like you finally added that feature I've been waiting for 🤗👏🤝

Dan NH

Feb 28, 2017, 6:06:55 PM2/28/17
to QuadStick, dann...@gmail.com

Thanks Fred! That is a clever way of doing macros. I think that would work for DragonBall Xenoverse.

I should say, I just ordered the quadstick. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail, but I'm going through all kinds of videos (I saw a lot by steamybiscuit of what you can do).

One thing I didn't see in the videos were macros to play games like Mortal Kombat and Dragonball Xenoverse, which have somewhat notorious button sequences.

Briefly about how I play:
I have a progressive muscle disease. I used to have eight fingers and two arms for gaming. I played on PlayStation 3 and PC. Now I have two fingers and my voice. I cannot do the PS3 anymore. I have gone from being an adequate counterstrike player to giving up on FPS completely in favor of games that match my abilities. Being down to two fingers that can tap means I'm limited in the genre of game I can play.

As I have been slowly alienated from my favorite activities, it has been frustrating. I happened to come across Ablegames, Brolylegs, steamybiscuit and some other folks on twitch and YouTube  that are playing games like I used to be able to. I saw the quadstick. I am not technically a quad, but functionally I am nearly the same as one. I think the quadstick will be awesome for me as it uses the mouth, which is something I still have.

Currently, I play games using glovepie (I have written 135 scripts to play games so far) and Dragonnaturally speaking. With a combination of these things, I can play MOBAs and slow strategy games. I do not play any FPS or fighting games because they are too fast. Racing games are too tiring. Actually most games are physically tiring these days. But I am inspired by the folks I have seen playing with their mouths.

Thanks for your reply. I hope to be able to play with other quadstick users. If there is a steam group, please send me an invite!

Fred Davison - QuadStick

Mar 1, 2017, 1:59:43 PM3/1/17
to QuadStick, dann...@gmail.com
A Steam Group is great idea!  I just created a QuadStick group on Steam.

There is a spreadsheet were some people have put their various usernames on the different gaming services.

Dan NH

Mar 1, 2017, 5:34:25 PM3/1/17
to QuadStick, dann...@gmail.com
I signed up. Finding a lot of information here. Thanks.

Hashbrowns

Apr 21, 2017, 10:08:35 PM4/21/17
to QuadStick, dann...@gmail.com
I follow these instructions, and I got the keys to work in Notepad. The game I am playing is zOMG! on www.Gaiaonline.com ., While the keys work in Notepad, they won't work in the game, except for the last key pressed. I've tried raissing the delay from five all the way to 1000, but still only the last button in the sequence.

If you could help me out like you did on the last thing I would really appreciate it. Of course I also welcome any other help that can resolve this issue.

. This was the last thing I tried.
kb_1
normal
mp_left_puff
kb_2
delay_on 1000
mp_left_puff
kb_3
delay_on 2000
mp_left_puff
kb_4
delay_on 3000
mp_left_puff
kb_5
delay_on 4000
mp_left_puff

Fred Davison - QuadStick

May 12, 2017, 1:33:27 AM5/12/17
to QuadStick, dann...@gmail.com
Are you running firmware version 1142 or later?

haywood merritt

May 14, 2017, 12:47:37 PM5/14/17
to QuadStick
You can sequence keypresses Dragon through its command mode. And also with vocola. Windows allows you to create macros that bind to a certain key and then you bind that key quad stick

Fred Davison

May 14, 2017, 1:49:58 PM5/14/17
to haywood merritt, QuadStick
I think that game acts on the release of the key instead of the press.  Notepad adds the key to the display on the press, but the game does not react at all until the release and you have no idea have far along the sequence you are because there is no feedback.  They get pressed, and held down, in sequence but all get released at the same time, with the last one pressed being accepted as the input.  That idea could be tested by holding the left puff for varying lengths of time and see what key it reacts to.

The fix would be to have a way to press and release a key before the next key.

One idea I've been mulling over is to add a second parameter to delay_on that controlled how long it was on.  Like this:

kb_1, pulse 200, mp_left_puff
kb_2, delay_on 1000 200, mp_left_puff
kb_3, delay_on 2000 200, mp_left_puff
etc

Every second, the next key would be pressed and released before the next one.

Timothy Carey

Apr 20, 2021, 5:13:59 PM4/20/21
to QuadStick
That would be great.

Timothy Carey

Apr 26, 2021, 6:15:16 PM4/26/21
to QuadStick
What is a clever way of doing macros?

Fred Davison

Apr 26, 2021, 6:20:09 PM4/26/21
to Timothy Carey, QuadStick
That thread is from four years ago.  That second parameter was added back then:

Will prevent the output from turning on for a period of time (in ms) after an input goes active.  The default delay is 1000 ms.  An optional parameter can control the delay.  If an optional second parameter is present, the output will pulse for the duration of the second parameter and turn off.  By default the output will stay on as long as the input is active.  This function can be used to sequence up to six keyboard keys from one input.

If the second parameter is exactly 1, the output will toggle on/off each time the input is activated for longer than the delay period.

Timothy Carey

Apr 26, 2021, 6:49:12 PM4/26/21
to QuadStick
Still like the following?  But first, with does one puff do 123 or does it need three puff.

kb_1, pulse 200, mp_left_puff
kb_2, delay_on 1000 200, mp_left_puff
kb_3, delay_on 2000 200, mp_left_puff

Fred Davison

Apr 26, 2021, 7:24:32 PM4/26/21
to Timothy Carey, QuadStick
Yes, though those one and two second delays are very long.  It was probably just to demonstrate the concept.

DisabilityVoice

Apr 26, 2021, 7:31:51 PM4/26/21
to Fred Davison, QuadStick
1 puff or 3 puffs