Ultrastik 360 sensitivity (PC gaming)

Mark Lewis

Dec 20, 2016, 6:50:57 PM12/20/16
to QuadStick
A quick bit of context: I'm a C5 quadriplegic and have ability to use the Ultrastik 360. I game on a PC. Up until a few days ago I was mapping the Ultrastik to the WASD keys in the QuiadStick configuration profiles. The thing that bothered me greatly:

  1. The Ultrastik doesn't always center causing unintentional key output. Yes, I know this can be mitigated in the configuration profile using "greater_than 50" but the interpretation of these numbers varies greatly from the same implementation for the QuadStick. This might have something to do with my next point…
  2. There is no sensitivity. Regardless of the amount the joystick is moved in one direction, the key output (A or D in this case) is always ON  or OFF, there is no in between. For example, in GTA 5, it's almost impossible to drive because the turns are always a hard right or hard left.

I've been searching the forums to see if anyone else discusses these issues but I haven't found anything similar. Elsewhere on the web is not been much helpful either.

I bought a CronusMax Plus and plugged the Ultrastik 360 into it, along with connecting the program port on the CronusMax Plus to the PC. In CronusPro I set the output to XB360. I tried it in GTA 5 and the Ultrastik 360 controlled the directional movement for on-foot and the left and right when driving. The sensitivity was amazing and much easier to control!

So that's where I am at the moment and I'm wondering how to improve the setup. I'm not sure how to map the brake and acceleration keys to the Ultrastik, but I'm thinking my next idea is to map the W and S keys to the QuadStick's vertical joystick movement. I just feel like I'm missing something because surely others are experiencing the same problem I have experienced using the Ultrastik 360?

 Appreciate any advice!

Fred Davison

Dec 20, 2016, 7:02:16 PM12/20/16
to Mark Lewis, QuadStick
Hi Mark:

You are right about trying to drive with A/D keys in PC games:  It is terrible.  I think GTA works with X360CE.  The QuadStick has a special X360CE mode (that exists to preserve analog values for L2/R2 triggers which are used for brakes and gas), that should still work with QMP feeding UltraStick values into the QuadStick.  You can then get full analog steering with the ultrastick or the quadstick.

There is a "duty cycle" output function that will rapidly turn a key on and off in proportion to the joystick position that I used in the Half Life configuration for driving the boat and car in that game.  It was usable, but not as smooth as a joystick.  I don't know how people steer with keys.

Fred

Mark Lewis

Jan 3, 2017, 6:19:05 PM1/3/17
to QuadStick, ma...@casadelewis.com
Okay, I've been experimenting…

For now, my preference is to have the QuadStick talk to the CronusMax Plus (which also has its programming port plugged into USB). Initially, I wasn't aware that you could mix keyboard outputs and controller outputs in the same configuration. Pretty cool! This approach has resulted in much better control using the Ultrastik. However, I have noticed that some games are still a bit sensitive for me. This is probably due to the simple fact that a finger is typically used to control these analog outputs and I'm using my whole 'paw' :) That being said, an important question Fred:

  1. Is there any way we can tap into the CronusMax's analog sensitivity features/adjustments? The only way I know this is possible is by plugging the QuadStick into the CronusMax itself. However, doing so would make many games difficult that require the analog joystick to have different outputs based on different modes (foot, driving, flying etc.). Using the configuration features of the QuadStick is very important.

Is it possible to add different configuration options for the QuadStick to relay to the CronusMax?

Thanks for considering!

Fred Davison

Jan 3, 2017, 8:17:46 PM1/3/17
to Mark Lewis, QuadStick
Every PC game is a little different.  An approach that works for one may not work another.  GTA has individual sensitivity adjustments for each controller mode (walking, driving, flying, etc).  You might find something useful in there, but you are looking for a more general approach.

When the CronusMax is passing through commands on the PCPROG port, it can't do anything else.  It can't run scripts (slots).  X-Aim will run scripts, so you could adjust any value in there, if you were playing on a console.

When running QMP with an UltraStik and a CronusMax, the two streams of USB data are independent from each other.  You can turn off the CronusMax driver in the QMP (Misc tab) and still have the UltraStik values passed through to the quadstick.  Then X-Aim could take data back from the quadstick and massage it, and pass it through to the CronusMax, but for PC games, X-Aim can't be used since it has to be in front.

Right now the QMP+QS just passes the UltraStik value straight through.  No scaling.  There is no reason I couldn't add scaling preferences for the "external pointers".  I'm adding a mouse location and button capture to QMP to support the Tobii EyeX, for console games, and since I'm going to be making changes to that part of the program anyway, I'll add some scaling preferences.

X360CE has axis scaling adjustments.  For PC games that support X360CE, you can create game specific configurations and adjust things like deadzones, anti-deadzones, acceleration and sensitivity.  Wouldn't need to use the CronusMax for those games.

Mark Lewis

Jan 3, 2017, 10:01:13 PM1/3/17
to QuadStick, ma...@casadelewis.com
Every PC game is a little different.  An approach that works for one may not work another.  GTA has individual sensitivity adjustments for each controller mode (walking, driving, flying, etc).  You might find something useful in there, but you are looking for a more general approach.

I didn't realize there were sensitivity settings like this in the games. Several I have checked so far have been and I will definitely make some adjustments to see what happens. Thank you for pointing this out (noob here!)

Right now the QMP+QS just passes the UltraStik value straight through.  No scaling.  There is no reason I couldn't add scaling preferences for the "external pointers".  I'm adding a mouse location and button capture to QMP to support the Tobii EyeX, for console games, and since I'm going to be making changes to that part of the program anyway, I'll add some scaling preferences.

I think that would be great and make things more versatile.

X360CE has axis scaling adjustments.  For PC games that support X360CE, you can create game specific configurations and adjust things like deadzones, anti-deadzones, acceleration and sensitivity.  Wouldn't need to use the CronusMax for those games.

It's my understanding that X360CE doesn't work with all games. In the end it makes more sense to me to use one approach for all games so that is why I opted to use the QMP + QuadStick + CronusMax approach.

Thank you!

Fred Davison

Jan 8, 2017, 5:49:26 PM1/8/17
to Mark Lewis, QuadStick
Mark:

Take a look at the Default Preferences configuration file.  There are eight new preferences to adjust the sensitivity of the values coming in from the UltraStik 360's (there can be two).

usb_1_multiplier_right
usb_1_multiplier_left
usb_1_multiplier_down
usb_1_multiplier_up
usb_2_multiplier_right
usb_2_multiplier_left
usb_2_multiplier_down
usb_2_multiplier_up

Since you are using one UltraStik, you would use the usb_1_multiplier_ preferences.

They all default to 100%.  They should work in firmware build 1072.  They can be put on a preference page in a configuration, or on an individual mode page.  Not supported by QMP yet for prefs.csv

Let me know how it works for you or if you have any questions.

Fred

Mark Lewis

Jan 9, 2017, 10:44:00 AM1/9/17
to QuadStick, ma...@casadelewis.com
Rock on Fred, thank you! I'll play around with these tonight and let you know if I stumble.