Jump, Run, and Look Around

pna...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 4:27:33 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to QuadStick
So I am attempting to play more third person action games like the Tomb Raider games and even old classics like Prince of Persia The Sands of Time (the GOG version). Right now I'm focusing on the latter because it's a bit simpler as far as controls go but it still shares the same problem for me with  more complicated third person action games.

So you typically use WASD for moving around and the mouse for control in the camera but the Quadstick only has one joystick so I haven't come up with a good way for me to look around and move at the same time without switching between two sheets which isn't ideal.

If I use the joystick for the mouse (camera controls) and something like center puff for W (forward) and center sip for S (backward) that works pretty good for moving around and controlling the camera simultaneously but to do anything else like jumping and shooting while continuing to move is impossible because I have to stop using center puff to activate other inputs like left-center puff for SPACE (jump) and right-center puff for left-click (shoot). This obviously makes running and jumping impossible.

I have tried "tap back” to quickly switch between sheets where I can use the joystick with one sheet for WASD and use the joystick for camera control with the second sheet. This method makes it possible to do things like jumping and shooting while moving because you're moving with the joystick and doing those other things with the three sip and puff  tubes. However having to switch to another sheet just to use the joystick for a camera control, even even when using something quickly like tap back you're still kind of clunky. It makes it really difficult to play third person action games.

And using the chin switch for stuff like jumping and shooting doesn't work for me. I usually relegate that switch to the escape key for every game.

I'm playing these games on Mac but I suppose the same thing would apply to a PC. Admittedly I'm not the most advanced user of the Quadstick. I've learned a lot over the years but evidently still not enough to solve this problem. So I have largely been avoiding these types of games.

Any suggestions?

Steven F

Jul 1, 2024, 4:38:21 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to QuadStick
Did you try using toggle on center puff/sip so you're not constantly holding the input to move forward or back.

pna...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 4:57:04 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to QuadStick
No I did not try that but I will when I get home tonight. That might help. It never occurred to me before. Thanks.

Fred Davison

Jul 1, 2024, 6:14:31 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to pna...@gmail.com, QuadStick
Look at how the RockyNoHands games configurations are designed.  He came up with a really clean way of rapidly switching modes using the center sip that he uses on all his configurations.

PUBG would proabably be close to what you want.

pna...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 6:26:09 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to QuadStick
Very interesting. I will have to experiment with Rocky's profiles. The PUBG does seem like the one I would be the most comfortable with. And some of the games I am thinking of don't use nearly that many keys which makes things easier. I always forget about the delayed latch. Never really figure out a way to use that. I'd like the way that he uses it in his halo infinite profile.

Thanks.

Ikonosaurus Rex

Jul 2, 2024, 3:18:25 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to QuadStick
You could do that or I have had it where moving the joystick up or down moves me forward and back and then the left and right aims left and right allowing you to turn. I would then do something like left-center puff to switch to the next tab of your profile which controls the right joystick.

Dan NH

Jul 2, 2024, 9:56:32 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to QuadStick
Here is my technique. You can overload movement and mouse look on one sheet by how far you press the joystick.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xx2e-AMInOwZk1vfwxa-Oe09bit5efWFHDOdvDj96bs/edit?gid=19#gid=19

pna...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2024, 12:25:23 PM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to QuadStick
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm going to be doing some experimenting with all of this. If any of it works well for me I will report back. 😊