Magic arm question

Steven F

Jun 30, 2024, 12:14:31 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to QuadStick
Is it possible for one end of the magic arm to remain tight or at least tighter then the other end when the main knob is loosened? Is there an adjustment for that? If so, is there a youtube video that demonstrates how to adjust the tightness?

Fred Davison

Jun 30, 2024, 2:53:26 PM (5 days ago) Jun 30
to Steven F, QuadStick

This guy over-explains how to adjust the tension on the spigot ball.

Back off the lock nut and bring the spigot end closer to the center pivot, then lock the adjustment with the lock nut.  Make small changes.  If the arm end is brought too close, the center pivot will not generate enough friction, or the other spigot will not work correctly.  It is a balancing act between the friction in three joints.

One thing he does not mention is NEVER disassemble a magic arm.  It will not go back together again and you will end up buying a new one.

There are small spring loaded parts that will go flying away, that have to be assembled in exactly the right orientation to make the magic happen.

Steven F

Jun 30, 2024, 4:15:55 PM (5 days ago) Jun 30
to QuadStick
Thanks Fred but that may be a bit to complicated for my helpers. I'll make do with it as is.

I always wondered how these arms work so didn't mind the over explanation lol.