R: QuadraServer TCP port number

1 view

Cristian Sileo

Jun 12, 2009, 4:49:52 PM6/12/09
to quadr...@googlegroups.com

Oh man, you're the one!..right reasons to choose the 4600 tcp port! (OT: typing from a Magic!) Ciao, Cristian

Il giorno 12 giu, 2009 10:33 p., "Stefano Sanna (gerdavax)" <gerd...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Ciao.

We are close to have a server where to run the first instance of
QuadraServer and it's time to find a free TCP port for its end-points.

I propose to use TCP port 4600, for the following reasons:

1) it's free, according to List of TCP and UDP port numbers on
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers)

2) the first number (in italian) which digits start respectively with
"Q" and "S" is Quaranta Sei (forty six). Therefore first number over
1000 that satisfies the same criteria is 4600

We may find also non-technical reasons. For MotoGP enthusiasts, #46 is
Valentino Rossi's number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Valentino_Rossi). Finally, in the smorfia napoletana (a book that
details the tradition of Naple's people of interpreting dreams by
associating them with numbers and then betting them in the state
lottery) "46" means "money": not bad :-) Of course, these are just for
joke :-)

Ciao,
Stefano.

Stefano Sanna (gerdavax)

Jun 12, 2009, 5:00:56 PM6/12/09
to quadraspace
Ciao Cristian,

On Jun 12, 10:49 pm, Cristian Sileo <cristian.si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh man, you're the one!..right reasons to choose the 4600 tcp port!

unfortunately we have to move to another port (I've proposed the
4646), since 4600 is already assigned.

>(OT: typing from a Magic!)

:-) cool!

Ciao!

Emanuele Di Saverio

Jun 15, 2009, 4:40:36 AM6/15/09
to quadr...@googlegroups.com
Howdy!
4646 is good for me. Maybe if we have time we could setup a reverse proxy from port 80 or 8080 to 4646 on our server.
I'm not really a network person, but if someone tries to call QSServer from behind a company proxy or some other form of
gestapo security system, he could not be able to reach...

Stefano Sanna

Jun 15, 2009, 4:43:40 AM6/15/09
to quadr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Emanuele Di
Saverio<emanuele....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy!
> 4646 is good for me. Maybe if we have time we could setup a reverse proxy
> from port 80 or 8080 to 4646 on our server.
> I'm not really a network person, but if someone tries to call QSServer from
> behind a company proxy or some other form of
> gestapo security system, he could not be able to reach...

I proposed the 4646 for the REST service, while leaving ports 80 and
8080 for web app (that is: what is actually accessed with browsers).
Anyway, port number is not an issue now! :-)

Ciao,
Ste.

--
Stefano Sanna - gerd...@tiscali.it