QuadraServer TCP port number

Stefano Sanna (gerdavax)

Jun 12, 2009, 4:33:13 PM6/12/09
to quadraspace
Ciao.

We are close to have a server where to run the first instance of
QuadraServer and it's time to find a free TCP port for its end-points.

I propose to use TCP port 4600, for the following reasons:

1) it's free, according to List of TCP and UDP port numbers on
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers)

2) the first number (in italian) which digits start respectively with
"Q" and "S" is Quaranta Sei (forty six). Therefore first number over
1000 that satisfies the same criteria is 4600

We may find also non-technical reasons. For MotoGP enthusiasts, #46 is
Valentino Rossi's number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Valentino_Rossi). Finally, in the smorfia napoletana (a book that
details the tradition of Naple's people of interpreting dreams by
associating them with numbers and then betting them in the state
lottery) "46" means "money": not bad :-) Of course, these are just for
joke :-)

Ciao,
Stefano.

Stefano Sanna (gerdavax)

Jun 12, 2009, 4:55:55 PM6/12/09
to quadraspace
Sorry guys,

I've found that actually the port 4600 is registered to IP Virtual
Server and it is utilized by the Piranha1 service. According to the
complete IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority,
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) port list, 4603-4657
range is unassigned, therefore we may look for the TCP port 4646 (just
to keep the fortysix).

Ciao,
Stefano.

On Jun 12, 10:33 pm, "Stefano Sanna (gerdavax)" <gerda...@gmail.com>