multi screen setup

moo52

Oct 21, 2021, 5:06:43 AM10/21/21
to qtile-dev
hey every one
i was trying to find how qtile work with multi screen and there is no such thing in decumentation except of setting screen for bar
working with two monitor is a big deal for me
i need two setup two things
- to link groups for specific screen for example 123 are for first monitor only and 456 for second one only
- shortcut to send the active window to the second display in displayed group ( this could be a work around for the first one)

James Wright

Oct 21, 2021, 1:56:58 PM10/21/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
Those should be fairly "easy" to do with some custom functions. How familiar are you with Python?

- to link groups for specific screen for example 123 are for first monitor only and 456 for second one only
Would those groups be hard set in the config, or are you looking for them to be flexible?

- shortcut to send the active window to the second display in displayed group ( this could be a work around for the first one)
This would be much simpler to implement as a custom Python function.

This could be done similarly to my MutableScratch system (operates more similarly to i3's scratch window system. I've been meaning to release it as a separate extension package, but haven't had the time...) and my move_next_screen function. The MutableScratch sends windows to/from an empty-named group, while `move_next_screen` moves groups between screens.

محمد

Oct 21, 2021, 5:57:15 PM10/21/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
first of all thanks for your replay
i have a basic understanding of python oop syntax
i know theoretically it should be fairly easy but i cannot find a clear guidance for qtile functions all i have read in documentation is how to write configuration and there is no explanation how to program a function and use class that is available
if you could send me example's of function's and class that i should use i would be very thankful
sorry for my poor english

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Oct 2021, at 7:57 PM, James Wright <ja...@jameswright.xyz> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "qtile-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qtile-dev/CAHErDQiM9EusEP7zqC2%3DoLEdoMZrTH8tV27%2B8r3os%3DuBQyPd3g%40mail.gmail.com.

James Wright

Oct 21, 2021, 7:30:49 PM10/21/21
to qtile-dev
The links I sent in the first reply were examples of custom functions and classes that I use in qtile. The my entire qtile config (ie. all the python files needed for my configuration) can be found here: https://github.com/jrwrigh/dotfiles2.0/tree/T14/.config/qtile

When "hacking" in python, two built-in commands will be your friends: 'dir' and 'type'. 'type' tells you what type of object you're dealing with. 'dir' lists all the attributes of a object.

I also highly recommend bypassing qtile's command client for figuring out how everything works under the hood and instead use 'aiomanhole`. This gives you direct access to the qtile process's Python interpreter, which allows you to run 'dir' and 'type' commands on the base 'qtile' object itself (which is the argument to lazy functions). I find that the command client generally doesn't help when writing functions (possibly something I misunderstand about how it works).
If you go down the 'aiomanhole' route, note that running "exit" while in that remote session will "exit" the Python process itself, which kills qtile and will kick you back to the login screen. Instead, you just have to Ctrl+C or close the terminal to get out without killing qtile.

Lastly, your english is actually quite good. Much better than me speaking any other language. haha

محمد

Oct 28, 2021, 4:54:58 AM10/28/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response which made me use qtile and open my eye's to the whole capabilities
I have written my configuration, and made a shortcut for moving focus to another screen I'm really enjoying qtile, in the future I will share my coning with details to make it more easy for someone to discover qtile full potential

James Wright

Oct 29, 2021, 5:38:47 PM10/29/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear! Happy I could help you.