wm groups match question / help

Justine Smithies

Jun 12, 2021, 3:47:07 AM6/12/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or missing but i cannot seem to find the answer to the following issue that I have. I can easily get qtile to open applications in various groups by their wm_class for example but firefox only partially works. If I open firefox it does indeed switch to the group it is tasked to and if i move to another group and open another firefoxfox instance i am swiftly transported back to it's group and i see the two instances. My issue is that I use tabs on firefox and if i open a new tab using a selected link from newsboat it does open the new tab in the selected group but it does not change focus to the opened firefox tabs group.

Is this possible or am I speaking rubbish ?

My current qtile config is here:

ATM I have setup newsboat to open a new firefox instance with a specific class to keep it in my newsboat group.

Thanks in advance

Justine

Refael Sheinker

Jul 10, 2022, 5:19:18 AM7/10/22
to qtile-dev
I have the exact same problem and dont know how to solve it.

Gibranlp

Jul 18, 2022, 1:13:13 PM7/18/22
to qtile-dev
I use a hook to acomplish this

@hook.subscribe.client_name_updated
def follow_window_name(client):
for group in groups:
match = next((m for m in group.matches if m.compare(client)), None)
if match:
targetgroup = qtile.groups_map[group.name]
targetgroup.cmd_toscreen(toggle=False)
break

You may need to edit it for you to work, one thing i have with this is for example, when i receive a new message on telegram, i inmeadiately get transported to the group where telegram is, so im still trying to fix that but this works so far