Help with tiling mpv

Karthik Chikmagalur

Oct 9, 2021, 2:54:47 AM10/9/21
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
I have a rule to float mpv windows by default (among others):

floating_layout = layout.Floating(float_rules=[Match(wm_class='mpv')])

And mpv floats by default. So far so good.

When I tile mpv manually however (with lazy.toggle_floating()), I expect it to stay tiled.

1. Every time it moves to the next item in a playlist, the window automatically floats.
2. If I send the tiled mpv window to another desktop, it automatically floats.

Why is this happening? Is there some way to make its floating/tiling state persistent when I change it manually?

-Karthik

elParaguayo

Oct 9, 2021, 3:21:53 AM10/9/21
to qtile-dev
I can understand that it would float when moving to another group as groups check the floating rules when a window is added. There's no difference between moving a window between groups and adding a new window.

However, the first one confuses me. I can't see why that should happen. The window id doesn't change between playlist items. The only thing I can see is a `client_focus` event but I'm not sure why that would trigger the floating rules to be applied.

Can you try it with the debug log enabled and see if there's anything obvious there? You can post as an issue on github.