Spawning a command in specified group

Milkias Yeheyis

Feb 10, 2022, 12:03:47 PM2/10/22
to qtile-dev
I was wondering if there was a way to run a command and have the window spawn in a chosen group. For example on startup, have firefox open in group 3. And note I don't want the window to always spawn on this group, just for this once so matches are not an option.

Mike Erdely

Feb 10, 2022, 12:53:33 PM2/10/22
to qtil...@googlegroups.com
qtile run-cmd -g 3 firefox

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 12:03 PM Milkias Yeheyis <milkia...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was wondering if there was a way to run a command and have the window spawn in a chosen group. For example on startup, have firefox open in group 3. And note I don't want the window to always spawn on this group, just for this once so matches are not an option.

Milkias Yeheyis

Feb 10, 2022, 3:31:07 PM2/10/22
to qtile-dev
Tnx a lot. But is there a way to do it inside python to make it easier to write in config instead of system calls?

me

Feb 10, 2022, 11:25:55 PM2/10/22
to qtile-dev

What I use is
 Group('9', position=9, label='', spawn=['kitty -e ranger']),
 to start ranger on group 9 on start of qtile

But the problem i have with this is that I have a match for kitty on group 2, so when the ranger window gets spawned, it is moved to group 2. I haven't found a way around that yet.

Milkias Yeheyis

Feb 13, 2022, 12:50:34 AM2/13/22
to qtile-dev
Thanks a lot that might work for me. As for your problem, you should just do kitty --class "{somename} -e ranger instead of the previous command on the spawn list. This would create a kitty terminal with a different wm_class than kitty.