Spawning in group

hkgor...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2022, 3:23:34 PM3/29/22
to qtile-dev
So for starting an app on start, there is the spawn argument. However, even without setting any match criteria for the group, the same app will automatically spawn if that initial group even when I am in another group.

Example:
set xterm to launch in group 2 on start
xterm launches and i am in group one (on boot)
i try to launch xterm while i am in group 1
the xterm instead launches in group 2

elParaguayo

Mar 29, 2022, 3:27:12 PM3/29/22
to qtile-dev
We're going to need some more information to help.

Can you share your config so we can see how you've set things up?

hkgor...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2022, 11:38:26 AM4/5/22
to qtile-dev
Hi,
Sorry for late reply. Here is the code I'm referring to.

Launching the app using `spawn` without any matching:
```
    Group(
        "9",
        label="web",
        layout="monadtall",
        spawn="vivaldi-stable",
    ),
```

After launching, I want to launch another vivaldi window in another group.
Steps:
1. switch to group 1
2. press shortcut to launch vivaldi/ launch it with dmenu
3. instead of launching in group 1, the new window launches in group 9

I suspect the `spawn` "function" also force a match of all vivaldi instances to group 9

Refael Sheinker

Jul 10, 2022, 12:25:40 AM7/10/22
to qtile-dev
I have exactly the same problem (in my case its "firefox" instead of "vivladi-stable").