Anything else we should focus on testing

Kevin Reeve

Mar 3, 2021, 9:29:03 PM3/3/21
to qthapp-users
List is pretty quiet. Are there any specific things we should focus on testing?

Kevin N7RXE

Weston Bustraan

Mar 4, 2021, 12:40:31 PM3/4/21
to Kevin Reeve, qthapp-users
It's probably good that it's quiet; my family and I are getting ready for a much needed vacation.

I'm on a programming detour at the moment, which is something that happens every so often, with me. In this case, the thing that sent me off on a detour is that I realized that the SmartBeaconing functionality is likely non-functional right now, and that needs to be fixed. SmartBeaconing is a little hard to test in the real world, because it's designed to react to changes in location, speed, and direction. It isn't very reasonable to make my wife drive me around any time I want to test things. So, the obvious solution is to simulate it.

The question was then, how do I get a series of coordinates into QTH.app in order to simulate a moving station over time, and what format to use? I can export tracks from various tools in KML (Keyhole Markup Language), so that is the primary format I'm aiming for. Unfortunately, I did not find an existing KML parsing library in Swift that I liked, so I'm currently building one from scratch. I intend to open source the framework once it's done. It's currently able to parse all the sample files I've thrown at it, Now I'm working on the round trip; getting it to write files out. When it's done, not only will I be able to load a track in and simulate it, the goal is also to be able to import and export files for things in QTH.

Just so you all know, my primary target use case for QTH.app is all about search and rescue. In my county, I am a member of our local CERT team and have been involved in several SAR operations. APRS has always seemed like a natural fit for an operation like that, where you are tracking assets in areas that are sometimes away from conventional infrastructure. So, this tends to influence a lot of the features in QTH. The timeline is a good example of this. It was designed to answer a question like "where was tac team A when they contacted us at 3:30?". In the case of KML support, I can definitely see a potential need of a format to import data into your GIS or CalTopo system

In the interim, if you would like to know an area to focus on, I would say RX and TX over RF. While I've tested APRS-IS pretty extensively, RF is an area where I am at a disadvantage when testing, due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere. I have essentially zero digipeaters or iGates within range of me, so most of my testing has to be between two pieces of my own gear.

- Wes, W8WJB

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:29 PM Kevin Reeve <kevi...@gmail.com> wrote:
List is pretty quiet. Are there any specific things we should focus on testing?

Kevin N7RXE