Map updating issue

Kevin Reeve

Mar 29, 2021, 3:29:32 PM3/29/21
to qthapp-users
Interesting thing I noticed on Friday evening.  I was connected to the APRS server T2OREGON.

I was following a friends vehicle making a 200 mile trip.  I thought perhaps he had stopped in a weird location as the map position would not update, however the time stamp in QHT did update so it looked recent.  Finally after an hour I went on APRS.fi and noticed he had been moving the entire time, the map on QTH was just not updating.

Please note I saw other trackable vehicles on QTH update during this time.  It was just this one that I could tell.

Will watch for it again.  I will test with RF and see.

Kevin N7RXE.

PS>. The Decoding APRS packets with rtl-sdr looks cool.  On my list to try out.

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Mar 29, 2021, 4:01:43 PM3/29/21
to Kevin Reeve, qthapp-users
He probably stopped at the edge of your range specification.  Unless you are explicitly asking for his packets in your APRS-IS filter, you won't "see" him outside of your range.

One option is for the program to automatically add a buddy (b/) term to the APRS-IS filter whenever you are explicitly following a specific station.  I do that (and more) in APRSISCE/32.  See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters for ideas.

Kevin Reeve

Mar 29, 2021, 5:14:46 PM3/29/21
to qthapp-users
Good idea Lynn,  I have my connection parameters in QTH set to
Include. Packets in Area.  Visible map boundaries.

Which as I understand it and from some previous discussion on this group should update as I Zoom in and Out of the map, so my range is the visible map boundaries.
Now it is possible (not sure) that the area he stopped updating on map was outside at one time as he progressed and I did not update the map.   But it was not always the case.

Kevin

Weston Bustraan

Mar 29, 2021, 8:53:05 PM3/29/21
to Kevin Reeve, qthapp-users
Yes, you're correct; If you have your filter set to "Include Packets in Area Visible map boundaries", it will send a "a/latN/lonW/latS/lonE" filter to the server that will update when you pan/zoom the map. You should be able to see the updated filter go out if you are watching the log.

I have experienced some instances in the past where the remote side of the socket (the APRS-IS server) hangs up and QTH.app doesn't seem to get notified. I have attempted to fix this by enabling keepalives and setting the timeout appropriately, but I think this tends to happen primarily when the system goes to sleep and then wakes up. It never seems to happen while I'm actively using the system, only when I leave it running overnight and wake it up in the morning. This doesn't seem to be the same as your situation, though, since it sounds like you were still receiving other packets.

At the very least, if QTH.app receives a packet from APRS-IS that it cannot parse, it will definitely report that in the log; it should never fail silently in that regard.

I am currently doing some work on the tracking part of QTH, so if it was a bug in the tracking support, hopefully it will be improved in the next update.

However, if the APRS-IS server never sends the packets to you, I'm really sure how to fix that; it seems like it would be an upstream issue.

If you have a station that you are watching and you think it might go out of the range, Lynn's advice is great; I would recommend a "Budlist filter", where the equivalent in QTH.app is a filter of "[include] [callsigns] [in] CALL1,CALL2,etc" I personally have everyone in the beta in a custom buddy list so I can see the packets regardless of range.

I like Lynn's idea of an automatic buddy list filter. The groundwork is already there in QTH. You can already mark stations as favorites; it would be trivial to collect those into a filter list.

- Wes, W8WJB