APRS-IS and Filters

Andy McMullin

Feb 18, 2021, 10:19:12 AM2/18/21
to Weston Bustraan, qthapp-users
Hi Again,

It now seems that, most of the time, I am now receiving data from APRS-IS. I can’t prove it but it seems that sometimes the host that I connect to (when I select one of the European server pool) doesn’t send things back out to me — close the link, open again and get connected to a different server and it works.

Also, the default zoom level of my map is quite wide. If I start the APRS-IS connection without zooming in, I get far too much traffic. Without being able to set the zoom level on startup of the application, I don’t see how I could turn on an auto-connect at the same time.

I’m now querying the filter function. I’ve asked it to filter out all objects — but that doesn’t seem to work. The logs shows what seems to be the correct filter command ( -o/* ) but I still get all the objects a local idiot sends out. Does the group think that’s the right filter command? Any idea why it might not work?

An alternative would be to filter the symbol being used which is a letter inside a diamond. According to the filter tables that would be a -s//# but I can’t see how to get that with the filter selector box. Can I enter a filter by hand?

Regards
Andy, G8TQH

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)

Feb 18, 2021, 12:46:44 PM2/18/21
to Andy McMullin, Weston Bustraan, qthapp-users
I can't help you with where to enter a manual filter term, but I'd
suggest -t/o to filter out all object packets.  Although I would have
thought your -o/* would have worked as well.