How many of you are really developing applications with HbQt ?

Pritpal Bedi

Mar 19, 2023, 12:04:41 AM3/19/23
to QtContribs
Hi All

Can you raise your hands that you are still working with HbQt ?

I am thinking to upgrade it to version 5.15, the last version Qt is supporting with widget based stack but have no motivation to do so. So your cummulative effor, just to announce that you still work, may prove decisive in that direction.

In the recent few months I have developed many production grade applications for my company with very high degree of usability and user experience, including GET system, and am sure HbQt  is way more easy and useful tool for Harbourians.

Looking for good response from you.

Pritpal Bedi
a student of software analysis & concepts
Message has been deleted

Zoran Sibinovic

Mar 19, 2023, 4:09:47 AM3/19/23
to QtContribs
Hi Pritpal,
hi to all,

Well.. I start to use and develop my apps almost from the beginning of the HbQt existance.
The part that I mostly use is located in the hbqtwidgets folder which reflects an evolved usage of Clipper code and objects in a GUI environment, very, very nice.
I develop myHbQtbrowse instance inherit the default hbqtbrowse.prg, why? Well, there are lot of restrictions in the native Clipper code of column and browse creation, starting from the colors you can use, the fonts, the edit in freezeed columns, allowed text lenght, alignment and rows in the header, not allowed images in the header, resizing etc.
But  with your development of making the relation of Qt .ui and our standard code was revolutionary, at least, for me, because you can create your window visually in Qt Creator with all the objects in it, theis sizes, colors and more and than just rule on them trought your personal code. Before of that lot of time was spent in how it looks in the imagination in our heads. Now the coding is very fast and, thank you for that work.
I use HbQt today also, I think it is very versatile , I stuck in the Qt5.5.1 version. A year, two ago we had a long discussion about the memory problem with the newer versions since they hungs the apps with the table/browse usage. This kind of behaviour was reported from lot of Qt users on their site, but nothing was fixed from Qt. So, when you mostly use the browse instances you stuck in Qt version for some other possibilities.
Some days ago I wanted to use QtCharts, but ...  this class is introducted in the newer versions, also QtCalendarWidget doesn't allows multiple selection, etc.
Lot of solutions for my purposes I find on the net from pyton and other environment code. They look similar so you have just to apply our sintax et voila, it works.
Anyway.
I really wanted to upgrade my environment, just I am afraid of memory problems and unstability from the past.
I you find to make this upgrade, be sure I will try it and I will bother you with lot of questions. :)
In the attachment there are some of my windows, a browse, a rent booking calerndat app, theatre booking with seats etc. just to show what can be done.

Thank you for all you have already done for all of us.
Best regards
Zoran
ggUntitled.png
c1Untitled.png
ffUntitled.png
c2Untitled.png
eeUntitled.png
ddUntitled.png

Luigi Ferraris

Mar 19, 2023, 5:34:01 AM3/19/23
to QtContribs
Hi Pritpal,
glad to meet you again.

Short answer: I think it would be great.

Long answer:
when many years ago MrDuck told me about Qt and your HbQt project, I was very excited, because you gave me a way to open my projects to WINDOW and NIX world, with a very professional look and portability.
I have no business but I write simple programs and I am very happy to use HbQt.
Like you, I am convinced that using HbQt is a great opportunity for all HARBORIANS, obviously reviewing the way of thinking about programs, I am referring to the known, usual, repeated backwards compatibility.
I know you spend your time, energy, resources and have business interests and open source is not a way to get money, instead it could give you liver ache.
If you are willing, if you have the time, energy and patience to continue the evolution of HbQt, I will be very, very happy and I will be very grateful to you.

Best regards
Luigi Ferraris

Francesco Perillo

Mar 19, 2023, 5:53:40 PM3/19/23
to qtcon...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I have one application in production that uses hbQt (one backend and the frontend). In the past I created several proof of concept to port the text based software to Gui but... the users don't care at all !!! They have been using the software since 1987 (first release) and several forms have the same shortcuts since then, so they are very quick to use it.

I ported the modules of a specific part of the application since the text-mode was really space-limited and was very difficult to handle. With HbQt (and Hql3, a library developed primarily by Luigi) I can handle everything more cleanly. I also tried to style it with QSS and different fonts but I did not have a big success.

I'm still at Qt 5.5.0... no need to move to a later version, at the moment.

I attach one screenshot of a table, no need for monospaced fonts.But this is a HqlTableWidget, but I don't see any special font handling in the code.

It is possible to find a lot of widgets to import in a project and write a little wrapper to use in HbQt but not everything is up to a good coding standard and there are tons of slightly different versions of the same objects. If you know c++ it can be very rewarding. Python has a way to create widgets directly in python, it's a bit more complicated in Harbour.

Francesco

PS: actually I remember of another small program that uses Qt to display some statistics in a tabular format and in a graph, but I don't use QtGraph but a library I converted from another project harbour project.

Immagine001.png

Lautaro Moreira

Mar 20, 2023, 12:16:27 AM3/20/23
to qtcon...@googlegroups.com, Lautaro Moreira
First : HbQT is wonderful, thank you very much for it

Second: My main application is made with harbor + hbqt and it works very well, it is a tax control application, plus an erp and others.

Third: I also have a small application for android, also with harbor + hbqt

It would be great if you could update the library.

Thank you

Lautaro Moreira

sxcha...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2023, 2:05:30 PM6/21/23
to QtContribs
Hi everyone.

I've been enjoying HbQt for 8 years now and am primarily using it with my main app, used by 5 of my clients (and I'm planning to add more), all doing businesses in the field of distribution/marketing/retail.  The project I developed using it is working fully well and very functional. It runs fast, portable, has a beautiful and responsive interface, intuitive, and with cool features too like data visualization/charting.

I prefer in using your project as my main tool because of its speed, functionality, portability, and ease of use. I'm so glad that you've managed to tap into the power of Qt effectively and seamlessly. I've attached screenshots of my dashboard with charting (live data hence the blur for confidentiality) so everyone might see how capable HbQt really is.

Thank you for your effort Pritpal and the guys in this community. I really admire your work with much respect for the time and talent you've put into this project.

Regards from The Philippines,

Charles
IMG_20230622_013712_edit_140064838925682.pngIMG_20230622_015934_edit_140315465127513.png

Mahmoud Fayed

Jun 21, 2023, 10:24:59 PM6/21/23
to QtContribs
Hello Pritpal

In 2010 I created a small programming language for simple GUI apps called Supernova: https://supernova.sourceforge.net/
The multi-platform edition of this language used HbQt (At this time HbQt was in it's early stages)
And the experience was so nice & fun (It works very well for me)

In 2013 when I started working on the Ring programming language: http://ring-lang.net
I decided to create RingQt and add it to the language, Also creating an IDE (Ring Notepad) too
The motivation behind this work (RingQt/Ring Notepad) was realizing how this will be very useful after my experience with HbQt/HbIDE

So your work on open source projects like HbQt/HbIDE is influencing other open-source developers to contribute many years of knowledge and experience to develop beautiful and useful software.

Keep up the GREAT WORK :D

Greetings,
Mahmoud