[Development] Qt 5.0 alpha released

marius.st...@nokia.com

Apr 3, 2012, 11:01:04 AM4/3/12
to anno...@qt-project.org, devel...@qt-project.org, rele...@qt-project.org, inte...@qt-project.org

Hi,

We are happy to announce the Qt 5.0 alpha release. This is the first major Qt release since the Qt Project went live, and a large amount of work and features have gone into this release.

Blog post: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/04/03/qt-5-alpha/

Download page: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-Alpha

Thanks a lot for all the contributions and feedback, and thanks to all the people who made this happen!

The Qt Project

--

Marius Storm-Olsen

Head of Qt OSS

Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Girish Ramakrishnan

Apr 3, 2012, 12:14:11 PM4/3/12
to Jason H, qt-interest, devel...@qt-project.org
Hi Jason,
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Jason H <scor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was worried this would be a Duke Nukem Forever situation, I'm glad to see
> its not! :-)
>
> But last I checked there were many holes, like Windows desktop components,
> etc. It seems that Sybmian was very supported and the desktops were not. Is
> this no longer the case?

(note: I removed all the lists except dev)

Window desktop components still don't exist but Widgets work just fine
with Qt5 just like in Qt4.

Symbian is no longer supported in Qt5.

Girish

Sivan Greenberg

Apr 3, 2012, 2:47:10 PM4/3/12
to Girish Ramakrishnan, qt-interest, devel...@qt-project.org, Jason H
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Girish Ramakrishnan
<gir...@forwardbias.in> wrote:
> Window desktop components still don't exist but Widgets work just fine
> with Qt5 just like in Qt4.

They are in the works right?

> Symbian is no longer supported in Qt5.

I'd be surprised greatly if the Next Billion transition platform is no
longer supported in Qt5, surely an announcement mistake?

-Sivan

a.gr...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2012, 2:48:17 PM4/3/12

On 3 April 2012 18:14, Girish Ramakrishnan <gir...@forwardbias.in> wrote:
> Symbian is no longer supported in Qt5.

what?!?!

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi

Robin Burchell

Apr 3, 2012, 3:01:20 PM4/3/12
to Sivan Greenberg, qt-interest, devel...@qt-project.org, Jason H
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Sivan Greenberg <si...@omniqueue.com> wrote:
> I'd be surprised greatly if the Next Billion transition platform is no
> longer supported in Qt5, surely an announcement mistake?

no mistake, and this is not a new announcement - I'm fairly sure this
was made clear in QtCS 2011 when most of the talks around Qt 5 started
happening. the code was (mostly) stripped out a very long time ago.

this of course doesn't really stop someone trying to add it back
(ditto any other platform...), if they can commit to maintaining it,
but nobody working on v5 at the present time has indicated any desire
to do so as far as I'm aware.

lorn....@nokia.com

Apr 3, 2012, 3:14:56 PM4/3/12
to si...@omniqueue.com, qt-in...@qt.nokia.com, devel...@qt-project.org, scor...@yahoo.com

On 04/04/2012, at 4:47 AM, ext Sivan Greenberg wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Girish Ramakrishnan
> <gir...@forwardbias.in> wrote:
>> Window desktop components still don't exist but Widgets work just fine
>> with Qt5 just like in Qt4.
>
> They are in the works right?
>

>> Symbian is no longer supported in Qt5.
>
> I'd be surprised greatly if the Next Billion transition platform is no
> longer supported in Qt5, surely an announcement mistake?

I am fairly certain it's been removed.

> -Sivan

Lorn Potter
Senior Software Engineer, Core Enablers/QtSensors

Thiago Macieira

Apr 3, 2012, 5:36:25 PM4/3/12
to devel...@qt-project.org
On terça-feira, 3 de abril de 2012 21.47.10, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Girish Ramakrishnan
>
> <gir...@forwardbias.in> wrote:
> > Window desktop components still don't exist but Widgets work just fine
> > with Qt5 just like in Qt4.
>
> They are in the works right?

The project still exists and is a target for a later Qt 5 release. However, I
have no idea if there has been activity on it for the past few months.

> > Symbian is no longer supported in Qt5.
>
> I'd be surprised greatly if the Next Billion transition platform is no
> longer supported in Qt5, surely an announcement mistake?

There's no mistake. Your sentence is right and the announcement is right:

- Symbian is not supported
- Qt will be part of the Next Billion strategy

signature.asc

Mark

Apr 4, 2012, 3:50:32 AM4/4/12
to Thiago Macieira, devel...@qt-project.org
2012/4/3 Thiago Macieira <thiago....@intel.com>

To all of the Qt team:
Congrats on making this first major alpha release! I really look forward to start playing with QML 2 and the neat shader effects.

Sadly no binary release for windows.. i kinda dislike to compile Qt on windows.
Is the beta release going to have a windows binary?

Kind regards,
Mark