[Qt-qml] Image item and Symbian gfx memory

Cornelius Hald

Jan 10, 2012, 11:20:43 AM1/10/12
to qt-...@qt.nokia.com
Hi,

I sometimes have the problem that instead of images I get black or
transparent rectangles on Symbian. I've been told that this happens
whenever the Symbian (shared) graphics memory is full.

My question is what is the best way to free graphics memory?

E.g. if a list delegate or a page contain images but they are currently
not visible (either because covered by another page or because being
of-screen) do those images still take gfx memory? If yes how can I
prevent this?

- Set visible to false?
- Set source to ""?
- Trigger garbage collector?
- Something else or combinations?

As I can't find any documentation about that some input would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Conny

Mark Tucker

Jan 10, 2012, 11:55:45 AM1/10/12
to qt-...@qt.nokia.com
Hello,

I believe that setting the source to "" will cause the image and any
memory it's using to be freed up - I've had to do something similar
myself recently.

Mark T

Cornelius Hald

Jan 11, 2012, 3:39:54 AM1/11/12
to Mark Tucker, qt-...@qt.nokia.com
Hi Mark,

thanks for the answer. I'm currently toggling visibility without any
effects. I'll try setting the source to "". Let's hope this helps. It's
difficult to say because those issues do not occur during every run but
more randomly.

Thanks,
Conny

Harri Pasanen

Jan 11, 2012, 6:14:27 AM1/11/12
to qt-...@qt.nokia.com
You can perhaps trigger the behaviour more easily by launching another
graphics using application and moving it into background. Something
like Need for Speed seems to hog the graphics memory quite nicely, but
there must be smaller examples.

/Harri

Cornelius Hald

Jan 11, 2012, 8:29:57 AM1/11/12
to Harri Pasanen, qt-...@qt.nokia.com
Good tip. Running Angry Birds in the background does all kinds of weird
stuff to my UI. E.g. Qt Components toolbars drawn transparently, content
scrolling over toolbar and statusbar... :/

I'll experiment some more.

Thanks!
Conny